Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Post your Setzer covers wish list.

Go down 
+16
Andi
jonhope
scatcatcnut
donpepe
Bear85
richjohnson26
t.man
Scatman
Twenty Flight Rick
Brent
webelvis
tvthewiredturtle
Spanishdavid
gretschoholic
sidelake bob
verevoof
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm

scatcatcnut wrote:
How about Rockabilly Riot Vol 2 - but concentrating on all the truly great rockabilly songs that were basically one hit wonders - Love Me -The Phantom, Black Slacks, Bip A Little, etc -trawl through any decent rockabilly comp and you'll find loads of candidates that would work really well in the hands of el sezterino.

I'm really enjoying Riot#1 again.. He would do great at covering some of the cooler country B-sides. The sock hop stuff must DIE!
On Riot#1 he was very careful to get the guitar tones just right, I mean it was all setzer but you could tell he wanted to do it all right!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:00 am

Riot is one of my most played Setzer albums alongside 68 CBS - I would like to hear him doing stuff that's a bit too 'dangerous' for the mainstream - some of that edgy rockabilly would be great.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 am

scatcatcnut wrote:
Riot is one of my most played Setzer albums alongside 68 CBS - I would like to hear him doing stuff that's a bit too 'dangerous' for the mainstream - some of that edgy rockabilly would be great.

I think my neighbors are sick of 68'comeback.. I cant have enough of that.
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

I think my neighbors are sick of 68'comeback.. I cant have enough of that.

Man.. thats the one there.... none better for me.... take some old obscure rockabilly gems and polish them up Ignition style bounce bounce

For example maybe raid Buddy Holly's early catalog - Rock A Bye Rock... Midnight Shift - both little known classics

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 pm

jonhope wrote:

For example maybe raid Buddy Holly's early catalog - Rock A Bye Rock... Midnight Shift - both little known classics

Oooh, now you're talkin'! Rock Around With Ollie Vee! One of the greatest rock'n'roll songs ever.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Bear85 wrote:
Oooh, now you're talkin'! Rock Around With Ollie Vee! One of the greatest rock'n'roll songs ever.

I concur. Loudly. This was the first Buddy song I ever really loved, after seeing the Buddy Holly Story. I seem to recall somewhere in the murky recesses of my mind there is video (I think?) of Setzer playing Ollie Vee for some event. Anybody wanna be Johnny-On-the-Spot with the scoop?

Y'know what I really want as a studio recording? The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Sweet Lorraine. I heard/saw it live one time, in 1994 at my very first BSO show, and it became one of my favorite songs of all time. Of course I love the cool mellowness of the King Cole Trio version, but I'd really like to have the BSO doing it.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 am

Andi wrote:
Bear85 wrote:

I concur. Loudly. This was the first Buddy song I ever really loved, after seeing the Buddy Holly Story. I seem to recall somewhere in the murky recesses of my mind there is video (I think?) of Setzer playing Ollie Vee for some event.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:46 am

Great clip, gretschoholic! I'm nowhere near being the expert that some of you all are, but I'm going to take a tab at a date on that show. 1987 or 88? What was the show, exactly? The neon sign in back makes it look like some kind of Buddy tribute TV special.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:13 am

Bear85 wrote:
Great clip, gretschoholic! I'm nowhere near being the expert that some of you all are, but I'm going to take a tab at a date on that show. 1987 or 88? What was the show, exactly? The neon sign in back makes it look like some kind of Buddy tribute TV special.

Thanks again!

According to Anchorman's Setzer eventology, it was recorded in Austin, Texas on Dec 19, 1987. And it was indeed a Buddy Holly tribute show. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:08 am

oh man..the video of all videos... the mullet setzer and fringes. now I cant listen to the song. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 am

Yes - Rock Around With Ollie Vee is a great tune - so much so that we have incorporated it into our live sets at our trio gigs for the past 6 months or so

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 am

Song i'd like to hear Brian do is "Rock island line"
I would also love a out and out jazz album. Wolfgang was bloody good though.

For balls to the wall,an other 68CBS album. With Bernie and Mark.
Think they would a cd with Brian.
I loved it when brian played that double neck and that, eh ? tv jones guitar, thats 10 years ago now.

But hey, its Brians music,and he can do what ever he wants too!

Oh Web elvis.................. Danny boy, just a pity, we did'nt get the whole song!

If Brian comes back to Scotland, could shout for "Flower of Scotland"!

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 5:57 pm

After 'Wolfgang' and 'Lonely Ave' i don't care what song's Brian covers as long as it's ROCKIN' like the 'Ignition' album.
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 am

Was strumming my guitar the other day and this thought came up...

I'd love to hear Brian play a Chuck Berry styled (Like rev-it-up-and-go) version of Status Quo's 'Caroline'!

What do you all think?

I've put a link to the song here as I'm told Quo are almost unknown the other side of the pond, is this true?

Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 11:22 am

It is true. Status Quo has virtually unknown status in the US, apart from the psychedelic "Pictures of Matchstick Men" from 1968. It's the same band, right?

Billy Fury, Cliff Richard (apart from "Devil Woman" "We Don't Talk Anymore" and "Suddenly" - with Olivia Newton-John) also do not get a lot of recognition here.

Status Quo seems to lack even the underground-ish support that US rockabilly fans have for bands like Matchbox, Crazy Cavan, and the Polecats. Is that because Status Quo have been around so long that they were old when the 70's and 80's revivalists hit big?

I like this tune you posted, Rich, but I would think if Brian were to cover a tune that sounded like Chuck Berry, he might as well cover a Chuck Berry song. Then again, who knows? He hasn't always shied away from obscure covers. "Rocket Cathedrals," anyone?

It looks like there will be quite a few covers on the upcoming album. Can't wait!

Trippin'-billy
Back to top Go down
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 1:40 pm

It is the same band.

From about the early 70's onwards, Quo gave up psychedelic music and decided they enjoyed heavy boogie music much more. In Europe they're most famous for their cover of CCR's 'Rockin' All Over The World' which is played at almost every major sporting event here!
Back to top Go down
Tele295

Tele295

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Dean Martin - Cool Christmas Blues

Django Reinhardt - Nuages

both with the BSO
Back to top Go down
http://www.JillMartiniSoiree.com
Tele295

Tele295

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Bill Haley's 13 Women (w/ 68CBS)
Back to top Go down
http://www.JillMartiniSoiree.com

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 6:44 pm

I would go for Bryan Adam's "Hey Elvis" with the BSO, as they did on VH1 Duets back in 1996. That was a killing version
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:25 am

I'm with you, Jon, great version!!! Do you have a link to that clip? I had it on my old 'putah but it's gone now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:30 pm

I have the full show at home, but I've never found it on Youtube, though I have the mp3 song for you if you want ;-)
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes, please!!! I Pm you my address.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post your Setzer covers wish list.   Post your Setzer covers wish list. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post your Setzer covers wish list.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2