Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?

Go down 
+15
steb74
Guitarmaniac
ruger9
Pirate Paul
Jon524
Brett
Andi
lisathegreaser.
mjcodina
johnnykool327
Rickabilly
Rocky Mountain Cat
tvthewiredturtle
Hot Rod Girl
peeteycat
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
peeteycat

peeteycat

BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Empty
PostSubject: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Is it true? A little boy soprano told me the BSO would be on with Conan.
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Well, the tour kicks off on the 20th in Detroit, so I guess a 18th performance on the Tonight Show wouldn't be too far fetched. I'd think they'd make an announcement over on the official site when it's a sure thing, wouldn't they?

Interesting....
hrg
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:43 am

peeteycat wrote:

Budgie ? I thought he sang Mezzo Soprano now..
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 am

peeteycat wrote:

It is true - they are on tv with Conan. This is from the NBC.com schedule:

Wednesday, November 18, 2009
11:34 PM The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien
107 - SETH GREEN, HEIDI MONTAG, SPENCER PRATT, BRIAN SETZER ORCHESTRA All New

I wonder what they'll play?
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Our friggin' NBC affiliate cut to commercial in the middle of the solo - maybe the band hit some kind of tone that automatically threw it to a local break. All I know is when the show came back, Brian was on the couch and Conan was in the middle of saying his goodbyes. I mean, I know it's a long song, but sheesh, you think they'd be able to make it another 2 minutes! Hopefully, there wasn't some horrible disaster in the taping that caused them to edit it. Tony Pia seemed like he was hanging on for dear life!

Let's hope Hulu or YouTube or some enterprising fan can get the whole clip posted here soon!

Trouble-billy
Back to top Go down
johnnykool327

johnnykool327

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Friggin ouch...

Stupid nebraska TV stations.

I am planning on getting the file tomorrow afternoon.
If it isnt up by then, I can hopefully get it on youtube before tomorrow night, work and evening plans permitting

HOLY HELL

That band looked slick.

BK
Back to top Go down
http://kingawayretrievers.com
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Well I guess we know what that mystery amp is that he was using during the radio gig. what is that Tech Men?
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:04 pm

For those who didn't get to see it, they played Trouble Train.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:28 pm

mjcodina wrote:
Well I guess we know what that mystery amp is that he was using during the radio gig. what is that Tech Men?

RE-301 space echo in the room atop the anvil road case. Amp is either in another isolation booth mic'd up or space echo is running straight to the board perhaps to Digi-003 using amp farm or some plug in.

Mic was an RE-20 with some compression, some ambience would have been nice but I appreciated it as it showed his true voice. Most singers sound like ass singing straight to a board.
Back to top Go down
lisathegreaser.

lisathegreaser.

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 pm

We seen the whole thing till the end when credits were rolling. Here in NYC.

Loved the suit! Looking good! And the orchestra jackets , the dresses this tour.

Solo was excellent!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Yeah, I figured the blackout was an Omaha thing, as it cut to a local car dealer commercial. You could tell someone f'ed it up at the local station, as they stayed on a test pattern for 40 seconds or so after the local ads before reconnecting to the national feed - we had audio of Conan for about 15 seconds and then about 10-15 seconds of video - enough to see Brian on the couch - did Conan chat with him at all?

Hopefully, when Brian gets out East, he'll do some more television - the Today show tapings, Letterman, Rachel Ray, Jimmy Fallon... And more Lonely Ave tracks than Xmas, please! There's no writer's strike this year, so book those shows!

Lookin' sharp-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm putting in my 15th hour at work today and missed the whole thing - looking forward to catching it on Conan's website tomorrow. How'd Trouble Train sound live with the band, everyone? How was the voice? It was a bit odd having the first "live" representation of SFLA being a radio gig with the band on tape.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 12:09 am

Brian was in fairly fine voice - it seemed like the Tonight Show sound guys didn't quite have a handle on how to mike the Orchestra. That's gotta be tough, because the horns drop out a few times and let the rhythm section take over, so keeping the vocals above the horns when they do come in must be challenging. Spazz, Tony, Brian, and the vocals were quite strong, and upon a second listen, the horns were actually not buried, as I first thought. In fact there are times where they might even be a bit loud - not their fault, mind you. The BSO's much bigger than Conan's house band. Again, my ears deceived me on first listen, as I thought Tony was slightly off from Brian on the first guitar riff. Not the case at all - it's just harder to hear because of the loose hi-hat cymbal. It takes some getting used to hearing females on the backing vocals - I really love the Jordanaires-type vocals on the album. Of course, I missed the second half of the song. This was the first live performance of new material (unless there has been a private gig somewhere). Not too shabby. They will sound fantastic on tour.

Brians gorgeous ebony Gretsch matched up well with his slick silver suit, and the orchestra had black suits with striking white lapels and long white neckties. Definitely a more formal look than previous BSO tours. Diggin' the skyline backdrop from the album cover. Hopefully this means a lot of Lonely Ave charts will be played on tour. I realize Xmas tunes plus hits don't leave a lot of time for new stuff, but it may be the only time some of the Songs From Lonely Avenue tracks get performed.

Viral Video Train-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Recovered from the trauma of the broadcast dropping out - better on 2nd listen)
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks Rick.

Just out of curiosity, did he sing the lyrics in the order he wrote them or did he improvise his way through the story like he did on Bob & Tom? Razz
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 am

Just saw the performance..very cool..very not rockabilly..very big band
and sophisticated.

Love that vintage Supro combo amp Brian, the signature Phoenix gretsch and the crazy ham-hock sideburns.

..think I even saw a Royer Ribbon mic on that amp!!
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 1:37 am

Yeah Tavo thats what i was talking about, that amp. thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:11 am

It was a fabulous performance. I liked the black and white jackets, but I must admit that I really miss the animal print, or even the basic black bowling shirt. But, I've been told that my tastes are a little cheesy...so, remember, it's just my opinion! Laughing

Too bad there wasn't time for an interview. Oh well, most talk shows like that don't interview the musical guest anyway.

Andi--you are really observant when it comes to picking up on lyrics and such. Geez, I would've never noticed the difference in the Bob n' Tom performance vs. the Conan show if you didn't point it out!

All in all, it was definitely worth staying up for!

Take care,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 7:21 am

In Europe we could see the show tonight at midnight....ooh man, hope i can watch... Sleep

btw: what is Jay Leno doing now? Only collecting cars?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 7:32 am

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
It was a fabulous performance. I liked the black and white jackets, but I must admit that I really miss the animal print, or even the basic black bowling shirt.

Although the formal attire suits the music of Songs From Lonely Avenue, and probably Wolfgang's Big Night Out, the white lapels on the coats are a little distracting for me. After watching last night's performance, I found myself having a craving for Hostess Cupcakes!

BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Box_cupcakes

Mmm... Cream Filling-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 am

mjcodina wrote:
Yeah Tavo thats what i was talking about, that amp. thanks for the info.

bid away!! the Supro thunderbolt awaits!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Supro-thunderbolt-combo-amplifier-vintage-valco-1960s_W0QQitemZ180431651965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a0290847d
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:04 am

Yaaay! Just got to watch it on DVR (thanks Mom!)

He sang the lyrics properly (thank you Brian, I love the story songs!! HRG, I can't help it, it's just one o' them many annoying things I do. Hee hee! Razz), he looked fanTAStic (those bushy whiskers, that shimmering suit, the tall hair, the big smile... hot damn!), his fingers and voice were on fire, and the band was incredible, as usual! I don't think I've ever seen them have an off night, though it must happen SOME time. I think Big King Fun was missing tho. Boo...

(I've now seen my photo on TV for a split second twice. I squee a little bit every time it happens.)

sunny
Back to top Go down
Jon524

Jon524

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:11 am

anyone know if its up on youtube yet or anything?
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 am

I think it's here:
http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/video/episodes/?apl=true

Watching now to see if it's actually last night's show yet. Watching a stupid vodka commercial at the moment...

Last edited by Andi on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : vokda??)
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 am

Woo-Hooo!

Widescreen!

Very niiiiiiiice!

That's definitely the link. After the vodka commercial, there's a chapter selection menu - click on chapter 5.

Worth the 11-hour wait for the complete performance. Thanks for the link, Andi!

Hi-Def-a-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 9:28 am

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
It was a fabulous performance. I liked the black and white jackets, but I must admit that I really miss the animal print, or even the basic black bowling shirt. But, I've been told that my tastes are a little cheesy...so, remember, it's just my opinion! Laughing

All in all, it was definitely worth staying up for!

Take care,
hrg

naw.. youre not cheesy. I miss all the tiki stuff, the leopard print, the schmaltz 'n zazz of a space age bachelor pad vibe..

but.. we're watchin Setzer turn into an ol'fart and it reminds me that I'm only 5 yrs away from 50 this xmas.
Its not a bad thing at all, it just aint so "cool", so "hip". Its more
Bobby Darin meets 60s Vegas... Suave n' Svelt!!

BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Bobby%20Darin%20smiling2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?   BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BSO on the Tonight Show 11/18?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next