Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Facebook Message from Brian

Go down 
+14
Davidmk
Bear85
tvthewiredturtle
Spanishdavid
sidelake bob
FranckVillano
Rickabilly
Brent
Brett
donpepe
enjay07
Andi
mark t
mjcodina
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mjcodina

mjcodina

Facebook Message from Brian Empty
PostSubject: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the great response to the Montreal show. I wish I had some kind of formula or routine I could follow so I could always pull off a show like that. A lot had to do with the Montreal audience I'm sure. I didn't see one person texting or not paying attention to the show....WOW!!! That Big Band is one of a kind. If you've never been to Montreal you should have a visit. The food, people, and culture are fantastic. I'm going back for long weekend.

Thanks again,
Brian

P.S. I'm in the studio cutting a new Instrumental album (Guitars only)!

now this is me... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
mark t

mark t

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Glad to hear that he had a good time as well, I thought that it showed!

(And I for one, left my phone back in the hotel room. When I saw Setzer in Ottawa last year, i was texting and calling everyone. Smile
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Le Setz wrote:
P.S. I'm in the studio cutting a new Instrumental album (Guitars only)!

WHAAAAAAAAA!?!?!??!!?!?

sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I know!!! isn't it amazing??????
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
queen queen queen
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 pm

rockabilly, swing, jazz, surf????? Everything!!!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 12:21 am

Gene & Eddie without vocals in 8 new versions (Jazz, Swing, Country-shuffle, Ska-Soul-jaja-wir-machen-Rockabilly-Mix...)

Cool Message and i`m looking forward for the new album which i will buy for sure... Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Brent

Brent

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 7:19 am

Gene & Eddie without vocals in 8 new versions (Jazz, Swing, Country-shuffle, Ska-Soul-jaja-wir-machen-Rockabilly-Mix...)

LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
mark t

mark t

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 7:47 am

Haha....Gene and Eddie. If we keep talking about it, i'm going to start liking it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 am

A Gene-n-Eddie tribute album couldn't be completely instrumental. You'd have to start every track by yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeelll..." geek

So much for a vacation. This is going to be fantastic! Those of you who would question this choice for the next studio album, don't worry. It seems you'll only have about a year before he'll come back with something completely different. Riot - Dig That Crazy Christmas - 13 - Wolfgang - Lonely Avenue - An instrumental album. I couldn't begin to predict what the next 5 studio albums will be.

I wonder if this desire to do a "guitars only" album has anything to do with the recent acquisition of a certain device that invited hours of playing in his home at lower volumes without sacrificing tone or lugging the space echo around...

As the World Nocturnes-a-billy
Back to top Go down
mark t

mark t

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 am

Rickabilly wrote:
A Gene-n-Eddie tribute album couldn't be completely instrumental. You'd have to start every track by yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeelll..." geek

No way, man, he could just come out and hit that note on the 6120... (Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddd) See, now i like it. Razz
Back to top Go down
FranckVillano

FranckVillano

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Great. hope it will be so brilliant as this last Montreal show!
Back to top Go down
http://maxximo.com
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:52 am

Fantastic!! Surfdog, Dont forget the vinyl junkies. cheers
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 6:09 am

mjcodina wrote:
"I didn't see one person texting or not paying attention to the show....WOW!!! "

who goes to a show to be stuck with their cell phones? can people be really THAT stupid? "I´m at the BSO show. It´s gr8. Have dinner ready at 10pm. Think Bri is playing 3 extra songs. C.U." No
Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 7:02 pm

He needs to do a chester and lester type album with someone... wait a minute... he IS Chester and Lester wrapped up into on being!
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 1:53 am

he told us in 2004 on stage he wanted to do an instrumental spy album..
maybe this is it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:40 am

I've been thinking for awhile that an instro album from BS would be the bee's knees - can't wait! I'm sure it'll be all originals, but sometimes I kind of wish artists these days would put more covers on their albums. Back in the 60s, artists would load up albums with other people's hits. It made for some pretty cool pairings - one of my faves is Nancy Sinatra's version of Day Tripper!

But back to The Brian. I'm thinking along the lines of his take on a Chet Atkins-type theme album - a spy album would be perfect! Along with whatever originals he comes up with, he could do instrumental versions of:

Help!
Live and Let Die
The Spy Who Loved Me (gotta change up the tempo a bit)
Secret Agent Man
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:20 am

Although when you think about instro albums... nobody wants to buy another
"muzak" album of tunes done to death. We sure dont need one more surf band
album either..

Brian wants to have fun and be creative but I would gather 'bout now, the whole group
would like to see a grammy. Especially after he lost to Jeff Beck doing a ridiculous beatles cover..zzzzzz

I think about Wes Montomery being totally criticized by his peers for doing an instro
of pops hits of his time. Said he needed to feed his family and thus gave the finger to
his jazz die hards.

Brad Pasley just did an instrumental called Play and it was genius how he laid it
all out w/ his signature humor and string wrangling fretboard prowess and even put in a few vocals.

I'm voting on Brian taking his wolgang arranging talent, his penchant for twang n hillbilly gritch and tearing it up with a modern soundtrack including strings,etc with
an Esquivel space age bachelor pad-international man of mystery mojo!

I look forward to Grammy winning tracks Brian!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Davidmk

Davidmk

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:52 am

A guitar album will be amazing!!
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:19 am

tv wrote:
"Especially after he lost to Jeff Beck doing a ridiculous beatles cover..zzzzzz"

That, sir, is sacrilege!!! Seriously though, while I enjoy Setzer as a musician, and entertainer, Jeff Beck is in a class all by himself, and I think even Brian would agree that if you end up losing, at least you lost to one of the absolute best. They recently shared the stage together at the Iridium tribute to Les Paul, along with Imelda May. I didn't detect any hard feelings there, so what's your excuse? I guess it all comes down to opinions; I really was not too impressed by "Lonely Avenue", although I admire his willingness to try new things. Beck deserved that Grammy hands down; Setzer didn't. Just my opinion, of course. . . . Cool
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 am

I have to say, I wasn't that impressed with any of the nominees in the Best Rock Instrumental category this past year. Of all the entries in the category, I might have voted for Brad Paisley's "Playing With Fire."

Jeff Beck is a fantastic talent, and has shown great versatility throughout his career. But I don't know if a live recording of a Beatles cover he had released previously is even the most interesting thing on that album/DVD. When you get away from the main categories, I don't think the voters spend a lot of time with the music in the "less popular" areas. Choosing a Beatles cover to submit for consideration was a safe, crowd-pleasing choice to be sure. Brian's even been the beneficiary of such considerations before, winning for Sleepwalk and Caravan, (amazing recordings to be sure) and getting a nomination for My Favorite Things. Brian's surf-shredding etude, Mr. Surfer Goes Jazzin', was original, but not nearly as interesting as some of the things he's been up for in the past, in my opinion. When The Nutcracker Suite lost to George Harrison's Marwa Blues in 2004, I wasn't surprised, but I still thought Brian was more deserving. It's tough to beat the Beatles in a popularity contest. Also, "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" is a new category for Brian, as he's usually in the "Pop Instrumental" category. Jeff Beck, on the other hand, has won the Grammy for "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" 5 times. As much as I want Brian to win a Grammy every time he has the chance, I think the nomination is still an honor worth celebrating. There's no shame in losing out to a legend and talent like Jeff Beck.

I would have liked to have seen "Mr. Jazzer Goes Surfin'" get a nomination. But I can't wait to see what an album made up entirely of instrumentals by Brian Setzer sounds like. And I wonder how they will decide which track or tracks deserves Grammy recognition. When Brian has an album with one instrumental, that track has been a Grammy magnet. What will they do with an album full of instrumentals?

Strung Out-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Dumb question, but was anything from Wolfgang nominated?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Nothing specific from Wolfgang got nominated, but the entire album was nominated in the "Best Classical Crossover Album" category.

Personally, I would like to see "Bad, Bad, Girl In a Bad, Bad World" released as an instrumental. If I tune out the vocals, I love all the different stuff that's going on in that tune. (Think about it, Brian - maybe as a bonus track for Japan!) It sounds like Duane Eddy vs. Godzilla! Shoot, get Duane on the album!

Twang-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:27 pm

To my mind, the song Lonely Avenue was far more deserving of Grammy love than anything else on the last record, unless it was a nomination for the *entire* record.

It never occurred to me that perhaps an album of instrumentals would be in response to the penchant for nominating his instrumentals... though I doubt there is such a connection (and I hope there isn't!) In any case I'll be interested to see how the instrumental record pans out, it's an interesting decision. Based on the results of our own informal poll (https://hoodoovoodoolounge.darkbb.com/all-things-setzer-f1/favorite-song-from-lonely-avenue-t1447.htm) Jazzer and Surfer were pretty good fan faves from Lonely Ave - but Elena not so much. (the full, final vote breakdown reposted below for reference). Will we get originals? Covers? Unusual interpretations? I can't wait, but... boy, am I gonna miss that rasp!!! Twisted Evil

11 votes for Trouble Train
16 votes for Dead Man Incorporated
17 votes for Kiss Me Deadly
9 votes for Gimme Some Rhythm Daddy
9 votes for Lonely Avenue
9 votes for King of the Whole Damn World
9 votes for Mr Jazzer Goes Surfin'
9 votes for Mr Surfer Goes Jazzin'
2 votes for My Baby Don't Love Me Blues
5 votes for Love Partners in Crime
2 votes for Passion of the Night
10 votes for Dimes in the Jar
2 votes for Elena
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 pm

I absolutely agree Lonely Avenue would have been THE track for a Grammy nomination last year. That track is a song that, had it been recorded 50 years ago, would be considered a standard today. On my previous post, I was thinking about which instrumental I preferred between Mr. Surfer and Mr. Jazzer, since it's been more than a decade since a track featuring Brian's vocals has been nominated. I hadn't considered that they'd open their ears and get Brian out of the guitar case for a non-instrumental nomination.

The Grammys are nice, but I can't believe they had anything to do with Brian's decision for an all-instrumental album. I think Wolfgang and the 3 instrumentals on Lonely Avenue have shown that he has an increasing interest in works which showcase his guitar playing and arranging skills.

Two things I noticed on the Montreal webcast: 1) Brian's voice continues to mature, dropping into a lower register. We are all humbled by Father Time at some point, but he proved he could hit most of the higher (formerly mid-range notes). Where he used to hit the higher notes and sing through them, he's now reaching them and backing away almost immediately. It's actually a very smart choice. When you've got the Big Band behind you, there's really no need to overpower them vocally. 2) His guitar playing is as good as it's ever been. From the opening guitar solo on This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof to Sleepwalk to Rock This Town, Brian's at the top of his game on the guitar.

As much as I'll miss the way he used his vocals on the Lonely Avenue album, I can't wait to see what comes flying from those fingers!

Virtuoso-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Note to self: WATCH MONTREAL TONIGHT!!!!

Bad fan, BAD FAN!!

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Facebook Message from Brian   Facebook Message from Brian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Facebook Message from Brian
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next