Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Make a Wish for 2009...

Go down 
+21
Pistol Pete
sidelake bob
Andi
jonhope
Davy Jones
steb74
jshea71
Kingsley16
tvthewiredturtle
donpepe
Jess
EskimoPie
pony65k
Kelley
Chillicat
Swansea City
Hot Rod Girl
Guitarmaniac
webelvis
Cristo
Le Hub'
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

Make a Wish for 2009... Empty
PostSubject: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:55 am

So a new year is startin' after a year without any recording and a very special farewell tour (for europeans and, most of all, for french...)
What kind of record would you like this year (if one comes !) : a solo Like a Star @ heaven , a BSO Like a Star @ heaven or a... Stray Cats Like a Star @ heaven record ?
And what would like to find in this record ?
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:47 am

I want a SOLO album! Some more o' that '13' style stuff, I love that album. Just let loose, let 'er rip!
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:51 am

All three!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyswingjazz
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:53 am

I totally agree with Webby.
As Solo Album I would like to have: Rockabilly Riot II
And I would be happy about everything else, too^^

Oh Boy =)

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:05 pm

How 'bout that punk polka album???

Laughing
hrg

seriously....I'd be great with another BSO non-Christmas album, or a rockabilly album along the lines of Ignition.
Back to top Go down
Swansea City

Swansea City

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 pm

A new Stray Cats studio album - nothing else thank you!
Back to top Go down
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
How 'bout that punk polka album???

Laughing
hrg

seriously....I'd be great with another BSO non-Christmas album, or a rockabilly album along the lines of Ignition.

i'll second that... i've been a little disappointed with everything that's gone on... but optimist that i am i'm hopeful! Smile
cat
C
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm with Cristo!
HOWEVER.....
I would love for Brian to do one song with a Spanish style guitar, I love that sound can get pretty hot Very Happy
(or has Brian done anything like that before and I missed it?)
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 pm

I'll take with open arms anything that gets thrown my way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:25 am

I wish to be able to go see a show- BSO, solo, Stray Cats, karaoke, any of Brian's incarnations!
Back to top Go down
Jess

Jess

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:42 am

A real ROCKabilly album, with a twist of Live Nude Guitars. I wanna have an album with a lot of pedals. Please no more standart rockabilly, too many doing that allready. I WANNA ROCK
Back to top Go down
http://www.taggytones.dk
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 am

kelley68 wrote:
I'm with Cristo!
HOWEVER.....
I would love for Brian to do one song with a Spanish style guitar, I love that sound can get pretty hot Very Happy
(or has Brian done anything like that before and I missed it?)

Have you ever heard MALAGUENA from Ignition ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 am

um, choochoohothub, I dont' know all of Brian's music yet, I am still quite new to it, sorry Embarassed

BUT I have found the coolest version of the song, listen!

now that is my kind of music!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 am

Album full of BS originals, no matter what the style, loads of good guitar playing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:32 am

Hmm, I have the huntch that there's going to be something coming from Australia... I don't know... if when they toured Europe back in 2004 we got Rumble in Brixton, on their Farewell OZ tour, would be quite logic to have a live recording, don't you think??

In any case,
no more BSO for a while would be great but another LIVE NUDE GUITARS or ROCKABILLY RIOT 2 sounds great to me
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:52 am

We got a million 5 chord rockabilly bands either being spooky n evil, or happy and drunk ( the pot caling the kettle black ) and virtuoso, medium bendable Swing band Jazz'ers across the planet. ZZZzzzzzzz.... ( as bernie mac used to say " 'm tired america, 'm tired, tired!"

I want the BRIAN SETZER who said screw the trio and let me do my thang!! He showed up in the 90s to the K-ROQ radio station in L.A. to perform live on radio this new creation of his and I said "FINALLY, He's come into his OWN..hot damn, music is cool again. Its tough and its romantic! I want to smoke a cigar, have a martini, kiss my girl hard on the mouth and drive all night in the rain with THIS MUSIC pouring out of my radio!!!".

I wish He could get back to what he does best; a big band with Vegas meets Spy music.
His soul lives and breathes this genre and when he sings it, I believe it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:40 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
We got a million 5 chord rockabilly bands either being spooky n

I wish He could get back to what he does best; a big band with Vegas meets Spy music.

Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh. Well said, TV! I second this request!

cheers
hrg
Back to top Go down
Kingsley16

Kingsley16

PostSubject: 2009 album wish   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am

I love Brian's vocal contributions uncontested, but as a new guitar player myself, I would really appreciate a guitar intrumental album with influences from Ry Cooder to the Ventures. Some Dawane Eddie twang to Chet Atkins pickin. Song styles with the driving force of "Elvis on velvet" from the Choo Choo Hot Fish album to the driving Funk style of, "Listen to the music", by the Doobie Brothers. Don't forget the fun loving guitar styles of SRV, or Freddie King

Last edited by Kingsley16 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:19 am

Oh yeah, some classic picking stuff would be awsome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
Kingsley16

Kingsley16

PostSubject: the trick??   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:31 am

wat is the trick to posting a YouTube video?
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:19 am

I wonder if its an american thing? we are so saturated with the usual fair and have so many doing the same dang thing over and over and over, we just balk at yet another talented guitarist noodling around the favorites? Especially here in the L.A. area, we have the Guitar Institute for cryin out loud. It pumps out guitar hero clones left and right....

btw.. I really really want to know what Setzer's "Elvis on velvet" holds musically. I dont ask
sarcastically at all, it just sounds like they needed a filler song for the album and had been
listening to the club version of Billy Idol's "dancing with myself" one too many times.

...okay that sounded sarcastic. I cant help myself. clown

an instrumental album is a must at somepoint. brad praisley did one for his guitar fans!
Back to top Go down
jshea71

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:46 am

My take on "Elvis On Velvet" is that while there certainly anything terribly deep musically, I think a lot of that song is about finding a different sound for the Cats. Like that bit in there with the flange-y bit. I just got that "Elvis On Velvet" was the Cats and Edmunds trying something different. And I think the lyrics probably made that an easier song to toy with, as they aren't particularly musical lyrics. And for me, the entire record is a lot of that, trying different sounds. In terms of just "sound" it's a pretty diverse album.

As far as 2009, I REALLY hope Setzer does the Nashville thing that was mentioned on the official site at one point as a future possibility. Get some really talented songwriters and producers and give that a shot. Brian covering Chris Knight or Steve Earle. That'd be awesome. Or, if he did go back and do another BSO album, I really wish he'd go back to the vibe of the original Brian Setzer Orchestra album. A less rockabilly/swing tinged, more bluesy/jazzy. I think that's my favorite BSO album.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:05 am

jshea71 wrote:
My take on "Elvis On Velvet" is that while there certainly anything terribly deep musically, I think a lot of that song is about finding a different sound for the Cats. Like that bit in there with the flange-y bit. I just got that "Elvis On Velvet" was the Cats and Edmunds trying something different. And I think the lyrics probably made that an easier song to toy with, as they aren't particularly musical lyrics. And for me, the entire record is a lot of that, trying different sounds. In terms of just "sound" it's a pretty diverse album.

thats makes sense and for that I guess I can appreciate its historical sense as it was probably hard enough to want for the band to stay together and still make something
work musically in a changing tide. Although ultimately its very dated and doesnt have the
timeless vibe of when they were wild n hungry artists.
All to say I think I need to be honest with myself and accept that as much as I am an 80s
child I want to barf at all the pop vibes at that time. It was like a neon hippie era that allowed too much experimentation by record execs that didnt have a damn clue about
music and art, thus drowned the artists with every pop culture whim that graced the television screen.

Thank God Setzer was smarter n craftier than those wolves who all said he couldnt have his dream.

-coffee boy
Back to top Go down
steb74

steb74

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
btw.. I really really want to know what Setzer's "Elvis on velvet" holds musically.
Well, for one thing, absolute killer guitar playing!
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:

As much as I enjoyed Wolfgang's Big Night Out, I have to admit that my favorite BSO period is the Guitar Slinger/Dirty Boogie Era. I sort of would like to see a return to that style of BSO (i.e. Buzz, Buzz, My Baby Only Cares for Me, Brand New Cadillac, and of course Hollywood Nocturne) music as well. The other thing I would suggest is take the lessons learned from Wolfgang's Big Night Out, and focus on the orchestration of songs. Don't be afraid to mix in some bossa nova style acoustic guitar, gypsy jazz stylings, or (I know this will be unpopular with some of ye) string sections (i.e. September Skies & Love is Repaid By Love Alone). Perhaps even get the agents in touch with Pinewood Studios for the chance at recording the next Bond Theme, as that's a sure way to cross-promote and sell some albums.

As for other recordings besides BSO, I'll admit I'd much rather see another original Stray Cats album, or failing that a new album of trio material, rather than Rockabilly Riot 2. But that's just me. May I also humbly suggest a guest spot for Capt. Teague (aka Keith Richards) on a track or two as well.

Finally, as for the touring aspect, when the BSO return, how bout' a Pirates themed set? You could have all the orchestra in hats, with scabbards for their horns, as well as have Brian and/or the Vixens in full pirate costumes as well, a big Jolly Roger Flag for your backdrop, and you could start the show with a medley of Pirates of the Caribbean tunes.

Oh well, guess I be getting a little carried away there with that last paragraph. Let me end by saying good luck with whatever he decides to do, as I will be happy with any new recroding, but those be my preferences.

Capt. Jones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Make a Wish for 2009...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next