Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?

Go down 
+16
johnnykool327
Tele295
sidelake bob
ruger9
donpepe
Rockabilly Ross
RadiationSteve
Setzerado
peeteycat
mjcodina
tvthewiredturtle
Brett
Twenty Flight Rick
Rickabilly
laurent327
scatcatcnut
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 7:36 am

It all sounds so tame and polite! One tip to improve it - knock out the channel with the rhythm guitar on it! It sounds like Chet Atkins or something with that rhythm guitar in there -plus the drums sound almost like a drum machine. Couple of good tracks but overall was a snooze-fest for me.
Back to top Go down
laurent327

laurent327

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 am

i have received my cd from japan yesteday.

1. Blue Moon Of Kentucky : 7/10
2. Cherokee : 9/10
3. Be-Bop-A-Lula : 7/10
4. Earl's Breakdown : 8/10
5. Far Noir East : 6/10
6. Intermission : 9/10
7. Go-Go Godzilla : 10/10
8. Lonesome Road : 9/10
9. Hillbilly Jazz Meltdown : 2/10
10. Hot Love : 9/10
11. Pickpocket : 1/10

note album : 7/10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 am

Hmmm, nice question!
I am a bit disappointed, to be honest. There are 2-3 songs that I really like, but I was expecting something different... what annoys me a lot is the re-recorded version of Be Bop A Lula, when it was already done with the Cats, and also that some of the songs seem to me more like a collection of guitar riffs/licks and put together for an album. Same as Mr Jazzer and Mr Surfer... I would give 6/10 to this album, but highlighting Godzilla, whichs is really good and Hot Love too. As for the rest... nothing to comment on. Fingers crossed for BS not to play many of these new songs live...
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:30 am

Since the album's not out in the US for another 10 days, there's probably not a lot of feedback for this yet.

It's such a different type of release, I don't know how to compare it with the other 30 or so official albums from Brian's career. I think it's always difficult to meet the expectations of fans who like you for a certain style or era of albums. The fans' tastes may change, but their expectations from each artist they like tend to remain the same. People who want Stray 1 or Ignition again will probably never see another album like that from Brian. His playing preferences have changed, while we listen to our favorite albums over and over again, unrealistically comparing each new release to our "gold standards."

I'm guessing Brian and fans of Chet Atkins would take the "sounds like Chet Atkins" comment as a huge compliment.

With all the overdubbing, I can't see too many of these performed live, which is kind of a shame. Maybe if one of the extra moving parts in the Riot band could competently pick up a rhythm guitar, it could happen. I know Robbie Chevrier did that on some Nashvillains shows - did Kevin McKendree also do that on the Riot Euro tour?

What would be cool is to have Brian make a cheesy green-screen video with Brian accompanying himself - not just the "Big Band in a Box" karaoke thing he did on radio to promote the BSO - but a visual document of his extraordinary talent. I'm not suggesting he do that in concert - the acoustical logistics would be a nightmare. Just a well-produced video on one or two tracks to promote the album.

I know plenty of people who aren't big instrumental fans. They skip over the 2-3 instrumentals on Brian's albums. So an entire album of instrumentals is likely to be disappointing for them before they've even heard a note.

I think guitarists (and non-guitarists) who are fans of surf music and good 'ol vintage country jazz pickin' (Chet Atkins, Jimmy Bryant, etc.) will really like this album. Even the banjo-laden "Earl's Breakdown" is more rooted in jazz than bluegrass. But that demographic is probably less than half of his fan base.

I agree that "Mr. Surfer" and "Mr. Jazzer" sound like guitar etudes. But I think most of the tracks on the new album are more fully-formed than that.

Speaking of fully-formed, I look forward to a few more listens so I can write a more fully-formed opinion of the album.

Instru-Mentalist-billy
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:51 am

I wasn't blown away when I heard the tunes via that preview link. I'll hold judgement though until I get the cd.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 11:04 am

Rickabilly wrote:
People who want Stray 1 or Ignition again will probably never see another album like that from Brian. His playing preferences have changed, while we listen to our favorite albums over and over again, unrealistically comparing each new release to our "gold standards."

That´s it. I never was able to make this point clear in english.
And my judgement will also be done after listening to the CD.
But until now i like all BS instrumental songs. All of them!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Rickabilly,
aye, Kevin McKendree did also played the acoustic guitar live.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 pm

This Album is TOTALLY a chet atkins knod so I think Brian would be thrilled to get that sort of association from this
release. I grew up in a home with my dad always spinning Chet atkins or working out some kind of Chet on his guitar,
so I have the ear for the style and recording style of Chet Atkins..

Its meant for fans of the gretsch guitar and Chet atkins.. if youre in neither camp you cant put it up against his
other stuff... its not meant to compared.

Also it needs to be listened to through a nice warm set of speakers and a focus on his finger tone and chordal inflections, as the guitar rig is not intentionally highlighted in my opinion. I think I missed all of this when I first heard it.
Like some others have said, its a different season in the artist life and I think he's playing whats moving him
right now. Plus I'm sure this new tour is going to yield a very live and raucous recording to suit the stray cat
fans... totally can count on that
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Rick youre right on in so many ways! This is an amazing album IMO. Calling it Chet-like would be a huge compliment i think. But i can see how this wouldnt appeal to some Setzer fans.

Ive always said that the Instrumentals are my favorite recordings from Setzer. And I think, like Tavo, I too lust for that tone hes got and technique and thats exactly what we get from the instrumentals and specifically this album. Thats probably why I like it so much. Just listening to the tiny nuances that come from his fingers in this record is amazing! Its really like youre just sitting in a room listening to him. Ive been listening to Chet since I began playing pretty much. Some people have heard that stuff, his early stuff, and wondered what the hell I was thinking. Its great music plus its also guitar player music. It appeals to guitar players.

I was super glad when I heard that he played blue moon of Kentuck during this past weekends show. Wasnt there but just from the video you could see the huge kick he gets out of it! When the album was posted online for that one day I spent that time memorizing every single lick from that song and have been playing it in our shows ever since. People go nutz over it! its unbelievable! I play it probly every day too haha. funnest thing.

Also, I woke up this morning about 12, and have been sitting in my bed every since, playing my guitar. Thats 5 hours hahaha. I should probably get up now.

Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
peeteycat

peeteycat

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Would it be fair to add Mr. Surfer and Mr. Jazzer to this collection? Since the album only has 11 tracks, why not expand it?
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 pm

I am not disappointed by this new record, not at all.
It's a really good one (to early to say one more time "it's my fav'", I am a big girl now).
I would say it"s a kind of summary of all musical roots Brian has explored this last 30 years. A summary without any comment and that's the way I like in the album (it's a possible indication to understand well the title "Instru-Mental"...)
All the 11 tracks are over 7/10 for me.
Thank you Brian and happy birthday !!
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:53 am

Just as i think Brian's getting back to top form (the very brilliant new dvd It's Gonna Rock 'cause That's what I do ) .....We get this rather....i don't know....uninteresting collection of instrumentals. I didn't want to buy Wolfgang (but i did, and it's gathering dust), i didn't like Songs from Lonley Avenue, apart from the title song, so i didn't buy it. And i won't be buying Instrumental. And before anybody says you have to listen and it grows on you.....i know what Setzer stuff i like and those last three albums aren't on my future play list. So in answer to the original question....Yes i'm disappointed with a whole album of non Setzer vocals....and the fact that he doesn't go 'mental' on the songs! Where's that Punk-polka when you need it. But to even up a rather negative review....i am in total awe of Mr Setzer's new dvd.....how can a 50 year old rock so good! Ignition and Vavoom may be Setzer's last great albums but the king of jump and jive still has a lot to offer LIVE on stage......and long may it continue....
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 6:18 am

On further listening Go Go Godzilla is probably best track for me -also a lot sounds a bit like Les Paul - which is either a plus or minus depending on your take on Les Paul (that'll be a minus again for me!). But I came to Brian via Stray Cats in England before they even had a deal so I'm probably not the target audience really -seems more for the following coming via BSO to me. I only played Wolfgang twice and never even bought Lonely Street - much like a previous poster on here - I like a bit of singing in there - unless its Link or Duane (Eddy).
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 am

This sounds like the same reaction non musician people had when Brad Paisley made Play... but he made the album for guitarists. This album of setzer's IS for guitarists and it makes me like him more for just doing what he wants to
do. It tells me he wants to keep the connection with his musician based audience and that this is what stirs him up best.
Back to top Go down
Rockabilly Ross

Rockabilly Ross

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 am

Well said Tavo. Rather than pick apart a cd for what you alone like, enjoy it for what it actually is.

Even though I have not heard it yet, other than Blue Moon of Kentucky which was GREAT, live at the Belly Up on 4/3, I would like to THANK Brian to continue to produce great CD's year in and year out.

Rather than criticize, just be thankful for all of the new music from Brian.

Respectfully.

Ross
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:15 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
This sounds like the same reaction non musician people had when Brad Paisley made Play... but he made the album for guitarists. This album of setzer's IS for guitarists and it makes me like him more for just doing what he wants to
do. It tells me he wants to keep the connection with his musician based audience and that this is what stirs him up best.

Been playing guitar since 1973 so I think I qualify as a musician - own Gretsch White Falcon and Projet so guess I qualify as a Gretsch fan - own everything Setzer has ever released officially except Lonely and last Xmas album plus approx 80 bootlegs so guess I count as a Setzer fan - just not really grooving to the mellow side of life - and as I am same age as Setzer and still like the rocking side of things I don't think its his -or my- age!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:37 am

Rockabilly Ross wrote:
Well said Tavo. Rather than pick apart a cd for what you alone like, enjoy it for what it actually is.

Even though I have not heard it yet, other than Blue Moon of Kentucky which was GREAT, live at the Belly Up on 4/3, I would like to THANK Brian to continue to produce great CD's year in and year out.

Rather than criticize, just be thankful for all of the new music from Brian.

Respectfully.

Ross
why dont you give us a review of that show.. I wanted to go but could barely afford the saturday night gig.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am

I hate to bump a thread with such a negative title on a Setzer Fan Forum, but seeing as how it's at the top of the heap right now...

Having known many Setzer fans who aren't instrumental fans, I understand their point of view and don't expect anything on the new album to change their minds. I find it interesting that scatcatcnut dislikes the album for the Chet Atkins rhythm guitar, which I thought was an astute observation, even if I didn't agree with it. But if "Go Go Godzilla" reminds him of Les Paul, then I want to find that particular Les Paul album! There are Les Paul influences all over this album, I just don't hear it on this particular track.

On the other hand, when you consider that the album is all about the guitar (and banjo), and Les Paul was an early innovator/inventor of the electric guitar, then I guess "Go Go Godzilla" owes a debt to Les Paul and perhaps Thomas Edison for the innovations with electricity.

What I do hear a bit in the "Go Go Godzilla" track is that it sounds like you could add horns to it, drop the silly vocal, and turn it into a sequel to Hotei's "Battle Without Honor or Humanity," immortalized in the first "Kill Bill" film. That would make a killer opening to the next BSO tour. Without all that, I still love the Sandy Nelson-esque surf tom and also that Brian takes his time with the guitar lines. I wasn't a fan of the frenzied surf section of "Mr. Jazzer" or the wank-fest of "Mr. Surfer." With "Godzilla," (which he said he wrote initially for The Living End's Chris Cheney) Brian gives the tune time to develop and set a mood. I could still do without the vocals. It's an unnecessary embellishment, much like in "Honey Man."

Honey Don't-a-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 am

like I said this is for guitar players that get Setzer... this time not by me but by shorefire.com

"Setzer Goes Instru-MENTAL! is another elegant affirmation of Setzer’s legacy and a beautiful betrayal of what we tend to expect from guitar records. Betrayal? Ok, look let’s admit something. Even people who buy guitar records made by guys who make guitar records for people who buy guitar records know that guitar records are often not all that much fun when you boil them down. Usually there’s a certain quota of “see, I can do this” fretboard pyrotechnics, a few “exercise in getting a certain guitar tone” kinds of exotic moves and then the inevitably boring retread of some song snatched from a different genre. As a guitarist, Setzer has basically nothing whatsoever to prove, so Instru-MENTAL! skips all of those games. Instead, it’s a richly lyrical spin through songs where Setzer (as usual) makes complex guitar figures sound organic with a delivery that’s alarmingly effortless. If anything, its instrumental-ness was something that revealed itself along the way. “I didn’t start writing an instrumental record per se,” Setzer says. “As a matter of fact I wrote 7 songs with lyrics and then all of a sudden I just took a turn and started fooling around with ‘Blue Moon of Kentucky,’ except without any vocals. I just started playing melody chords and thought, ‘wow, this is pretty cool! So the direction turned about halfway through my writing. I had never done an instrumental record, but I thought, well, now’s the time!”

The result is a record that feels like a Sunday afternoon with one of the world’s best players of any given instrument fumbling around the living room, picking up a dazzling vintage ’63 D’Angelico acoustic guitar, a Scruggs banjo or a signature Gretsch and with a quick knot of knuckle-work chiming out one gorgeous piece after another. There are charming covers in “Blue Moon of Kentucky” and “Cherokee” alongside ripping originals like “Go-Go Godzilla.” As always, it’s the kind of stuff that he can hurtle outward as far as the room allows – music that’s equally at home in the low fog of a smoky jazz club, the chandelier pomp of a big city ball-room or the crisp zing of a festival night sky air. It’s music made with real love by a guy who just can’t help but grab a guitar. "
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 pm

A '63 D'Angelico? Isn't Brian's D'Angelico (he had 2, I believe he sold one) of a much older vintage?

Believe everything I read-a-billy

Edit: The latest issue of Premier Guitar Magazine confirms that it is a '63 D'Angelico:

Brian Setzer: The Thrill Is Anything But Gone

Brian previously owned D'Angelicos from 1938 and 1940, but I know he sold at least one of them on eBay several years ago.

Last edited by Rickabilly on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 4:10 am

I didn't mean Go Go sounded like Les Paul! Just some of the other tracks -sorry re the confusion!
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:19 am

Incidentally just got the new Jeff Beck r'n'r live thing -(a tribute to Les Paul ironically) it's pretty good on the whole - mainly r'n'r and rockabilly except for the les Paul tribute bit -but it really steps up a gear on the track that Brian plays on -that's what I want from Mr Setzer!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
like I said this is for guitar players that get Setzer... "

yep, it is.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/listen-brian-setzer-goes-bluegrass-on-earls-breakdown-20110310
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 am

Not disappointed, I think this is a pretty entertaining & relaxin' record. Superb musicianship all the way, definitely a guitar player fan disc, like
somebody already mentioned earlier. I did not listen the snippets in advance, so I did quite not know what to really expect, except lots
of guitar. The track list seemed a bit odd with Blue moon & Bebopalula but they are allrite to my taste. Suprisingly the more jazzy pieces with picking,
rock a bit more and the guitars sound damn great.

Buy this record.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:10 am

I haven't listened to it enough to really have a fully-formed opinion yet (and I've had it awhile... ahem... I "know people" Smile ) so that should say something right there. I've owned it for over a month and have probably listened to it, in full, 4 times?

I THINK I was hoping for something more jazzy... more "Caravan" perhaps? Not sure. Not saying I don't like it, I need to give it quite a few more INTENSE listens, as so far I have just put it on while remodeling my bathroom, so I wasn't listening intently. But I can say, for an initial reaction, I wasn't as blown away as I was hoping to be. I am a HUGE Brad Paisley fan, and wasn't a huge fan of PLAY either... I wanted to hear more of Brad's style going crazy, not Brad trying to sound like Eric Johnson, or Robben Ford, or Neil Schon or BB King.

Maybe that's it... I want Brian to sound more like Brian... not like Chet? "More like Brian" would be more gain, more rock, and more meshing of styles (jazz+'billy+chet+rock) instead of being more just "Brian's version of Chet". If I want to listen to Chet, I'll listen to Chet.

huh... for claiming to not have a "fully-formed" opinion yet, it sure seems pretty formed!!

I do like it, I will listen to it... it'll no doubt get more spin time than "Wolfgang" or "Lonely Avenue"... but my 2 favorite Setzer albums will always be "Dirty Boogie" and "Ignition". If I had to pick 2 for a desert island, it would be those.

Knowing Brian's GENIUS, I was expecting the "end-all/be-all" of guitar instrumental records (for me).... and this just ain't that. (for me.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next