Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?

Go down 
+16
johnnykool327
Tele295
sidelake bob
ruger9
donpepe
Rockabilly Ross
RadiationSteve
Setzerado
peeteycat
mjcodina
tvthewiredturtle
Brett
Twenty Flight Rick
Rickabilly
laurent327
scatcatcnut
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

ruger9 wrote:
I want Brian to sound more like Brian... not like Chet? "More like Brian" would be more gain, more rock, and more meshing of styles (jazz+'billy+chet+rock) instead of being more just "Brian's version of Chet". If I want to listen to Chet, I'll listen to Chet.

I do like it, I will listen to it... it'll no doubt get more spin time than "Wolfgang" or "Lonely Avenue"... but my 2 favorite Setzer albums will always be "Dirty Boogie" and "Ignition". If I had to pick 2 for a desert island, it would be those.

Knowing Brian's GENIUS, I was expecting the "end-all/be-all" of guitar instrumental records (for me).... and this just ain't that. (for me.)

I think this is the most fair, concise, dead-on review we're likely to see from those fans in the "disappointed" camp. Very well-put, ruger!

As ruger mentioned, an all-instrumental album from Brian Setzer brings high expectations. I think many of us wanted Brian to let it all out on this album, giving us something as poignant as "Sleepwalk," something as in-your-face as "Malagueña," and something that brought it all together, like "Caravan." "Caravan," for example, was the only instrumental on "Vavoom," and on this, Brian let it all hang out, using the orchestra brilliantly to put out possibly the finest instrumental of his career. It was definitely rooted in jazz, but when Brian went all Dick Dale on it, he infused some great rock playing into the tune, getting that Setzer rock-hybrid from Mr. Rock This Town. Maybe there's not enough rock on this album.

While I've never really written about the time I met Brian and Julie, I distinctly remember the ringtone on Brian (or Julie's) cell phone: Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock."

I Wanna Rock indeed.

That's not really what this album's about. It's as if Tavo handed Setzer 5 guitars and a banjo as said "play something." It has that kind of personal touch.

The result, is what Brian Setzer is feeling at the moment. If he's in a jazzier, more Chet-influenced place, so be it. I don't think he set out to do a tribute to Chet Atkins. It's just that Chet, Merle Travis, Jimmy Bryant, Les Paul, Duane Eddy, Cliff Gallup... they're all part of his guitar playing DNA. It just comes out.

Let's look at the last 5 non-Christmas studio albums: Rockabilly Riot, 13, Wolfgang, Lonely Avenue... and now Setzer Goes Instrumental. Can anyone honestly say what a Brian Setzer album is supposed to sound like? If you don't happen to like this latest release, I can just about guarantee the next album will be "And Now, For Something Completely Different."

Unpredictabilly
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am

"Used to be's dont count anymore, they just lay on the floor till we sweep them away" - N. Diamond
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm

I can't wait until the damn cd comes out!
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:19 pm

AN UPDATE:

My wife, who loves Setzer almost as much as I do, HATES the Instru-Mental album. Except for Blue Moon of Kentucky, she says it's annoying as hell. She's been to every Setzer show with me, thinks he's a genius, she's a real fan. (not a guitar player, tho.)
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 8:23 pm

ask her to listen to an old chet atkins instrumental...

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Page1&2_t

Heavens to mergatroid..if she hates that then sanctions must be enacted.. embargos even Smile

exit stage left!!!

Back to top Go down
mjcodina

mjcodina

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 am

Dude if your one who doesnt like this album... pshhhhhh Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/mjcodina/Codinaduty/Welcome.html
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Great album. Love that thing that you never know what Brian pot out next. See you in Amsterdam. Brian is a monster with that Gretsch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:19 pm

I am one of those not really keen on Instru-mental.... just Godzilla and Hot Love pass my test, to be honest... Of course, an over 30 year musician career, you cannot expect every single album to be as perfect or fresh as we would like. It's something different, and in my opinion, being Setzer, putting out an album it's just an excuse to say "I go on tour", play a couple of songs from the new album, and go back do what I know what people want to hear and what I do best... that's how I see it.

Very happy to see Setzer whatever he's playing!!

Amsterdam... the countdown has begun!!!! 3 months left....
Back to top Go down
Tele295

Tele295

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am

As a $3.99 download from Amazon, I can't go wrong. "Far Noir East" is a winner - it's like Harlem Nocturne meets Nuages. Listen to the tremolo on that '61 Twin!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JillMartiniSoiree.com
johnnykool327

johnnykool327

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:12 am

My only gripe is I wish the album were longer.

I am very happy with this album. I had no idea what to expect, but I very much am enjoying the new cd.

-BK
Back to top Go down
http://kingawayretrievers.com
MJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:24 am

I agree. I am really enjoying it and only wish there was MORE Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:28 am

MJ wrote:
I agree. I am really enjoying it and only wish there was MORE Very Happy

play it backwards. thats 7 new songs right there!
Back to top Go down
MJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Very cute Tavo!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:56 am

I found out more people at GDP board like the new album instead of the BS Fan Board. Shocked
I`ll get my copy today...

Last edited by Brett on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
richjohnson26

richjohnson26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 7:28 am

What is the GPD board?

I've a listen to the album on Spotify and liked it, I should get the cd next week and be able to give it a proper listen to Smile
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 7:31 am

richjohnson26 wrote:
What is the GPD board?

I've a listen to the album on Spotify and liked it, I should get the cd next week and be able to give it a proper listen to Smile

www.Gretschpages.com
The board for Gretsch maniacs

I wrote GPD first but i wanted to say GDP...[b]
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 10:47 am

this turtle has been wired to the GDP for ages! Smile
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

I know,
btw just listen to the new album. It´s amazing. What a sound....

Ssst...Tavo!
I bought a new Video recorder (Zoom Q3) incl download software for youtube.
There is a new Atomic Brain Video on the way.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Brett wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

Ssst...Tavo!
I bought a new Video recorder (Zoom Q3) incl download software for youtube.
There is a new Atomic Brain Video on the way.

I know,
btw just listen to the new album. It´s amazing. What a sound....

isnt it nice to get equipment that actually works well? Smile I got the kodak Zi8, so great!
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 1:30 pm

so, is the actual released album the same mix as the "whoops" version that was out on the internet for a day? There was some specualtion that those were rough mixes...
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 1:38 pm

ruger9 wrote:
so, is the actual released album the same mix as the "whoops" version that was out on the internet for a day? There was some specualtion that those were rough mixes...
I was informed by the label that they were
the same although they were mp3. Actuall wave files are near double at 320, so sound quality is different.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 2:04 am

I didn`t listen to the free files and was waiting until i got the CD in my hands.
I just listened to it in my garden with good headphones.
And it´s a amzaing album again.
How can anybody dispointed by this Album?
The sound and the guitar playing is fantastic as usual.
Great reverb sounds and i guess he played with all his favorite Gretsches.
I would be dispointed if he try to repeat Ignition all the time.
This Album is a must have for every Fan and especially for every Guitar Maniac.

Happy Eastern
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 11:37 pm

I can't say it better Brett, thank you !
After a few days of listening, I can confirm I like all the tracks. The sound is beautiful, really.
Far Noir East, Hot Love & Pickpocket are the ones I like the most.
Happy Eastern to you all.
Back to top Go down
rockabillylaker

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 11:43 am

I though the album was really good. I enjoyed Cherokee the most out of all tracks. Loved the tones and loved how Setzer still mixed in all of his influences. Jazz one second then the next, pure rock n roll. I think some are over analyzing a bit. Not his best obviously, but still very good!
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 11:58 pm

The new Drummer is cool...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?   Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone else disappointed by Instru-mental?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next