Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

i wont stand in your way (live)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

i wont stand in your way (live) Empty
PostSubject: i wont stand in your way (live)   i wont stand in your way (live) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 1:10 am

I love this version of the song and was wondering if anyone has tabbed it?
I would also like to say hi to everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lonesomecat

lonesomecat

PostSubject: Re: i wont stand in your way (live)   i wont stand in your way (live) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 11:23 am

that one is absolutely great. i´m getting goose pimples of it .
it´s that song , that helped me to get over a bad time , i had with my wife some years ago.

that song is the reason why everything became better.
and now ....all at it´s best.
everytime i hear that song , i remember a bad time . but i also remember , how all things
were getting better and better . it´s that song , that helped to make everything allright !

this version is new to me . and what shall i say ? it is one , or perhaps it is the best one , i ever heard.

thank´s so much for sharing it .
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lonesomecatz
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: i wont stand in your way (live)   i wont stand in your way (live) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 5:48 am

For ever fan-tast-tic !!!
It was one of the first time since a long time he played it again. Really moving.
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: i wont stand in your way (live)   i wont stand in your way (live) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 12:54 pm

I agree that be a good version as well, however, my favorite is still the original Stray Cats version off of Rant & Rave. For anyone that doesn't know, this clip is from the BSO Live in Japan DVD.

In terms of the guitar part, one thing that will trip you up is that he plays this song and Mystery Train from the same concert on a special baritone guitar tuned two whole steps down (four semitones) (C F Bb Eb G C) below standard (E A D G B E) tuning. The reason for this is probably because it lowers the vocal range as well, since the original song is in the key of Eb. Alot easier on the pipes if done in C. So in other words, to arrange this for regular guitar, you'll probably need to change voicings, because it will be hard to stay in tune if you're detuned down to C, although you could play the song that way as well. I usually play the original version either tuned half-step down to Eb, with a capo at the first fret, or with barre chords. I'm not sure how Brian originally played it (tuning, capo, etc.) on Rant & Rave, but any of those approaches work for me, although I generally favor the capo b/c of not having to retune.

In terms of the chord progression (key of C {actual sounding chords}):

G7alt. chords to

Verse 1

C-Cmaj7-C7-F-Fm-Fm6(or Bb9)-C-Cmaj7-Am-Am7-F-Dm7-Ab9-G9

Verse 2

C-Cmaj7-C7-F-Fm-Fm6(or Bb9)-C-Cmaj7-Am-Am7-F-G-C-C7

Bridge

F-Fm-C-F-Em7-Dm7-C-D-Dm7-G7

Verse 3

C-Cmaj7-C7-F-Fm-Fm6(or Bb9)-C-Cmaj7-Am-Am7-F-G-C

Then repeat the form (solo and 2nd Bridge and 4th Verse) but end the 4th Verse (after Am7) with

F-Fm-Dm7-G7-C-Fm-C

I've simplified the chord forms here (Cathy&Nick had written this one out completely when it was still up), but that's the basic form to play the song. Again search around for particular voicings depending on which tuning you're using, and remember that the solo follows the vocal melody in harmonized 6ths with interspersed chord partials.

Hope that be of some assistance to ye.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: i wont stand in your way (live)   i wont stand in your way (live) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Oh my god Davey I wish you could be my teacher. Apart from the chords most of what you said i dont understand ( Im a novice, learning on my own at home) the chords are a great help and im going to start practicing straight away.
Thanks alot Davey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i wont stand in your way (live)   i wont stand in your way (live) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

i wont stand in your way (live)
Page 1 of 1