Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

25 Years of Love

Go down 
+8
pony65k
Brent
jonhope
Kelley
gretschoholic
Rocky Mountain Cat
sidelake bob
Andi
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 2:32 pm

I originally posted this story to the official Setzer forums back in May 2008. I hope you enjoy it and it reminds you of the excitement and joy Brian Setzer and Stray Cats have given all of us over the years.

Introduction

I sat in the theatre last week, thoroughly enjoying the swing band that was performing. Jimmy Barnes' son David Campbell is very talented and entertaining, and it felt so good to hear live swing again after so long - though it would've been even nicer to have been able to dance, instead of just sitting in the plush velvet seat. When the band played "This Ole House" and threw in a guitar solo - played on a Gretsch, no less - I thought I was gonna cry. I had no idea I missed Brian Setzer so much until that moment. It got me to thinking about the old days, and I realized it's a story I really want to write. So here it is.

The Beginning

25 Years of Love Catshirt

I have owned a particular t-shirt for 25 years. The shoulder seams have unraveled and the material is so thin and fragile it feels like the entire shirt could disintegrate at any moment. I've had it since I was nine years old, when it was so big on me that it went down past my butt and for some reason I wore it with jeans, untucked, with a white belt over it. For years I had a photo of myself dressed just like that, but somewhere along the way my ego would not let me keep that picture and be constantly reminded of my total lack of fashion sense. Anyway, the t-shirt has come with me everywhere I've lived, from San Diego, to Atlanta, to Harlingen, to San Diego again, to Brisbane, Dallarnil, and now Bundaberg (those last three are in Queensland, Australia, where I've lived for the past 2 and a half years.) And while I haven't worn it since I was nine (it quickly got way too small), there's no way in hell I'll ever get rid of it. It's my Stray Cats t-shirt. But the shirt isn't the subject of my 25 years of love.

That would be Brian Setzer.

I didn't know it at the time, but 1983 set the course for the rest of my life. Whenever I saw Stray Cat Strut on MTV, I was entranced. I begged my family to buy me my first ever records, Built for Speed and Rant & Rave (the Bennie and the Jets single I had didn't count). Actually, I ended up with two copies of Built For Speed- I accidentally and quite fatally scratched the first one, but couldn't bring myself to throw it away. I had no idea this music was called rockabilly, or that it had any kind of a history prior to 1983 - all I knew was that it didn't sound like anything else I heard on the radio, that it was exciting and dangerous. It had curse words! For some reason neither of my parents seemed to notice it. (I wasn't allowed to listen to Prince's "1999" album though. That seemed weird.) Unfortunately at that age I was a complete idiot and thought nothing of writing on the album covers in ink (circling some words, crossing out others) and cutting out bits and pieces of the liner notes to make collages. Argh. What was I thinking?!

With the video for Stray Cat Strut I also developed my very first crush - on Brian Setzer. I stared for hours at the photos on the album covers and liner notes, and at the "Struttin' Across America" poster above my bed, memorizing every detail of his hair, his face, his clothes - at that age I had no idea how to articulate it other than "he's SO cute!!" And again with the exciting and dangerous - that year I also was crazy about Michael Jackson (who wasn't?), but he just didn't have that same bad boy thing that Brian Setzer had.

For a few weeks around this time my mother dated a fella - I don't remember anything about him except that occasionally we'd go over to his apartment. One time I got bored while there and started digging through his record collection, only to find two Stray Cats albums I'd never seen before, Stray Cats and Gonna Ball. I was dismayed - how come I'd never seen these before? He told me they were imports. How would I ever get these records? I listened to them and stared at the pictures every time we went over to his house, and was quite sad when my mother stopped seeing him.

Of course as time went on the Cats poster came down, the t-shirt went into a drawer, and many other posters graced my bedroom walls through my teen years - INXS, the Police, Johnny Depp... and while I never stopped liking the Stray Cats, I kind of forgot about them. I'd hear Strut or Rock This Town or Sexy + 17 on the radio occasionally and would sing along, but didn't give it a second thought. Until 1994.

The Rediscovery

In 1992 at the age of 18 I started my career in radio - I operated the console for an adult nostalgia station in San Diego called KPOP. Most of the music was pretty boring but I kind of liked the big band and swing stuff. The next year I saw a movie called "Swing Kids" and it really opened my mind to what swing music was - living, breathing, exciting music, not just some scratchy old record coming out of the speakers at the station. The dancing in the movie was amazing- I wanted to do that! At some stage I saw in the newspaper that a band called Hot Rod Lincoln played every week at Croce's in the Gaslamp- and gave swing dancing lessons before each show. I couldn't wait to turn 21.

When I did turn 21, in September of 1994, one of the very first things I did was go to Croce's with my mother and began learning to dance. Megan, a pretty girl in vintage clothes, Buzz, HRL's leader, and a big guy named Jim taught the swing dance lessons. They even played the Swing Kids soundtrack while we practiced! When the lesson was over, the band took to the stage. I found myself really digging on their music, thinking it sounded somehow familiar. Then they played a Stray Cats song. (Strut? Memphis? Can't remember, too long ago.) I screamed with delight, so loud I think I scared the band and everyone else in the club. Suddenly my childhood had just crashed into the present and my love for the Stray Cats came rushing back with great force. I was hooked from that moment on. I went dancing at Hot Rod Lincoln shows every chance I got, I bought all the Cats records on CD (including Stray Cats and Gonna Ball!) and started learning about rockabilly and rhythm and blues. I'd gotten my first tattoo at 18, flowers around my left ankle. At 21 after rediscovering the Stray Cats I got the wild cat on my right shoulder blade. I got a cat (a stray, no less) and named him Choo Choo Hot Fish - Choo Choo for short. Now at the age of 14 he still lives with my mother in San Diego.

While all this was going on, I learned that Brian Setzer had started an orchestra, so of course bought the CD. On first listen, I hated it. It seemed so tame compared to the excitement and danger of the Cats! But the more I listened to it, the more I liked it, until I couldn't stop listening to it. My job at the radio station afforded me the ability to learn a lot about the Bobby Darin and Nat King Cole songs on the record, and that combined with the Swing Kids movie launched my love of big band music.

Soon I learned that the Brian Setzer Orchestra would be playing at Thornton Winery in Temecula. I convinced a boy that I'd been stringing along to take me to the show, and it knocked me out. While the snobby winery crowd sat quietly through the majority of the show, I was up dancing and singing along through most of the show (god, that must've been annoying for everyone around me. I couldn't help it.) At the end the crowd was finally up on their feet, carefully balancing their wine glasses as they danced in front of their seats- but I was the only one at the foot of the stage screaming my fool head off. I managed to get a couple set lists, a pick and a program with Brian's picture on the cover. After the show I got to chat with one of the band members- a trombone player I think?

After the place had cleared out and we were about to get in the car and drive home, I noticed a big silver Cadillac parked near the venue's side door. I convinced the poor long suffering sap to wait to see what happened, whether that was Brian's car. Before long Brian and a few others walked out, and I said, "I have to go meet him." The sap waited in the car.

As I walked towards the Caddy, someone (I think it was Niels or Jerry) said, "sorry, we have to go." But Brian said, "hang on a second. I saw you out there sweetheart, how're you doing?" I have no idea what I said to him, but I know I was on cloud 9. Sweetheart! I asked him to sign my program, for which he used my back as a writing surface, and had the presence of mind to tell him about my tattoo. I tried to manouver the blouse to show it to him, and he grabbed the neckline of the shirt and pulled on it to have a look at the ink. I remember thinking "wow, Brian Setzer is looking down the back of my blouse right now!" Afterwards I said, "now you have to show me yours," and he grinned and said sure. He took off his jacket and lifted up his sleeve and I put my fingers on his tattoo, as if touching the original wild cat would somehow do or mean something. I gave him a hug and he gave me a kiss and I thanked him and started walking to the car where my poor sap of a date was waiting. I turned to look back and saw a crowd of people converging on the Caddy and Brian's blond head ducking into the car just in time. I realized what a precious five minutes I'd spent alone with Brian Setzer.

The In Crowd

With my lifestyle changing so quickly and me wanting to go out dancing four nights a week, the sap pretty quickly got left behind. I met a cute rockabilly boy at the HRL shows and before long we were a couple. He had the whole exciting and dangerous thing going for him, and I fell for it hook line and sinker. Damn you Brian. The guy turned out to be a terrible boyfriend. Of course, he loved the Stray Cats and Setzer too, and we went to the BSO shows every chance we got. We'd become friends with HRL, and went to their shows and danced every week. Shortly after we arrived one night, Buzz came over to us as we were settling in and said conspiratorially, "Brian Setzer is coming to the show tonight. He's in town to buy a car. I wanted to let you know so you guys are ready for it and don't freak out or anything. Save him a couple seats with you, okay?" Uh, okay! Was this for real?? Before long, Brian and his wife at the time did indeed come in. The bar was packed, but I don't think many people realized who had just walked in. Buzz led him to our table and made the introductions, and we found ourselves spending the entire evening with Brian Setzer. We chatted the whole time, about cars and music and acting (the boyfriend was a drummer and an aspiring actor). Brian and the boyfriend shared a beer, and Brian took a couple drags off the boyfriend's Lucky Strike cigarette (the butt of which he may well still own). Brian and I danced a couple songs, and I kept thinking, "is this really happening?" Through the course of the night Brian and the boyfriend both sat in with HRL, and when Brian was onstage the boyfriend and I would dance. Later in the evening when Brian was asking for requests, I shouted out "Fishnet Stockings!," my favorite Cats song at the time. He turned to the band and said "do you guys even know that song?" Of course! And away they went. I couldn't believe it, Brian Setzer was playing songs because I asked for them!

Last edited by Andi on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 2:35 pm

People had finally realized the Stray Cat was in the house, and lots of folks came up to talk to him. He was kind and friendly to every single one, even the drunk annoying guy who wanted to ask him over and over again about "Crazy Mixed Up Kid." It was one hell of a night, and of course we had no intention of leaving the club before Brian did. By end of the last set the bar was very nearly empty, but Brian was still amped. He'd turn to my boyfriend and say, "let's go fan the band!" They'd run over to the stage and take off their shirts and wave them at the band, telling them how on fire they were. It was undoubtedly one of the best shows Hot Rod Lincoln ever put on, with feedback like that from the Stray Cat. When they finally kicked us out and Brian and his wife went home with Buzz, we stood in the parking lot for probably a half hour and relived the entire thing, with lots of wide grins and "oh my god! Can you believe that just happened?!" We were walking on air for days.

Not long after, Hot Rod Lincoln released a CD called "Blue Cafe" produced by Lee Rocker, with the title track written by Brian Setzer. It is said that our night at the bar was the inspiration to the song. (Read about it here and here.) As for "that chick I was with all night drinkin'" mentioned in the lyrics, there were only two chicks at the table that night, me and his wife. I like to think that was me in the song, but she's probably just made up for the tune!!

At night, the boyfriend and I would go to sleep with the local smooth jazz radio station tuned in. One morning as we were waking up, we heard the DJ mention that Brian Setzer was in the studio this morning. That was all we needed to hear to leap out of bed and quickly dress and haul ass to the station. We flew up the stairs and asked if he was still here, only to be told he just left. We ran back down to the parking lot just in time to see his SUV pulling out. They stopped for us. "Hey, what're you doing here - you guys listen to this station?!" Brian asked. We explained it was great for going to sleep! We chatted for a couple minutes, then said our goodbyes. As we were about to pull out, Niels walked over to the car and said, "do you guys have any plans tomorrow night? We have to do this record industry party and Brian wanted to know if you want to come." We were gobsmacked. Yes, of course we'll be there! It was a crowded party and Brian was much in demand so we didn't have much chance to chat with him, but we were totally thrilled to have been invited. It got to the point where every time we saw his show, we'd dance at the front of the crowd, he'd smile and wave and chat with us when he could, hugs and handshakes all 'round. I don't think he knew our names, but we felt like part of the "in crowd."

As usually happens with relationships started in bars, the relationship with the rockabilly boy fell apart. All along I'd still been working at the radio station, which ended up being part of a cluster of stations. I was doing commercial production for 91X and three other stations by this time, and had just started a 2 hour show every Saturday night on KPOP - I called it Jump Jive an' Wail, and I played big band, swing, rockabilly, western swing, jump blues, you name it. I was really lucky during the course of doing the radio show to have the chance to meet and interview Keely Smith, Sam Butera, James Darren, and all the new swing bands when they came into town- I couldn't have asked for a better job, and I couldn't believe they paid me for it. While I didn't go out dancing very often any more, I still went to BSO shows every chance I got, and once when Brian played "Bud Bowl" in the Gaslamp Quarter in 1998, I had a chance to chat with him and told him I had just started a show called Jump Jive an' Wail. He said that was really cool. Next thing I know, Dirty Boogie comes out, and the song Jump Jive an' Wail is on it! I couldn't help but wonder about that, whether the timing was completely coincidental...

By this time in mid 1998, I'd begun an internet romance with a handsome Australian named Dean. Two months after we'd met online, he visited the states to meet me in person and it was absolutely love at first site. We got engaged, but he had to go back to Australia for four months to quit his job and pack up his life before moving to California to marry me. While he was away I kept doing my radio show, while planning a vintage wedding with a our local 10 piece big band, Big Time Operator, as the reception entertainment.

When I heard that the BSO would be coming in to 91X one morning - all 17 of them - to play live, I made sure I was ready, and alerted my mom to be at the station for it too. Dressed in my favorite vintage style dress and with my hair all done up like nobody in our office had ever seen, I walked down the hall towards the studio just as Brian was walking towards the studio from the opposite direction. He looked tired, like he'd been working nonstop. But his eyes lit up when he saw me and he gave me a big hug and kiss and said "what are you doing here?" I told him I worked here, and that I certainly wasn't going to miss this. My coworkers were all confounded, why did I seem to have such a friendly relationship with Brian Setzer? I think I grinned from ear to ear the entire day. The performance was quite entertaining, only Brian could fit in the tiny studio and the big band had to trail all the way down the hallway, rocking the roof off of our office building. It was so cool. As they packed up to leave, I asked Brian if it'd be possible to get him into one of our production studios for just 5 minutes to record a quick interview for my Saturday night radio show. He said of course. As we walked down the hall to the production studio, Jerry stopped him and said "we have to go," and he said, "just hang on, I want to do this interview." I thought my heart would burst out of my chest.

25 Years of Love Setzer1998

I had typed up some questions the night before on the off chance that I was able to interview him, with the giant heading "BRIAN F***ING SETZER!!!!" just in case I forgot who I was talking to. I was nervous and it was probably the worst interview I've ever done (it required heavy editing afterwards to make me sound coherent in some spots), and he was obviously very tired, but extremely accommodating. I think back now and realize how incredibly giving he was of his time, all the time. I asked him about having been doing the big band for a few years now and how the audience received it. His answer started with, "well you and me, we've been into this stuff for a long time..." My grin was a mile wide. I also teased him about doing JJ&W after I'd told him that's what I had named my radio show, and he remembered the conversation. He started talking about recording the song, and at one point actually sang "jump jive an'... then you wail!" in the middle of a sentence. More grinning from me. At the end of the interview he obliged me by recording a liner for me. I'd written, "hey this is Brian Setzer. You're listening to the swingingest show on the electric radio, Jump Jive an' Wail with Andi, on AM 1360 K-POP." What he actually said was, "hey this is Brian Setzer, of the Brian Setzer Orchestra...." I thought it was cute that he felt the need to specify that! I produced the liner afterwards and threw in the bit where he sang "Jump Jive an' Wail" a cappella. It was a one of a kind recording, and I played it on my show every chance I got. As we wrapped up the interview, I asked if it'd be okay if my mother took a picture of us - after all this time, it would be the first one I had. My grin looks absolutely enormous in the photo, but I have to say, he looks pretty happy too. My mother mentioned the fact that I was getting married in November, and would he be able to make it to the wedding? First he asked if I was marrying that guy.... no, no no! Different guy! Much better guy! Brian seemed to genuinely want to come, and asked the date. He looked to Niels, was he available? No, sadly, he was busy. Ah well.

Not long after that, I got an email from Niels. He was going to be getting married, and could I recommend a local swing band that might be able to play his wedding? Of course, Brian would want to sit in with them. I ended up giving him a couple different names and he went with one of my suggestions. I secretly hoped to be invited to the wedding but that didn't materialize! I was pretty impressed that Brian's manager was asking me for wedding band advice, and hoped desperately that the band did a good job. I followed up with Niels afterwards and congratulated him and asked him how it went, and he said they were great. Whew! Can't even remember the name of the band now.

End of an era

I had the opportunity to meet up with Brian a few more times after that, and was finally able to introduce Brian to my loving husband at one show that Dean and I attended with Alex, the cohost of my radio show (which had morphed into a six hour weekend extravaganza called "Jumpin' Like Mad.") Alex was pretty stoked to meet the Cat too, and Dean was happy to take a photo of the three of us. That was probably 7 years ago, and that was the last time I got to talk to Brian Setzer.

25 Years of Love Setzer2001

Dean and I left San Diego for Atlanta, then eventually Australia, and life has changed significantly since those days. Heavier, older, a bit more heavily tattooed, dabbling in photography and running a nonprofit sustainability organization that keeps us way too busy to dress to the nines and go out dancing. We now have two dogs, sisters named Rhythm and Blues. In 2006 we had to do a quick trip back to the states that just happened to coincide with Hootenanny, so we went along and I got some excellent photos of James Intveld, The Living End, Lee Rocker and my old friend Buzz Campbell. Some of the photos are on flickr, and there are more on Lee's site. It was good to roll up the jeans and put on the makeup again, like an old friend. As when I was a kid, my musical tastes have wandered, but they always come back to their roots in the Stray Cats, rockabilly, swing...

Way back when I got my wild cat tattoo, my dad asked, "what if one day Brian Setzer kills somebody or something crazy like that? How are you going to feel about having that on your back?" I pointed out to him that the tattoo was much more than just because I liked Brian Setzer. Setzer and his music had shaped my love of music, my career, my entire life. If anything had happened any differently, I wouldn't be who I am today. My cat tattoo marks the beginning of me becoming me. Plus, are you kidding me? Kill someone?! Come on!

So the tiny, ratty old Stray Cats shirt will continue with me no matter where I roam. Though those old scribbled on albums are gone, I still have the music and still listen to it every so often, and find myself missing it if I go too long without hearing it. Sometimes I put on one of the CDs and get Dean to dance with me in the living room. It's a cozy, familiar relationship: it's been 25 years, and me and Brian, we're still going strong.

Epilogue

In August of 2008, after I'd written the story above and renewed my passion for the music and the band, Dean and I left on our around the world tour. We booked tickets to see the Cats in Senigallia, Italy and Paris, France on their Farewell Tour. I took my threadbare 25 year old Cats shirt with me all around the world, treating it as one of my most valuable possessions, in hopes that I might be able to get it signed by all three Cats and hang it on my wall as a memento of my 25 years of Love. It was not to be, but we have tickets to both Brisbane shows in Feb 2009 too, so there's still a chance!

25 Years of Love 2848229482_33d637eac0_m

In the end, I got something just as special to hang on my walls - photographs. Having become a serious digital photography enthusiast in the last couple years, I was so excited when the former Setzer/Cats webmaster Tommy Maguire made it possible for me to shoot both the Senigallia and Paris shows from the press area. It was the first time I'd ever shot a subject so close to my own heart, and I was very pleased to have my photos on briansetzer.com and straycats.com, even if it was only for a short time. It was also a total thrill for me to see, and photograph, my hometown rockabilly band Hot Rod Lincoln opening for the Cats in Paris. I couldn't have been prouder of them, playing on a huge stage with expert lighting and sound, impressing 5,000 screaming rockabilly fans with their showmanship and musicianship. And to think this is the same little three piece bar band that helped fuel my love for the music and the Cats so many years ago.

25 Years of Love 2843004570_55dd0875ee_m

On this same trip, we spent some time in the US. I have been thinking about learning to play guitar for several months and finally decided it was time to do it- buy a guitar and put my nose to the grindstone. I bought a cheap acoustic while still in Australia, but it didn't inspire me to play. Only one thing would, a Setzer Gretsch. I found a great deal on a used one, bought it in the US and brought it home. As many of you have seen, I practice every chance I get. It's a slow process, but I'm slowly getting better. Thanks for the inspiration, Brian.

While in hometown San Diego, at the end of our four month long trip, I decided it was time to add another tattoo to my collection of ink memories. I remembered that the pinup girl that appeared on many of the Stray Cats' early records would've been the first pinup I ever saw - at the time I thought her sexy, dangerous looking, maybe a little confusing and intimidating to my young mind. Later I ended up collecting pinup girls- we have numerous framed Bettie Pages and Vargas girls around our house as I type. Yet another influence in my life for which the Stray Cats were responsible! I commemorated that original pinup girl with a tattoo, with the Latin words "Dulce Periculum" (Sweet Danger) on either side of her.

Lots of things have changed in Setzerland in the past few months. Some have been left with a bad taste in their mouths about all of it and feel it's a difficult time to be a fan. Many agree that some disappointing decisions were made recently by Setzer or his team, but very few people can really know the full story, so speculation is useless. Hopefully we're just in a rough patch, and the legendary rapport and good influence Brian Setzer had with his fans and friends over the years (the very thing that made them fans and friends in the first place) will happen again. In the meantime, I hope this story brought a smile to your face as it has mine, and that we can all get back to appreciating Brian Setzer and Stray Cats for the gifts of great music, entertainment and style they've given us all for thirty years.

25 Years of Love 2847397225_970a6175a9

***UPDATE March 2009*** For anyone who might happen to find this thread, the story did indeed continue- click here.

Last edited by Andi on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:38 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Very nice to read this again. Funny to see your pinup tattoo, My brand new tattoo is the Stray cats pinup girl to but in black and grey. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Wow.

Thank you very much for posting that again - I missed it the first time.

That was a great read - thanks for sharing Andi!

As always, your photos are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.setzerarchive.com
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Great post, Andi. Thanks for putting it on the Lounge as well! I never got around to reading this when you posted it on the official board, and all of a sudden the whole board was gone... Sad

I've never met Brian (but my band supported Slim Jim's trio a few years ago), but considering the "situation" these days, it's very nice to read about how fans *used to be* treated Wink

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Kelley

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:12 pm

I never saw this post before either, thanks for sharing!!!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Hey glad you all enjoyed it. I hope it helps bring back some "warm fuzzies" Very Happy

Bob, get over into the tats thread and show us a picture of your lovely inked lady! I'm very curious to see what it looks like next to mine! (Which is looking like hell right now, we're in the scabby stage... she'll be pretty in a week or so though!)
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:36 pm

In the scabby stage .. put it up next week.
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 pm

What an excellent story - I found it rather touching and heartwarming. It is an affirmation from other people I know who have met Mr Setzer that he is a man who always has time for his fans Cool

Thanks very much for posting

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
Brent

Brent

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 6:36 am

Hey Andi,

Enjoyed those stories even more the second time! Thanks!

Brent
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
Andi

Andi

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 1:23 pm

glad you enjoyed 'em everyone. Somehow I doubt I'll be asked to photograph the Brisbane shows in February, so there's a good chance that's the end of my story- but I can always hope for another Rainbow 'round my shoulder!
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi Andi.

What a fantastic story to read. 25 years of love and not an end in sight. With everything that's happened lately, Brian and the guy's music is the one constant that we'll cherish forever. It's a gift given that can never be taken away from us. At the end of the day can we really ever ask for more? In my view, no, I've been given more than I could ever imagine and for these gifts, I will forever be grateful.

Thanks for sharing Andi.

Take care,

René
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Jon Pascual

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Absolutely superb, honest. Wish I ever had the chance of meeting Setzer, at least for a pic and an autograph...
Though the rockingest cat will ever be Mr Slim Jim Phantom!! ;-)
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Jon Pascual wrote:
Absolutely superb, honest. Wish I ever had the chance of meeting Setzer, at least for a pic and an autograph...
Though the rockingest cat will ever be Mr Slim Jim Phantom!! ;-)

thanks Andi.... btw, how bout 3 restraining orders? Those have
to be signed by the stalkee. Instant autographs...teehheeeee. jocolor

Last edited by tvthewiredturtle on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Kelley

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 5:22 pm

incredible bassist, Jim???
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 5:42 pm

kelley68 wrote:

.. this aint the thread 4 that really, at least its not fair to Andi.
The cave awaits you for all things instrument=al. Smile btw.. be careful though down
there... anytime a chick visits the cave, the boys think they're getting sammiches and
beer. pig
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
btw.. be careful though down
there... anytime a chick visits the cave, the boys think they're getting sammiches and
beer.
pig
Don't make me come down there with a whip... Wink

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
Jon Pascual

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 6:26 am

Well, that's what I think Turtle. Setzer might be leading the band, but Jim to me is the coolest of the three. The way he dresses, the spirit he takes. He never seems to be bored and I love his acting on the stage... but every person likes a different cat.

And as Brian Setzer says when introducing Slim Jim... "if you look up the word Rockabilly on the dictionary, you'll see a picture of him... SLIM JIM PHANTOM"
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 am

Jon Pascual wrote:
Well, that's what I think Turtle. Setzer might be leading the band, but Jim to me is the coolest of the three. The way he dresses, the spirit he takes. He never seems to be bored and I love his acting on the stage... but every person likes a different cat.

And as Brian Setzer says when introducing Slim Jim... "if you look up the word Rockabilly on the dictionary, you'll see a picture of him... SLIM JIM PHANTOM"

Jim does seem to have a really big heart, a real free spirit that flows out of his performance.... drummers in general seem to be built from different
cloth in a band.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 am

kelley68 wrote:

sometimes whiskey sours say things that dont jive drunken
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

The camera batteries are charged, the directions and tickets are printed and the bags are almost packed! Tomorrow morning we'll drop off Rhythm and Blues at the pet hotel on the way to Brisbane, where I'll see the Stray Cats for the fourth and fifth times in my life, and Brian Setzer for the umpteenth time. I am so grateful and proud that this music is a part of my life. It's now been 26 Years of Love, and the story keeps on going!
Back to top Go down
FrenchyCat

FrenchyCat

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Have 2 very good shows, Andi, maybe the best you've ever seen!
Enjoy cheers

FrenchyCat
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Have a great time Andi. Blow the roof off that place. Think of us lot when you're having a drink afterwards cheers

René
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Sponsored content

25 Years of Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: 25 Years of Love   25 Years of Love Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

25 Years of Love
Page 1 of 1