Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BSO Japan Tour 2014

Go down 
+3
gretschoholic
Twenty Flight Rick
tvthewiredturtle
7 posters
AuthorMessage

BSO Japan Tour 2014 Empty
PostSubject: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 2:44 pm

It looks like the BSO is going to tour Japan this May!

http://straycatscollectors.net84.net/BrianSetzerTour.html

-I took the information from a website called SuperGlued.com -
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:

I wish we could have some Japanese fans share more about this?? Where are the Japanese fans?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Is there a new project coming?
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 3:06 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
Slim Jon Phantom wrote:

I wish we could have some Japanese fans share more about this??   Where are the Japanese fans?

In Japan...?  Razz  (sorry, couldn't resist)

Since this forum has become a "ghost town" with - at best - a couple of handfuls of active posters, I doubt that the few Japanese members we've had (one or two...?) even remembers the 'Lounge.  silent
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 5:25 am

On the Stray Cats Collector's FB page, a guy said that he had seen more dates on a forum, but that those dates were later removed. He claims that it was not only Japan.

Also, a couple of friends quite involved in the music world in Spain have told me that they have heard some rumours about Brian playin in Europe.

My impression is this:
BrianSetzer.com posted like in August/September the recording of a new rockabilly album in Nashville. If this has happened, I bet the album will be released sometime between April-May (just a hypothesis) and followed up by a European Tour, where Brian is more likely to tour with a Trio/Quartet, rather than with the BSO.

If he's to tour Japan with the BSO, he'll include some of those new songs with the Trio section.

What do your reckon guys???
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 am

I think you're right SJP and I forgot about those sessions. That album may end up being released sooner than we think.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 am

I certainly hope it won't be too long before we see a new Setzer album. Judging from the youtube vids from the last Christmas tour, Brian's playing is better than in many, many years! And a summer tour of Europe definitely helps deciding where to go on vacation...  Laughing So I hope you're right, Jon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 12:15 am

I don't think there will be a tour in Japan soon and, if there will, it won't be with the Orchestra.

There is a video on youtube where Brian, talking to a fan in Paris after the gig with Johnny Hallyday in june 2013, said he will be back in France "next year"...
I think (and I hope) that the new album will be there soon (march ?  bounce ) so Brian could tour this summer in Europe in a lot of festivals.

Then, at the end of the year, a tour in Japan (Xmas ?) could be possible.

Just my opinion, of course...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 5:45 am

This is the website where I took the information from:
http://superglued.com/artist/index/7472-Brian_Setzer_Orchestra/concert-tickets-and-tour-dates

Of course, on my website I have listed 3 more shows (Sendai, Sapporo and Hiroshima) because I googled some cities just in case, and voila!! They came up in the Pollstar search engine!!

I guess that if they are listing them it's because they might happen. I don't think they will list them if this wasn't true.

Maybe there are still some negotiations about other cities, you never know.

Setzerado:
I remember seeing that interview after the Johnny Hallyday show, and maybe Brian said that he'd be in France next year for two reasons:
1 - it is true there are plans to tour Europe
or 2 - it is a polite answer like "yeah, we might hit France next year" and in the end it's 2-3 years later, hahaha.

I think that Brian's been touring Europe pretty much every 3 years since he did it with the 68 Comeback Special. Then Stray Cats 2004, Nashvillains 2005, Stray Cats 2008, Rockabilly Riot 2011... I think it is a nice time span to tour, every 3 years.

Let's wait and see. We are still starting this year!
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am

I love it when Brian tours in support of a new album. A lot of artists who have been out there as long as Brian don't even bother with a recording new material, preferring to tour off of past successes. I can't blame them, as I see people running off to the bar/bathroom/smoke break whenever new, unfamiliar material gets played in concert. Touring-wise, you have to give the masses what they want. Brian's not immune to it, either. Once he puts together a setlist of expected songs, there isn't a lot of room for new songs. And that setlist is squeezed even tighter on Christmas tours, with all the holiday fare. That's why a non-Christmas BSO tour in Japan would be so exciting and potentially recordable. No holiday filler, and more room for less-played songs and new material.

When Brian Setzer puts out an album, it's never the same thing twice. I'm sure that pisses people off who want "Son of Ignition," "Rockabilly Riot, Part 2," or "The Dirtier Boogie," but I love the variety. I don't expect an album every year, but I am grateful he hasn't retired from recording.

And while I wouldn't be able to catch a Japanese or European tour, the prospects for recordings from the tours, official and otherwise, are exciting to me. And there's always the possibility of a one-off or couple of shows in the US around these tours.

On the Road-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:42 am

...and within minutes of this posting, Setzer's official Facebook page announced a Japanese tour, May 12-24, 2014.

Back Streets of Tokyo-billy
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:02 am

gretschoholic wrote:
I certainly hope it won't be too long before we see a new Setzer album. Judging from the youtube vids from the last Christmas tour, Brian's playing is better than in many, many years! And a summer tour of Europe definitely helps deciding where to go on vacation...  Laughing So I hope you're right, Jon.

Vacation in Paris with a Setzer gig or two.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:39 am

Setzerado: I hate to tell you this but... I win this time, hahahah (I'm joking!)

Sidelake Bob: I guess you'll have some company in Paris, voila!

Rickabilly:
Up to some point I would agree with you, but to be honest, the kind of people who attend Brian Setzer gigs, it's pretty much the same for the past 15-20 years. I would like Setzer to NOT records a new album, just tour for the sake of it and give all the fans what we deserve, a fantastic show (as he always puts on) but in a different style. There were many of us who didn't have the chance to enjoy Live Nude Guitars, or the first years of the BSO. I think he would make a remarkable tour by playing some unusual songs. At the end of the day, he's a human and has to pay bills like everybody else, but that would be a nice treat for everybody else.

You mention that some people would make a break for a wee or for a smoke when new material shows up. I'd rather take it during Stray Cat Strut to be honest. OK, yeah, fantastic song but we need something else.
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
.  I'm sure that pisses people off who want "Son of Ignition," "Rockabilly Riot, Part 2," or "The Dirtier Boogie," ....

The dirtier Boogie!  Very Happy Very cool term and make it clear.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Jon,

I agree that older, more obscure material ought to be trotted out on tour from time to time. I loved it when Cry Baby surfaced on the last Stray Cats tour, for example. And I'm hoping with the BSO doing a non-holiday tour that there will be some lesser-played arrangements from some older tours. Perhaps some that never made it on CD, like "Beyond the Sea" or "Got to Get You Into My Life," could be included.

The next time he tour with a rockabilly/rock-n-roll quartet, I'd love to hear Rebelene.

Some artists, like John Fogerty, Styx, Rush, and many others, are now playing entire classic albums as a part of their tours. That's not exactly something Brian could pull off, considering the versatility of Live Nude Guitars (How exactly would one reproduce "Love Is Repaid By Love Alone?") or the soaring vocal range found in parts of "Knife Feels Like Justice?") But a few selections from the '80s post-Stray Cats period would be cool. Technically, we did get "Nervous Breakdown" on the last Christmas tour, but I think most would agree that's more of a nod to Eddie Cochran than Live Nude Guitars.

Maybe Brian could do an abbreviated tour in select cities (like when he did the unplugged shows in Japan in the early 90s) where it could be for die-hard fans. He has put together more intimate one-off shows in Minneapolis with the Stray Cats for Brian's 50th Birthday and the Nashvillains had the Lee's Liquor Lounge show in June 2006. The historic Surf Ballroom is just a few hours south of Minneapolis... maybe he could book a show there? I realize those shows were easier because they were with bands that had already toured recently with that material, and rehearsing a bunch of songs that haven't been performed in decades might not be that appealing for Brian. But if there are a couple of hours' worth of songs he's missed performing for awhile (either from the pre-BSO days, or covers he's dying to do, or stripped-down versions of BSO numbers that he thinks fans would enjoy, or possibly some Stray Cats songs he hasn't played since the 80s - Let's Go Faster LP anyone?) maybe that would have some appeal to him.

These are just the rambling daydreams of a Setzer fan riffing on the possibilities brought up by Jon and several other Setzer fans over the years. I certainly don't expect it to happen, except in my mind...

Looney-billy

Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Slim Jon Phantom wrote:
Setzerado: I hate to tell you this but... I win this time, hahahah (I'm joking!)

You always win, Jon !!  Suspect 
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

8 dates now !!
Between may 12th & may 24th.

It's curious a tour with the big band if a trio new record is about to come...  scratch 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 4:57 am

Remember when Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy came out??? It was the same. Trio album and then BSO Tour. Those songs from Nitro Burnin' were pretty much exclusively played on that tour. When The Bells Don't Chime saw a bit more of light during the Xmas Tour that year, but that was it.

I must say that in 2003, the BSO released "Luck Be A Lady EP" in Japan, but they didn't play any of the songs recorded. But again, it was sort of like the "tour" for Nitro Burnin'....
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 8:23 am

Interesting historical perspective SJP. I too thought it a bit weird when I saw the song titles posted on facebook yesterday. The songs are original Setzer compositions and he's recording with an outfit similar to the Nashvillans, ie bass, drums, piano. For the Japanese tour, what will he do, play these songs in the trio set? Will he do some with the orchestra?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 am

Let's wait and see!

BTW, there was a guy from Brazil who posted on Brian's Facebook site mentioning that he had heard rumours about Brian going to Brazil in August.... hmmmm.... interesting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BSO Japan Tour 2014   BSO Japan Tour 2014 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BSO Japan Tour 2014
Page 1 of 1