Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations

Go down 
+9
Sharky
badkitty
tvthewiredturtle
Spanishdavid
BSO_Rocks
Guitarmaniac
webelvis
Aussie_Sam
Andi
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Empty
PostSubject: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 4:46 pm

I am cancelling the One Good Thing SSLVO auction/proceeds giveaway.

For those that are still interested, the guitar will be put on eBay sometime next week and the proceeds donated to the VH1 Save The Music program. Thank you for your participation.

My Gretsch Brian Setzer G6120SSLVO is now officially for auction to the highest bidder. Proceeds of the auction will go to a recipient or recipients to be chosen by members of the Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge Message Board. Somebody gets a fantastic guitar, somebody else gets a nice cash boost, and we ALL get some serious warm fuzzies. That's One Good Thing for everybody. 'Cause Brian Setzer fans rock!

NOMINATIONS for the recipient/s of the funds are open now and will close at 6pm Pacific Time on September 10, 2009 (my birthday!) Put your nomination in this thread - make it official by saying, "I nominate ____." Make your case for why you think the money should go to your nominee. I'd personally like to see the money go to a Brian Setzer fan or fans - preferably someone from the HDVDL - but if everyone decides to send it to a charity or something that's cool with me too. Nominate whomever you like, and as many nominees as you like, but:

1. You cannot nominate yourself.
2. If you decide to nominate an individual/family/private person you must get their permission first.
3. All nominations must be made publicly - do not message me privately with your nomination.

***Nominations will only be counted from forum members who joined the Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge Message Board before August 29, 2009.***

More details here.

Sept 1, 2009 clarification: when you nominate an individual, they must also comment in this thread indicating that they accept the nomination, otherwise the nomination is not valid. Please do not nominate any individual without their permission first, and make sure they publicly accept the nomination.

Last edited by Andi on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Aussie_Sam

Aussie_Sam

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 11:10 pm

WOW Andi, thats way too nice of you, I nominate YOU keep the money of the sale....Your too sweet hun...
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:22 am

Andi, you're such a wonderful person. This is such a great thing of you to do!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 6:07 am

Sorry Sam, your nomination doesn't count. Razz

The HDVDL is filled with wonderful people, many of whom are struggling - single moms, folks who can't find work, people dealing with health issues, business owners doing their damnedest to make ends meet, families trying to get by, good people who have had things go sideways for them. I'm a happiness junkie - seeing us as Brian Setzer fans provide a little help to one of our own would give me way more of a high than pocketing the money myself. See webby, I'm not that wonderful, I do have a selfish motive - I'm after that rush Smile

(All that said, it is important to me that we don't embarass anyone that is dealing with their stuff privately - which is why I said if you want to nominate an individual you have to get their permission first. And that's why I'm cool with it going to a charity too.)
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 8:49 am

WOW cyclops
You really are crazy for happyness, aren't you?^^
That is the greatest, most generous thing I have ever seen in a discussion forum!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 am

I should mention to everyone - your nominee doesn't have to be going through a hardship or anything like that, it can just be because they are someone everybody likes here at the HDVDL, or whatever reason you like! But do give a reason - tell us a compelling story if you actually want people to vote for your nominee!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 3:20 pm

And my votes are for....

Scatman, Frenchy Cat & Spanish David!
Back to top Go down
BSO_Rocks

BSO_Rocks

PostSubject: Nomination   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:29 pm

Andi, I think this idea of yours is great. I'd like to nominate that the proceeds go to :

The Humane Society of the United States. Give those poor abused animals some lovin'.

http://www.hsus.org/
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Thank you BSO_Rocks!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:01 am

I nominate Kid Setzer!

She has to pay her student loan and I think the money could help her do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 am

Okay, it looks like the whole nomination process for individuals is going to get messy.

Guitarmaniac has nominated Kid, Jon has nominated Scatman, Frenchy Cat and Spanishdavid (even though David himself is bidding on the guitar - that would kind of defeat the purpose), and Sharky made the suggestion that Mandi would be a good nominee. (Which I don't disagree with, but does anyone even know how to get in touch with her? Some time ago I emailed her with a board-related question and didn't get a response.)

As I said before, I do not want to embarass anyone, or have us shine a spotlight on someone who doesn't want the attention (particularly any folks dealing with hardships). I also don't want nominees who will turn it down, for whatever reason. This is why I asked everyone to get permission from their proposed nominee first.

How do I keep track of whether the individual has given their permission to be nominated? How do you all think I should handle it?
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 am

I have no clue.... BUT..... I don´t want to be nominated. Not that I wouldn´t have a use for that money, but I am sure there are people out here who would need it more than me. So... get me off the list.

Also..... I am a bidder..... can I nominate someone anyway?

And.... I think we should only nominate one person, right? LIke Jon... he nominated 3 people. Could we just nominate one candidate instead of two or three? just a suggestion to make this easier...

Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 am

Dont we have a gal on this forum that is a single mom and is still out of work? I like the chapt
in the old testament in the book of Isaiah, where the Israelite nation is being told by their God that
he was sick and tired of their pious religious acts and in-fightings, and He was more concerned that they
take care of the oppressed and the hungry. (isaiah 58?)

that friend of ours (out of work single mom) is perfect candidate for some relief
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 am

Hey, I've been on a losing streak for the last couple of years, but still wouldn't want to be singled out for attention like this. Let's just give it to the furkids as bso_rocks suggests; we as humans have choices that they don't.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:10 pm

The more I consider it the more I am certain that if people follow the rules as stated and nominate someone only with that person's express advance permission this will go smoothly.

Let's make the rules even more specific: when you nominate an individual, they must also comment in this thread indicating that they accept the nomination, otherwise the nomination is not valid.

At the moment our only valid nominee is the Humane Society of the United States. Kid, Scatman and Frenchy Cat let us know if you accept your nominations, otherwise they will not be valid.

Going forward, please do not nominate any individual without their permission first, and make sure they publicly accept the nomination.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Spanishdavid wrote:
Also..... I am a bidder..... can I nominate someone anyway?

Could we just nominate one candidate instead of two or three?

Bidders can nominate, and message board members can nominate however many people they want - but during voting week (Sept 10-17) each message board member will only be allowed one vote. Thanks for the comments and the bid, David!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:37 pm

For those that are interested in researching potential charities for the nomination or voting process, I found two charity rating/evaluation websites. They cover a large number of US nonprofits:

http://www.charityguide.org/volunteer/charityratings.htm

http://www.charitynavigator.org/
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, if we can nominate charities, then I have a perfect and appropriate selection:

VH1 - SAVE THE MUSIC - buys instruments for children in areas that can't afford them.

http://www.vh1.com/partners/save_the_music/index.html

Since the money comes from musical instruments, this would be a fitting charity.

My wife teaches music in Cincinnati Public schools. Their programs have been helped tremendously by VH1 Save the Music. It is a good organization and brings instruments to kids who would not have otherwise been able to play one.

Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Home-top
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:20 pm

I know of a message board member that REALLY needs the money.

It is a caring person, and I will write the story of that member as soon as I get permission.... cause I know this person doesn´t like people to feel sorry for his/her.
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Thank you very much, Sharky and Spanishdavid.

I hope that all of our potential nominees will see One Good Thing in the spirit that it is intended: a community of friends with a common enthusiasm for the music of Brian Setzer taking the opportunity to make things just a little bit easier for one of our own.

Personally, I have no intention of feeling sorry for anyone - I just want us to share a big ol' smile together! Dig?

I'd buy everyone a beer with the money if I could but logistically that's a bit tough Smile
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, I'll go out on a limb and accept the nomintation - thanks guitarmaniac! Very Happy

I look forward to seeing who else from the board gets nominated.. Let's make this something fun where we as a community can help one of our own (or a charity).. I know some people here may feel weird accepting a nomination, especially with charities already being nominated, but if you need the money and it can really help you out with your financial hardship then I see no shame in accepting a nomination.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 9:19 am

That's the spirit, Kid! Good on ya!

One week left for nominations, everyone!
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 10:00 am

Last edited by Spanishdavid on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 am

David, first of all, thank you for that moving plea on Lisa's behalf. It is obvious from your story that Lisa and yourself are very lucky to have each other as friends.

Secondly, you've shared a lot of personal details about Lisa's situation. I am sure you got her permission because you said you would. I would just caution anyone else who might misunderstand about the nomination process, thinking they could nominate and share any details they wanted, and hope that when the nominee reads it later, they aren't upset and will accept the nomination. Get their permission BEFORE you nominate them. You would think that's just common sense, but common sense seems to evade certain members from time to time.

You've done a very nice thing, David!

Shiny Happy-billy

Last edited by Rickabilly on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spanishdavid

Spanishdavid

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Last edited by Spanishdavid on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations   Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Setzer Fans One Good Thing: Nominations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next