Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I Like Instru-MENTAL!

Go down 
+19
Sharky
kbilly
tvthewiredturtle
Jumpin' Fred
ruger9
JC
richjohnson26
MJ
enjay07
Scatman
Andi
Rickabilly
mjcodina
Madman
Aussie_Sam
donpepe
Brett
Setzerado
Twenty Flight Rick
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 2:53 pm

I think that when it comes to "Instru-mental", this might possibly be the album which we disagree the most among the fans... there are so many and varied critics and reviews... and the most curious thing, at least for me, and there is no middle point, you know like "yeah, I like it but not that much" or "It's nice but there's something missing" or "I like half of it"... it's just: We like or we don't like it. Quite interesting though!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
I think that when it comes to "Instru-mental", this might possibly be the album which we disagree the most among the fans... there are so many and varied critics and reviews... and the most curious thing, at least for me, and there is no middle point, you know like "yeah, I like it but not that much" or "It's nice but there's something missing" or "I like half of it"... it's just: We like or we don't like it. Quite interesting though!

you sure? Smile I feel alone in my love for Wolfangs Night out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Man I dig Wolfgang! That disc dominated my player for about 4 months after it's release.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I thought it was pretty much agreed upon that WBNO sucked. Laughing

WORST BS album of all time, imo. Some great playing on there of course, but where rockabilly and big band mix extremely well, rockabilly and classical... eh... not so much.

If I ever listen to Wolfgang again, I'll be surprised.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 6:34 pm

ruger9 wrote:
I thought it was pretty much agreed upon that WBNO sucked. Laughing

WORST BS album of all time, imo. Some great playing on there of course, but where rockabilly and big band mix extremely well, rockabilly and classical... eh... not so much.

If I ever listen to Wolfgang again, I'll be surprised.

maaaaan.... I think you need a yellow card! clown
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 7:08 pm

c'mon, Tavo!! Just because you met THE MAN don't turn into a "homer" on us!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 8:24 pm

ruger9 wrote:
c'mon, Tavo!! Just because you met THE MAN don't turn into a "homer" on us!! Laughing

I enjoyed wolfgang long before I was granted the visit mostly because of it getting my kids to pay attention to
the classics but I also dug the fact he jumped onto even his wah pedal on that album.
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 9:31 pm

WBNO is still one of my favorite BSO record.
Honey Man on the last Brian's DVD (Montreal 2010) is simply fantastic...
I have the japanese CD with the bonus track : Bach's Bounce.
Back to top Go down
Jumpin' Fred

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:27 am

Andi wrote:
Upon a couple initial listens, Be Bop A Lula is one of my faves.

Dan Picasso, Illustrator - a local Minneapolis artist with an obvious love of retro/vintage styling, who has done work for a list of impressive clients. In my estimation he's a real artist and a good choice for this project.

I took a look at his website. There's some great stuff. So why is the cover so lame ? And the design of the booklet with pics smaller than stamps?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:47 am

"Wolfgang's Big Night Out" is the purest example of the BSO as an actual "Big Band." Whereas the majority of "Setzer Goes Instru-Mental" is steeped in hillbilly jazz, most of "Wolfgang" is rooted in jazz. I mentioned that "Cherokee" contained some of Spazz's finest work. But I had forgotten how much Spazz really shines throughout WBNO. The rhythm section of Spazz, Bernie, and Brian's rhythm guitar keeps that album jumpin' and groovin' through even the cheesiest of Comstock licks.

I love the story behind "Wolfgang" almost more than the album. Brian has this concept after working out "Some River In Europe" around Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz" and decides that would be an interesting concept for an album. This wasn't completely uncharted territory. Brian had previously used the original charts for "The Nutcracker Suite," a jazz adaptation of the Tchaikovsky piece originally used by Les Brown, and it was very well-received.

Cut to Brian looking up the arranger for the 50-year-old Nutcracker charts, and finding out that not only was 84-year-old Frank Comstock still alive, he was open to the idea of working on an arrangement or two for Brian, despite not having written anything for decades. Frank cranks out the first chart, "Take the Fifth," in a matter of a couple of days! It would take Brian and Mark Jones weeks or even months to complete such a complex arrangement. And Frank's ready for more! This was potentially a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Brian, one too good to pass up. 7 arrangements later, (plus a couple of his own design) Brian has a large portion of an album written, in a style very different from the usual BSO fare. Compared with the last non-holiday BSO album, "Wolfgang" has a lot more in common with the Glenn Miller Orchestra than either of the souped-up Glenn Miller covers on "Vavoom!"

What I like the most about "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" is that it showcases the orchestra as much or more than its leader, Brian Setzer. Obviously, some tracks like "Honey Man" and "Sabre Dance" are a tour de force for the guitar. But the BSO has never functioned as one cohesive musical unit as well as it has on "Wolfgang." Unfortunately for this album, most Setzer fans are happiest when Brian and his guitars are out front and center rockin' this town.

One of the more bittersweet things about the Wolfie album is that it is Bernie Dresel's last with Brian Setzer. With his versatility and strength on Wolfgang, Bernie Dresel shows why, for many fans, history will show that Brian Setzer only actually worked with two drummers: 1) Bernie Dresel and 2) Not Bernie Dresel.

As well-written and well-executed as the big band charts are, many of the Frank Comstock arrangements occasionally stray into Broadway, Lawrence Welk, or late 60s variety show territory. (Take the 5th, One More Night With You, Yes We Can Can, and 1812 Overdrive are among the tunes that might be a little too cheesy for fans of edgier fare like "The Dirty Boogie.") Usually, Brian brings more of his rockabilly influences and gets the band rockin' to create something more unique than the average big band. Because this was the first non-holiday album from the BSO in more than 7 years, I think the album's lack of rock failed to grab the attention of fans who wanted "Dirty Boogie 2: Electric Boogaloo."

Still, I think there are several outstanding numbers that would make my "Bestah Setzah" list. Of course, the record company's "hits compilation" would include "One More Night With You," as it was the closest thing to a single off the album, or "Honey Man," as it has become a live favorite. Despite my aversion to the vocals on "Honey Man," Brian's guitar pyrotechnics make it a standout track. I also feel "For Lisa" might be my favorite Setzer instrumental ever. I think the individual track "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" or "Take the Fifth" might be the best representation of a typical Frank Comstock chart from the album. While "Take a Break Guys" ought to be on every Setzer compilaton just because of how different it is from anything Brian ever has (or ever will) record.

I may not listen to "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" as often as other Setzer offerings. I certainly gravitate towards more rockin' albums, like "Riot," "Igniton," "Rant-n-Rave," and "Red, Hot, and Live." But when I am in the mood to listen to Wolfie, I really do enjoy it. I imagine six months from now, I will feel similarly about "Setzer Goes Instru-Mental."

Lonely Wolf-a-billy
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:17 am

I agree... the WBNO story is better than the album is. Smile

I'm not really slagging guys, WBNO just is my least favorite. The playing is there, I just don't enjoy the music. And I do enjoy classical, and I'll bet my Gretsch I own & listen to more TRUE Big Band from the old days that everybody here combined. I'm only 41, but I was raised listening to Miller, Dorsey, Basie, Goodman, Duke, et al. That stuff was in my blood before I ever picked up a guitar.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:41 am

ruger9 wrote:
I'll bet my Gretsch I own & listen to more TRUE Big Band from the old days that everybody here combined.

Hmmm..... not so sure about that.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:51 am

Andi wrote:

It's ON!!!! Very Happy

Want to count albums? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 9:05 am

I'm not saying "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" should be compared with the classics of the Swing era. Personally, I loved the first album, where the big band arrangements have some jump blues alongside some late 50s - early 60s cocktail crooner charts that could have been written for Sinatra or Bobby Darin. (Bobby Darin actually recorded "Nightengale Sang in Berkeley Square" and "Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder.") I just meant that many of the "Wolfgang" charts utilize the orchestra more as an equal partner, and less as a back-up group. And I thought the many of the tunes resembled an actual big band more than some of the previous BSO albums. I think that's where the album misses for a lot of fans. Brian's voice and guitar and variety of material helped make the BSO a uniquely rockin' big band. Most of "Wolfgang" was a departure from this. And some of the arrangements have a couple of tongue in cheek moments, where the orchestra sounds like like it's punctuating a punchline on "Laugh-In" or even "The Muppet Show."

I used to be a working violinist / violist in a symphony orchestra and have played most of the original classics represented here. 20 years ago, I might have rolled my eyes at an album like this. But I appreciate most of the arrangements on "Wolfgang," and I like the range it shows from Brian. "13" was a pretty big surprise for fans, but to follow it up with an album like "WBNO" was unexpected, to say the least. I embraced the differences and marveled at the variety, but I think some fans viewed the stark contrast between albums as a kind of musical Russian Roulette.

On a personal note, there may be other reasons, in addition to my previous posts, why I go against the grain, and view "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" with such fondness.

Full disclosure: As a violinist who worked in more traditional orchestral and chamber music settings, I have serious jazz violinist envy, making "For Lisa" positively irresistible. I would love to see Brian work with Sid Page again someday.

And then there's this: I wrote about how music can take you back to a time and place where you heard a song or album for the first time. In my case, it was about 8 weeks before the album's release, after the 2007 Stray Cats show in Kansas City. I was fortunate enough to meet Brian after the show, and as we were talking about the upcoming album, Brian excused himself to the back of his tour bus and returned with an advance copy of "Wolfgang" for myself and a dear friend who was kind enough to share her moment with Brian and Julie with a blabbermouth like me. I remember the enthusiasm with which Brian described the album, and the stories he shared about the working with Frank Comstock. That moment, talking music and Minnesota over a couple of beers with Brian, Julie, and two of my favorite Setzer pals, seemed so comfortable and normal, it was almost surreal.

Driving home from KC that night, "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" was my traveling companion. As my first listens coincided with "Rickabilly's Big Night Out," it has, without a doubt, colored the way I will listen to that album forever.

TM and BA, you are missed.

Biased-billy
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:43 am

Rickabilly wrote:
And some of the arrangements have a couple of tongue in cheek moments, where the orchestra sounds like like it's punctuating a punchline on "Laugh-In" or even "The Muppet Show."

I know what you mean and i love those endings...

Rickabilly wrote:

And then there's this: I wrote about how music can take you back to a time and place where you heard a song or album for the first time. In my case, it was about 8 weeks before the album's release, after the 2007 Stray Cats show in Kansas City. I was fortunate enough to meet Brian after the show, and as we were talking about the upcoming album, Brian excused himself to the back of his tour bus and returned with an advance copy of "Wolfgang" for myself and a dear friend who was kind enough to share her moment with Brian and Julie with a blabbermouth like me. I remember the enthusiasm with which Brian described the album, and the stories he shared about the working with Frank Comstock. That moment, talking music and Minnesota over a couple of beers with Brian, Julie, and two of my favorite Setzer pals, seemed so comfortable and normal, it was almost surreal.

Driving home from KC that night, "Wolfgang's Big Night Out" was my traveling companion. As my first listens coincided with "Rickabilly's Big Night Out," it has, without a doubt, colored the way I will listen to that album forever.

TM and BA, you are missed.

Biased-billy
Wow, cool story. You never told us.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:10 am

Andi wrote:
ruger9 wrote:
I'll bet my Gretsch I own & listen to more TRUE Big Band from the old days that everybody here combined.

mheeeeh, I'm old than both of you and have been listening to big band since I was in cloth diapers (that was last night
nyuk nyuk) I even own big band on original 78's.
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:16 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Andi wrote:
ruger9 wrote:

mheeeeh, I'm old than both of you and have been listening to big band since I was in cloth diapers (that was last night

I've got some of those to, but nothing to play them on!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:21 am

ruger9 wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Andi wrote:
ruger9 wrote:

I've got some of those to, but nothing to play them on!

have you tried the microwave?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Rickabilly wrote:

Biased-billy
Wow, cool story. You never told us.[/quote]

I didn't share the story at the time as I felt it was one of those special private moments to be shared only with my closest friends. And I called up nearly every one of those friends at the time, so I never really took the time to write it all down. Plus, it's not entirely my story to tell.

On the fan forums, there's always someone looking for THE definitive way to get to meet Brian after a show. Unless you get a public invite from the man himself, the way Tavo did, spilling those sorts of details can invite hassles for Brian and his crew in the middle of a tour. And I didn't want to be a part of that.

But I thought since this thread detoured into a discussion about "Wolfgang," I thought I would share the part of that story pertaining to my memories of that album.

Nostalgia-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Rickabilly wrote:

Biased-billy
Wow, cool story. You never told us.

I didn't share the story at the time as I felt it was one of those special private moments to be shared only with my closest friends. And I called up nearly every one of those friends at the time, so I never really took the time to write it all down. Plus, it's not entirely my story to tell.

On the fan forums, there's always someone looking for THE definitive way to get to meet Brian after a show. Unless you get a public invite from the man himself, the way Tavo did, spilling those sorts of details can invite hassles for Brian and his crew in the middle of a tour. And I didn't want to be a part of that.

But I thought since this thread detoured into a discussion about "Wolfgang," I thought I would share the part of that story pertaining to my memories of that album.

Nostalgia-billy
[/quote]

you rascal.. holding out on us with two counts!!!! I knew you were a musician! dang you got to share a beer as well, we shared Fuji's Smile
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

That musician thing was in a former life. I'm a recovering violinist/violist, going to meetings and working the steps. drunken

No Strings Attached-a-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Sounds like it was definitely one of the most amazing nights of your life! Cool For sure, one of for the record books! Thanks for sharing with us!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 9:26 pm

In considering all things Setzer-related, I'd say it was the greatest Setzer-related night of my life. I mean, I got to see Stray Cats for the first time ever - in a full show, not one of those abbreviated Jackfest sets. I got to catch up a bit with Tommy Maguire and finally meet one of my dearest friends from the interwebs - Beth-Ann. And then I met and spent time with Mr. and Mrs. Setzer. As a Setzer fan, it honestly doesn't get much better than that!

But enough about me. What do you think of "Setzer Goes Instru-Mental?"

Back on track-a-billy

Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
In considering all things Setzer-related, I'd say it was the greatest Setzer-related night of my life. I mean, I got to see Stray Cats for the first time ever - in a full show, not one of those abbreviated Jackfest sets. I got to catch up a bit with Tommy Maguire and finally meet one of my dearest friends from the interwebs - Beth-Ann. And then I met and spent time with Mr. and Mrs. Setzer. As a Setzer fan, it honestly doesn't get much better than that!

But enough about me. What do you think of "Setzer Goes Instru-Mental?"

Back on track-a-billy

I miss Tommy but I bet he's having fun with his family and beeeUtiful wife!
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:17 am

Lonesome Road is now the track I find the most...
So much smoothness on the guitar and so many fluidity from Spazz & Noah !!!
This album is rich, full. I keep on going from discoveries to discoveries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Like Instru-MENTAL!   I Like Instru-MENTAL! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Like Instru-MENTAL!
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next