Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nashville Nocturne-

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bigbassape

Bigbassape

Nashville Nocturne- Empty
PostSubject: Nashville Nocturne-   Nashville Nocturne- Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Got me a Nocturne in the mail today. First impressions- well built, simple design, looks good to boot.

now for the meat of it.

Test #1 = Gretsch Pro jet 5128T with TV Jones Classics --> Echo 1 Delay Pedal ----> little gretsh 5 watt class A combo that I cant remember the model of.

Since this is the 'rig' i use most. (i'm a bass player professionally, so my guitar playing is limited to writing and doing demos) I thougth it would be a good place to start. I removed the boss over drive from the signal chain and added the Nocturne. with the gain at Unity, and no roll off on the bass the Nocturne adds a nice thickness and top end sheen to the tone that was noticable even with this little amp. as I increased the gain i understood the need for the bass roll off. with the amp on 5 and the nocturne at 4 oclock (1/2 boost approx) I really saw what makes this pedal shine. just a touch of boost and it seemed every note was somehow more upfront, and i found that when travis picking each note had a bit more clarity than with out the nocturne. Increse the gain to full blast. really made that little amp sound like ass. a 5 watt amp with a low quality 6 inch speaker is not built to handle that kind of boost. on to test #2

Test #2 = Joe Strummer Telecaster (stock) ---> Nocturne ----> Boss Overdrive/distortion ----> Echo 1 Delay pedal- gretsch combo.

I thought it would be fun to try out the Nocturne on some punkrock oriented sounds. I love the boss OD for this, Tone at 11 oclock, gain at 8 oclock (doesnt need much) blend all the way to overdrive.
This is a great sound for a chunky rhythm guitar part . it breaks up but it's not distortion.
with the Noctune at Unity, the tele really came alive. This combo amp loves that boss pedal, and that boss pedal really loves the nocturne. the tone was immediatley bigger, with a certain edge to it that was really cool. gain to 4 oclock, the overdrive pedal really loves this setting. its just on the edge of full blown distortion. in the middle pickup position, with the volume pot down just slightly, this combination yields a very believable SRV type rhythm sound. open the volume pot up, go to the bridge position, and its more of a malcolm young vibe. With the NOcturne maxed, and both knobs wide open, it lent itself to a very nasty Jeff Beck sort of tone.
At this point I swap out the Tele for my Projet again. WOW! Nocturne maxed into OD pedal with gain turned up to about 10 oclock. sounded much like a humbucker gibson through a Big Muff Pi. very thick and swampy sound. not much good for chords, but the notes just scream.....

Coming up tommorrow night-
5120 with Dynasonics-
Danelectro baritone
Fender P-bass.....

GOOD JOB TAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-g
Back to top Go down

Nashville Nocturne-
Page 1 of 1