Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Make a Wish for 2009...

Go down 
+21
Pistol Pete
sidelake bob
Andi
jonhope
Davy Jones
steb74
jshea71
Kingsley16
tvthewiredturtle
donpepe
Jess
EskimoPie
pony65k
Kelley
Chillicat
Swansea City
Hot Rod Girl
Guitarmaniac
webelvis
Cristo
Le Hub'
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kingsley16

Kingsley16

Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: EoV   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:37 am

"Elvis on Velvet" by the Stray Cats is "Heavy Music" by Bob Seger is "Fire Woman" by the Cult. To me, sometimes its about that simple driving sound that moves me to unexplainabley throwing my fists to the beat and crying at the top of my voice with every word of the song. "Come On Come In" by Velvet revolver is another impulsive driving performance that leaves you breathless as a survivor of one of the battle scenes from the movie "Braveheart".

I understand the uniqueness Setzer stood sound to when all were being dragged around by the pop chart rating systems on the 80's but I also appreciate his contributions after leaving the Cats and his efforts with "knife feels like justice" album, whick was very pop-rockie

Dk
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:39 am

Oh yeah, teaming up with Keith Richards would be KILLER!!
Imagine a song starting with some riff chord strumming by Keith and then Brian kicking in with Ignition style solo guitar.

And for your pirate fetish:
On the 2006 RHCP Stadium Arcadium Tour all the sound guys, roadies and etc. dressed up like pirates and pretended the "island" in the middle of the croud from where they do all the lights and stuff was their pirate ship.
That was kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:12 pm

kelley68 wrote:
um, choochoohothub, I dont' know all of Brian's music yet, I am still quite new to it, sorry Embarassed

BUT I have found the coolest version of the song, listen!

now that is my kind of music!! Very Happy

Hi,

Here you go - ignore the visuals (which have nothing to do with Brian) but just listen to him rip through his own interpretation of the same tune here - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9Guf4TwVw

Enjoy

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm in good company if y'all like the RHCP and The Cult...

btw.. just saw Keif in Scorcese's "Shine a light" so dang awesome in B&W, even with my little 37" LDC sharp aquos HDTV

ps. Okay.. I just pulled out my Straycats retrospective album "Runaway boys" and
punched on track 25 "elvis on velvet"...my 5 yr ran over to the stereo and cranked it
as he's playin with Hotwheels and loves the song...

now I know what I dont like; the fugly 80s girl background vocals, these stupid canned
backing vocals were plastered on every genre of music like a bad Kenny G song(is there a good one?).
BUT...BUTTTT!! youre right, I must give in and say Elvis on Velvet bumps.. the song makes you want to drive fast..
at least make the Vrrrooom sound for your hotwheels across the fireplace hearth. Smile
...plus the drenched guitar leads do sound badass... its hard to not like anything
Setzer's done (wolfgang , my younger sons fav)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 pm

My wish for 2009: That Brian is able to write a whole record of original music, whatever kind he likes, so long as it's real and has soul and artistry. I'd also like it if it made me want to jump up and dance but that's just me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Something to dance to would be really cool as I'm beginning to take boogie woogie dance lessons this year!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Why not a live DVD/CD with just Brian and a guitar? I dont need more to be happy. Embarassed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peGWkVKLCPU&feature=PlayList&p=F1A673DA84F2F7DC&index=0&playnext=1
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:34 pm

andi wrote:
My wish for 2009: That Brian is able to write a whole record of original music, whatever kind he likes, so long as it's real and has soul and artistry. I'd also like it if it made me want to jump up and dance but that's just me! Very Happy

yah but you like his asschaps pig tongue
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

steb74 wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
btw.. I really really want to know what Setzer's "Elvis on velvet" holds musically.
Well, for one thing, absolute killer guitar playing!

One thing's sure, it's got a strange effect on you!
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
yah but you like his asschaps pig tongue

Who said anything about the chaps?! Twisted Evil

Ahem... can't a girl appreciate an artist for ALL his gifts, not just his musical ones?
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:59 pm

- A new Orchestra album ? Oh yes, in a Jazzy/Bluesy direction...
- A new solo album ? Oh yes, something "open" like Ignition or Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy...
- A 9th Stray Cats (studio) album ? Oh yes, the "real" third album (after Stray Cats & Choo Choo Hot Fish)...
- A big surprise ? A Punk-Polka ? A 2nd Tribute ? Oh yes...
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:44 pm

"Fire Woman" by the Cult.
...my second favourite band..THE CULT!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
"Fire Woman" by the Cult.
...my second favourite band..THE CULT!!!!!!!

rad.. but "Edie (ciao baby)" and "she sells sanctuary" are up there for me w/ Fire woman

Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:41 pm

the Cult? I haven't heard about that band in a long time!
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:03 pm

kelley68 wrote:
the Cult? I haven't heard about that band in a long time!
while we're at it..dont forget Elvis Costello (great country tune)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBh9IgMz5U&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 pm

While we're derailing, I'll kinda sorta bring it back 'round to something I wish The Brian would have tried first. Jim Heath has taken a break from the Reverend Horton Heat to release an album from an entirely different trio project, Revorgandrum. This predominantly instrumental album has many elements from the Guitar Slinger/early BSO era, only in a trio format with guitar, drums (Todd Soesbe), and Hammond organ (Tim Alexander). The left hand and pedals of the organ handle the bass lines. It's a jazz organ trio format, a la Jimmy Smith. But they're not really playing jazz. There's some Mancini, Booker T and the MGs, Hank Marvin, Dean Martin, Ray Charles, Bil Doggett, the James Bond Theme... plenty of good-time space age lounge music, a little funk and rhythm and blues. Here's the tracklisting:

Moovin' and Groovin'
Strollin' With Bones
A Shot In the Dark
Night Train
Honky Tonk (Parts 1 & 2)
James Bond Theme
Bim Bam Baby
Can't Be Still
Experiment in Terror
Mardis Gras Mambo
Theme to Route 66
Hang 'Em High
Black and Crazy Blues
Ain't That a Kick In the Head
C Jam Blues
I Got a Woman
Groovin'
Time Is Tight

All but two of the tracks are instrumentals. Unfortunately, Jim decides to sing on Bim Bam Baby and Ain't That a Kick In the Head. That sneering, whiny tenor voice works well on Horton Heat albums, but it's a little abrasive to my ears here. Thankfully, the rest of the album is instrumental, and fantastic. Tim Alexander lays down some righteous grooves on the organ, and while Jim Heath's guitar work isn't quite as jaw-dropping as The Brian's might be on such an album, it serves the project very well.

If you picture Brian's "When Hepcat Gets the Blues" from "13," you'll get a good idea of what this album sounds like, only a little less jazzy, and a little more rootsy. I really enjoy the keyboard trio format. Admittedly, some of these would sound much better with horns - the James Bond Theme doesn't quite pack the punch without 'em, for example. But I love the rawness of the stripped-down combo. There are no overdubs that I can hear. It's just the three guys, swingin' live in what could be a Holiday Inn lounge near you. (It's not a concert album - by live I mean recorded sans overdubs.)

Anyway, those who are longing for a return to the sound of the first two BSO albums made me think of this album, which takes a more threadbare approach to a similar musical style. I love the Revorgandrum, but I wish Brian would have done this album first (though he has recorded Route 66, Honky Tonk, and the James Bond Theme.) If Brian would be willing to give the keyboard equal time, he could have one smooth album!

A Shot In the Dark-a-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 pm

downloaded that album the second it was avail., I see the Rev everytime he's in town..a seriously underrated guitarist that actually has real unique style and great tone.
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 am

Solo!
Like a new "Chains around your heart". My favorite Setzer tune of all. Second, just any new album will do of course.
But hey Brian, we don't want to push you.
bounce
Rock on!
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 pm

A Stray Cats record for me would be the greatest.
(No covers, no songs sung by Lee, no horns, no keyboards...)
Just Slim Jim, Lee (slappin') and Brian strummin' & croonin' !
Back to top Go down
rockabilly guy

rockabilly guy

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 8:58 pm

A simple wish to re schedule the cancelled Stray Cats UK dates...followed by a new Stray Cats album.Oh yes.Heaven on earth!
But anything from Brian would be great...as long as it's not instrumental classical music!

Steve
whistling off into the distance............And no Jazz either!
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 5:47 am

Rickabilly wrote:
While we're derailing, I'll kinda sorta bring it back 'round to something I wish The Brian would have tried first. Jim Heath has taken a break from the Reverend Horton Heat to release an album from an entirely different trio project, Revorgandrum. This predominantly instrumental album has many elements from the Guitar Slinger/early BSO era, only in a trio format with guitar, drums (Todd Soesbe), and Hammond organ (Tim Alexander). The left hand and pedals of the organ handle the bass lines. It's a jazz organ trio format, a la Jimmy Smith. But they're not really playing jazz. There's some Mancini, Booker T and the MGs, Hank Marvin, Dean Martin, Ray Charles, Bil Doggett, the James Bond Theme... plenty of good-time space age lounge music, a little funk and rhythm and blues.

Very good! I was looking for a birthday present for my dad...I grew up listening to all these folks you listed here...thanks to my pops. As me and my bro got older, we'd walk into the house and hear Henry Mancini or Boots Randolph being blasted on the ol' stereo, and we'd know to turn around and leave right away again. That's what dad would play whenever he was cleaning the house! Enter and we'd be put to work. Shocked

So I'll give this a look-see, and maybe it'll work out!

Take care all,
hrg
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:22 am

[quote="tvthewiredturtle"]Space age bachelor pad requires Jimmy Smith to be played in this house when its cleaning time! Smile thanks for helping me figure out why the kids are afraid of Esquivel. ha! Smile
ps. at the '06 xmas show setzer alluded to wanting an instrumental of spy/surf/space
music.... that gem has been burning in my heart hoping he was serious. instead a different kind of music was created.... very far from mancini.
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:27 am

Space age bachelor pad...hmmm....have you ever heard of the video game called No One Lives Forever? My hubby says it's a pc and ps2 video game. Anyhooo...the second disk that came along with it is a rockin' collection of groovy tunes that make you feel like you stepped right into (or out of) your midcentury mod space capsule. Poor yourself a martini (shaken, not stirred), and sit back and relax (if you can) to the wondrous sounds of this compilation cd.

And thanks to dear old dad...it's my cleaning music of choice. Wink
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
Space age bachelor pad...hmmm....have you ever heard of the video game called No One Lives Forever? My hubby says it's a pc and ps2 video game. Anyhooo...the second disk that came along with it is a rockin' collection of groovy tunes that make you feel like you stepped right into (or out of) your midcentury mod space capsule. Poor yourself a martini (shaken, not stirred), and sit back and relax (if you can) to the wondrous sounds of this compilation cd.

And thanks to dear old dad...it's my cleaning music of choice. Wink

can I pour myself some trader vic's mai tai mix & seagrams instead? Martinis never
felt right. cyclops

thanks for sharing your lil story, made the wife n I smile. I can thank my irish nana for
turning me onto the world of 40s-60s goodies. btw.. youre dad may also enjoy
Ry Cooder's "mambo sinuendo"... some songs are too Buena Vista Social club, as it was
recorded in havana with old cuban dudes but it has some of that dreamy cuban missile crisis era vibe. Smile
Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 473262

GRAB THAT MUSE mr. Brian SEtzer!!!! wow... I'd finally have my cigar and coffee on the patio music I've wanted!! Space Pad meets Big band with a latin flair...pour me
another mai tai, Esquivel might even be the way to go Brian, get that wife of yours singin
all the zoooo zooo zooo vocals and Yma Sumac bird calls!!
Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 5123BGY4D2L._SS500_
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 1:48 am

And what about some live recordings from Brian's birthday ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make a Wish for 2009...   Make a Wish for 2009... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Make a Wish for 2009...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next