Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20

Go down 
+4
Bobby Retro
Daddio
tvthewiredturtle
ruger9
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
elvis

hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 8:54 am

he friends
I love you There is guitaristes which have a MXR DELAY copy carbon? cool pedal for slap back?
the friend Leash le mxr delay During several days...
Have you parametres setzer sound has to say to me for? drunken
tank you
elvis
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 12:38 pm

elvis wrote:
he friends
I love you There is guitaristes which have a MXR DELAY copy carbon? cool pedal for slap back?
the friend Leash le mxr delay During several days...
Have you parametres setzer sound has to say to me for? drunken
tank you
elvis

nikko on this site owns the MXR carbon copy and loves it, I am enamored by it because it
has the modulation on the slapbacks that the old Electroharmonix Deluxe Memory man has
(a sound i love to death ala U2's The Edge) but you can still do the tape warble thing.. as I said
I've yet to toy with one but Nikko owns one.

btw.. are you asking for Setzer's delay settings?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
elvis

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 2:09 am

are you asking for Setzer's delay settings?
yes my friend I love you
I look for examples of reglages slap back rockabilly (stray cats) for a mxr delay, and for one re20 boss space echo
tankyou very
elvis
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:19 pm

SO, I'VE BEEN RE-VISITNG THE SLAPBACK THING LATELY...

Since for now I have decided to rule out a real 301 or TTE, and I've already gone thru the RE-20, I re-read this thread again, with particular interest with regards to the whole "preamp magic" the 301 seems to have.

The RE-20 does have a preamp, but we're really comparing apples to oranges, since the RE-20 is a "model" of the 201 & the 201 does not share the same preamp as the 301 anyway. HOWEVER...

Since TV reccomended the Reptile & the SIB Mr. Echo (both of which have input volumes/preamps), and he uses his TIM for just that purpose, it got me to thinking...

If I already have a relatively cool delay (like my Maxon AD999, or my Echo Park...which I think sounds pretty damned good BTW... or even the mojo-ish Dan Echo with it's crappy buffer)... and I hit it with some kind of boost, like TV is using his TIM before his... DL4 what you using nowadays?... maybe I could achieve a similar result...

I don't have a TIM, but I do have overdrives, altho I don't think an overdrive is the answer (altho the TIM seems to work great). So I'm thinking some kind of basic clean booster to hit the delay AND the preamp tubes hard with... and I had forgotten I use this baby as a buffer on my board:
http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-pb1.htm

The Radial PB-1 buffer & power booster. Up to 15db of discreet Class A boost. I never use the boost on it, I just use it as a buffer (the drag control is tre-cool.) Anyway, I dialed up the gain on the booster to add a little "grease" to everything... just a little... and I think I may really be on to something here...

ALL my delays sound more Setzer-ish when hit with the boost. And it's not the same thing as turning the amp up... it has something to do with the boost coming BEFORE the delay (which is how it was on the RE-20, and I assume how it is on the 201/301?), it hits those preamp tubes not only with a hotter signal, but a hotter DELAYED signal... and I seem to "recognize" some of the "Setzer signature tone" coming out of the combination.

I've been looking at delays forever, considering the Reptile & Skreddy ($$$), as I said I already sold an RE-20, and I had an old Dan-Echo hanging around. I figured "what the hell"... and I think the Tape mode on the Echo Park actually does a great job of tape simulation, better than the RE-20, because it has MODULATION which I think really helps... you need some kind of "wobbly-ness" in those repeats for the grease factor. Anyway, I think I just MIGHT be "done." Seriously. As cool as that Reptile looks, it's $$$, and I'm totally digging my booster into my Echo Park.

I'd love to hear your take on all this TV, if you have the time!
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:03 am

he ruger9
Felicitation for your analysis..
I would like to ask a question; ..
I do not find answer

Pedales boss DM2 has a black label and a green?
scratch
There is a difference between the black and green dm2? Shocked
What is the best? And most expensively?
tank you
elvis
Back to top Go down
ruger9

ruger9

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:21 am

I don't know Elvis. I've never used a Boss DM-2. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 8:06 am

elvis wrote:
he ruger9
Felicitation for your analysis..
I would like to ask a question; ..
I do not find answer

Pedales boss DM2 has a black label and a green?
scratch
There is a difference between the black and green dm2? Shocked
What is the best? And most expensively?
tank you
elvis
Pardonne Moi,
ecoute' sil vous plait geek ...
some boss pedals made through 84' had either Labels
green and black, although green was first, both were japanese.
The DM-2 was sold from June 1981 to February 1984. Its
"said" that the green label Boss pedals are more "rare" as
There are 3 versions of the DM-2, circuits are same except for
delay chip revisions by matsushita. They were trying to decrease
signal noise in the bucket brigade analog chips. earliest
are denoted by a MN3005 chip and later have MN3205.
The DM-3 was the final analog boss delay and had filtering in
the output section of the pedal as had stereo out(one dry one wet)

Over here they fetch $200 to $275 depending on condition.

I've had both the DM-2 and DM-3, I still use a DM-3

you need one man, either that or an Ibanez/maxon AD-9 (maxon AD9XX series are slightly more intuitive and more like the sound of a DM-2)

Bonne Chance mon frere!
tv
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 10:27 am

cheers tank you very mutch for explications tvthewiredturtle
I have to buy next week one d m2 green label that Think the friends of this pedale to approach the sound rockabillys similar to the stray cats?
scratch
elvis
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 10:41 am

elvis wrote:
cheers tank you very mutch for explications tvthewiredturtle
I have to buy next week one d m2 green label that Think the friends of this pedale to approach the sound rockabillys similar to the stray cats?
scratch
elvis

Alor'
autre que setzer' ; les doigts de setzer, son gretsch, et l'amortisseur de la blonde 63 bassman, ceci est sa peu de boîte de slapback de joie ! à la votre

les american c'est tres amusante,non? jocolor
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 12:05 pm

he tvthewiredturtle
: lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
It is so true Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
elvis Smile
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 12:38 pm

BTW... to Dot all my I's n' Cross all my T's regarding this label thing... I have it backwards

The green label was introduced 1984 to indicate compliance with FCC rules and production moved to Taiwan, 1988.

and it makes sense since my DM-3 built in 84 has a green label.

dont forget the Post RE-5XX tape space echos followed the first actual
Pedal, check out the carry over parts:
hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Dm1

also note on all Boss pedals:
ACA Series (green label) or PSA Series (orange label) 89'?
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 4:03 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
BTW... to Dot all my I's n' Cross all my T's regarding this label thing... I have it backwards

The green label was introduced 1984 to indicate compliance with FCC rules and production moved to Taiwan, 1988.

cheers hello tvthewiredturtle"]

Tank you the green label is not still sign of manufacturing has taiwan

Boss DM 2 green label, there has indeed d registers manufacturing Japan on the pedale and on the site boss
http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/dm2.xml
l DM 3 green label Are also made in Japan
http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/dm3.xml
elvis
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 8:42 am

elvis wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:

cheers hello tvthewiredturtle"]

yep, thats what I said earlier Smile

DM-2 were not made in taiwain, and from what I understand tawainese production didnt
take place till after 89

Tank you the green label is not still sign of manufacturing has taiwan

Boss DM 2 green label, there has indeed d registers manufacturing Japan on the pedale and on the site boss
http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/dm2.xml
l DM 3 green label Are also made in Japan
http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/dm3.xml
elvis
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Anybody ever tried a ZOOM 508 Delay?
Back to top Go down
http://www.raveon.fourfour.com
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:22 pm

shaker wrote:
Anybody ever tried a ZOOM 508 Delay?

yes I can embarrassingly say I owned one, what a serious POS. Anytime you
have a digital delay that is constructed from candy wrappers, you can bet that
the analog to digi to analog converters are about the same.

Now this is not to say all zoom stuff is bad as I still own a Zoom Studio processor in
my recording rack for a non pluggin reverb-delay unit

btw... a caveat about plastic pedals.. the ibanez potato bug delay and the Arion SAD-1
analog delay. plenty of econo rockabilly right there!
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 3:05 am

I change my Delay settings a few times during the course of a gig, ie rockabilly slapback of different lengths and depth to long Sleepwalk delays, so I've been thinking about getting a delay pedal with programmable presets and the "T.C. Electronic Nova Delay ND1" caught my eye.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 am

shaker wrote:
I change my Delay settings a few times during the course of a gig, ie rockabilly slapback of different lengths and depth to long Sleepwalk delays, so I've been thinking about getting a delay pedal with programmable presets and the "T.C. Electronic Nova Delay ND1" caught my eye.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers
John

a little more complex than the DL4 and giga delay but if pristine delays with more precise values controls (expanded perimeter ability) are needed (when you want to dial in exact seconds and dotted quarter notes for example) this is a stellar pedal. I've got a friend that is really nuts for the Edge's
sound and he's been trying to make things work with a deluxe memory man and DL4(i just bought the DMM off him) but he's now grabbed up a Nova. TC electronics delays are a
famous sound with guys like the Edge and Gilmour.

For rockabilly the answer is a very simple one, for setzer's sound its more involved and
if you just want one pedal for many applications you will need something with the convenience of tap tempo and presets. The line DL4 is very basic with very good sounds, but its limited. Its a grab and go machine. I just sold off my giga delay because I didnt want to have to be bending over all the time to adjust crap. It was great sounding but I didnt like paging through presets with one pedal stomper and holding it down for 2 seconds,etc. to get what I needed. That is kind of what is involved even with the TC nova.
If you can afford to move up to the Eventide Time Machine, that is THE SH%T in my book. The line 6 DL4 is the poor mans eventide. I got to fool with that a bit at last winter's Namm show and even the delay settings using modulation were awesome.
All three stompswitches also serve as presets just like the DL4.
The Nova is certainly a great box but as much as I like noodling with perimeters, this eventide is both intuitive and versatile (even has usb upgrading). Again its not
"vintage" cool but it is a top studio device for a massive sonic palette.
hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 570341
for balance let me repeat this: I saw a rockabilly trio come out dressed like mexican
elvis's and the guitar player was using a cheap strat, a fender blues deluxe with
only a tuner and a Danelectro Dan echo... he sounded INCREDIBLE. Authentic tone
to the 9's, they were on fire!!. ...but did he go home and need to gear up to play indie rock, nu metal or power pop for other projects. Probably not. Smile
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:44 am

Well I checked out the Nova Delay, it has far to many features for my liking.

Plus the way the Aussie dollar is at the moment they're around $600!! To much money for a delay pedal IMO!

I'm considering buying a couple of cheap stomps and setting different delays on each one.

Meanwhile I've got an old Boss ME30 that I'm using for the delays only, not ideal but does the job pretty well.
Back to top Go down
JC

JC

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:49 pm

Looks like this thread has come full circle!

I've tried out a Line6 Echo Park, a Boss DD3 and a couple of cheapy Behringer pedals. Then I thought what the hell I'll give the Boss RE-20 a try, I gotta say this is the best echo pedal I have tried thus far! (For me anyway)

The shop did me a great deal so I bought it Very Happy

On Mode 10 (heads one and three) it pretty much nails the Sleepwalk sound! Plus I'm using an expression pedal so I can control the amount of echo volume from a little to over the top!
Pushing the input volume adds a nice boost to the overall signal as well.

I guess we have to disagree on this pedal TV, I really like it Surprised Surprised

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
elvis

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 5:50 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
elvis wrote:
he tvthewiredturtle
Hello friend
I looked for Many of pîcs and to look at many of video of the stray cats....I do not see a purple stombox quoted(esteemed) of him, have necks of pics ?
tank you

you need more picts and videos!! mmmwahahahah Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
I'll try to get something posted.. I dont like to say this but I am so familiar with all
ibanez and maxon effects, its just gotta be an AD-9 or AD88.. 2 knobs! I love you
hello tvthewiredturtle
have be of photographs or one they see the equipement (delay) of brian setzer.?; I looked at some videos and I do not see on the concert in the Japan in 1990, brian seems to be to have a pedale of volume
elvis
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 pm

shaker wrote:
Looks like this thread has come full circle!

I've tried out a Line6 Echo Park, a Boss DD3 and a couple of cheapy Behringer pedals. Then I thought what the hell I'll give the Boss RE-20 a try, I gotta say this is the best echo pedal I have tried thus far! (For me anyway)

The shop did me a great deal so I bought it Very Happy

On Mode 10 (heads one and three) it pretty much nails the Sleepwalk sound! Plus I'm using an expression pedal so I can control the amount of echo volume from a little to over the top!
Pushing the input volume adds a nice boost to the overall signal as well.

I guess we have to disagree on this pedal TV, I really like it Surprised Surprised

Cheers
John

awesome man, glad it fills the bill for ya!
dont get me wrong I never said the RE-20 wasnt a cool digital modeling of a RE-201, nor did I say it couldnt replicate (no pun intended) the "tape delay, saturation and sound on sound" vibe of the real deal.
BUT it aint no RE-301 and will not make a gretsch interact with a blonde 63 bassman
the way a 301 does.

The RE-20 is a great piece of gear, so is the line 6 DL4 with its Echoplex EP-1. EP-2, and RE201 space echo settings. Quick and easy with no fuss, both of these stompers are intuitive and
simple..

I'm real glad to hear you found this pedal to make you more creative and productive
as an artist. This is why we all fool around with our gear.. I hope.
If we are just tweakin our knobs and not playing our guitars... we'll all go blind. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20   hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hey TV - and anybody - Boss RE-20
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3