Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please

Go down 
+4
Setzerado
Le Hub'
Kelley
RadiationSteve
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Empty
PostSubject: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:38 am

As it's fun and games day today Very Happy I thought i'd throw in an opposite to Choo Choo's cool thread about 'Special Comps'.
This time you have to pick just one song off each of Brian's albums that you like the best! I know some albums will have 3 or 4 favourites and others maybe none.....but you have to choose just one from each album.
Now this is hard! You miss out a lot of favourites because they may be on the same record, but i thought we could always do another disc with your second fav on etc...and a third... lol!

Stray 1 - 'Stray Cat Strut'
Gonna Ball - 'Baby blue eyes'
Rant and Rave - 'How long you wanna live anyway'
Rock Therapy - 'Race with the Devil'
Knife feels like Justice' - Knife feels like Justice'
Live nude Guitars - 'When the sky comes tumbling down'
Blast Off - 'Bring it back again'
Choo Choo Hot Fish - 'lust n love'
Let's Go Faster - 'Gonna be your Rock'
Original Cool - 'Twenty flight Rock'
BSO - 'Good rockin' Daddy' (but i prefer the live version)
Guitar Slinger - 'House is Rockin'
Dirty Boogie - 'Sleepwalk'
Vavoom! - 'Drive like lightnin', crash like thunder'
Ignition - 'Who would love this car but me'
Nitro - 'That someone just ain't you'
Riot - 'Wild child'
Wolfgang - 'Take a break guys'

If you don't like any tracks on one album you still have to pick just one....
after all that's the game, and there's not a perfect album for everyone!
So by choosing 'Strut' i had to miss out on Rock this town and Runaway boys etc.
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:42 am

Ok, i always forget the christmas albums.....

Boogie Woogie Christmas - 'Santa claus is back in town'
Dig that crazy christmas - 'Favourite Things'
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 am

thank you steve

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:47 am

Heya, I think this one is easier ;-)

Here goes my selection:
Stray 1: my one desire
Gonna Ball: baby blue eyes
Rant N Rave: I won't stand in your way
Rock Therapy: reckless
Blast off: bring it back again
Let's go faster: don't drag me down
Choo choo hot fish: dammit, i'm in a quandary... either lust n love or please don't touch
Original Cool: something else

The Knife... : Three Guys
Live Nude Guitars: Rebelene
Ignition: 59
Nitro: Don't trust a woman
RRiot: either Red Hot or Lonely Weekendws
13: Back Streets of Tokyo

BSO 1: ball & chain
Guitar Slinger: the man with the magic touch
Dirty Boogie: Since I Don't have You
Vavoom: PA 6-5000
Best Of The Big Band: El Diablo
BWXmas: BW Santa Claus
Dig That Crazy Xmas: My fav things
Wolfgang's: Take a Break
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 7:51 am

Steve, so glad you are back cheers

- FISHNET STOCKINGS
- LITTLE MISS PRISSY
- HOW LONG YOU WANNA LIVE, ANYWAY ?
- RADIATION RANCH Wink
- ONE HAND LOOSE
- ROSIE IN THE MIDDLE
- BLAST OFF !
- SHOTGUN BABY
- MYSTERY TRAIN
- TWENTY FLIGHT ROCK
- ROUTE 66
- HOODOO VOODOO DOLL
- SWITCHBLADE 327
- DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING (CRASH LIKE THUNDER)
- HELL BENT
- SO THEY IT'S CHRISTMAS
- DRINK WHISKEY & SHUT UP
- LONELY WOLF
- MY FAVORITE THINGS
- REALLY ROCKABILLY
- FOR LISA

Wow, what a record that could makes !! Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 am

Wow, Steve... !

RUMBLE IN BRIGHTON
CRAZY MIXED UP KID
SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH MY RADIO
THREE GUYS
BEAUTIFUL DELILAH
EVERY TEAR THAT FALLS
GENE AND EDDIE
LET'S GO FASTER
MYSTERY TRAIN
HIDDEN CHARMS
STRAIGHT UP
HOODOO VOODOO DOLL
AS LONG AS I'M SINGIN'
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
IGNITION
BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE
SMOKIN' N' BURNIN'
LONELY WOLF
WHITE CHRISTMAS
DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME
SABRE DANCE
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:32 am

Hey Setzerado, hope you're doing ok!
Are you sure that 'Hidden Charms' is your favourite song off 'Original Cool'?
I would have thought you would have choosen a longer favourite than 24 seconds! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:03 am

It's pretty interesting that Drive Like Lightning... would show up on a couple of lists. I love this song, and it's one of my boys' favorites. "Hey mom, can we hear that lightning and you know, crash like thunder song again? And this time, turn the radio up!"

Between that and "Wild Wind" my boys are happy campers.

Working on my list,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 11:46 am

RadiationSteve wrote:
Hey Setzerado, hope you're doing ok!
Are you sure that 'Hidden Charms' is your favourite song off 'Original Cool'?
I would have thought you would have choosen a longer favourite than 24 seconds! Very Happy

Yes I'm sure. OK it's short but, the sound, the way they cover the track suits me really fine. I have to say to be honest that Original Cool is not the Cats record that I prefer. The choice is rapid...
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Even if it's really short (20 seconds !) I like it too. It's probably on the top 5 (OF THIS ALBUM) after Twenty Flight Rock, Be-Bop-A-Lula, Flying Saucer R N' R and Let It Rock.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 pm

This is just as tough. I'm sure if I did this next week, some songs may change. Here's the list:

Stray Cats self titled - Runaway Boys
Gonna Ball - Little Miss Prissy
Rant n' Rave – How Long You Wanna Live, Anyway?
The Knife Feels Like Justice – Radiation Ranch
Rock Therapy - I'm a Rocker
Live Nude Guitars - Love Is Repaid by Love Alone
Blast off - Rockin' All Over the Place
Lets Go Faster - Keep on Running
Choo Choo Hotfish - Lust in Love
Original Cool – Haven’t heard the CD.
The Brian Setzer Orchestra – Brand New Cadillac
Guitar Slinger – Buzz Buzz
The Dirty Boogie – Switchblade 327
Vavoom! – Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder)
Ignition! – Who Would Love This Car but Me?
Boogie Woogie Christmas – Run Rudolph Run
Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy – St. Jude very emotive for me(surprised myself, thought it was going to be Sixty Years).
Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1 – Peroxide Blonde in a Hopped Up Model Ford
Dig That Crazy Christmas – Hey Santa!
13 – Rocket Cathedrals
Wolfgang's Big Night Out – Sabre Dance

My brain hurts, which means I got one scratch

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 3:13 am

Quote :
Boogie Woogie Christmas – Run Rudolph Run

Ah! My favourite Christmas song too! I didn't put it down because it's not on my version of 'Boogie Woogie'.

I understand Setzerado my friend, no problems. It is a nice little ditty.

Quote :
It's pretty interesting that Drive Like Lightning... would show up on a couple of lists. I love this song, and it's one of my boys' favorites. "Hey mom, can we hear that lightning and you know, crash like thunder song again? And this time, turn the radio up!"

Yes it's kind of the BSO's version of 'Radiation Ranch' (well almost same tune).
I actually prefer it to RR these days. I think it's the best track on Vavoom! and would have made an excellent video instead of 'Gettin' in the Mood'. Drive like lightnin' is definately one to play as you speed down the highway!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 am

Lightning is more elaborated than Radiation, probably because of the 15 years more AND the Orchestra !
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:03 am

Stray 1 - Rock This Town - As iconic as "Hound Dog" or "I Want to Hold Your Hand." One for the ages

Gonna Ball - Little Miss Prissy - I had forgotten how great that song was until Tommy used it as the flash intro on the website a while back.

Rant-n-Rave - How Long You Wanna Live Anyway? - Tough choice. Very strong album. Real, real close between this and I Won't Stand In Your Way. (Notice I skipped the Built For Speed album, even though I had it year before Stray 1 and Gonna Ball entered my collection. Maybe that's why Storm the Embassy holds less appeal for me. By the time I heard it, the Iran hostage thing was several years in the past, and it seemed quite dated. I probably would have loved it had I heard in 1980.)

Knife Feels Like Justice - Barbwire Fence - I'm not a huge fan of this album, so my favorite could be this, Knife, or Radiation Ranch at any point. I love the guitar interplay on this one - it reminds me of the dueling guitars of Brian and Tommy Byrnes on the 1984 Stray Cats tour.

Rock Therapy - Rock Therapy - That's today. Tomorrow it could be One Hand Loose or Beautiful Delilah. I'm a Rocker should get consideration for the swagger of the "Give me a standing audition" line at the end of the song.

Live Nude Guitars - Rockability - Diggin' the lyrics on this one. Love the drums as well. Edges out the mighty fine Rosie In the Middle. Wouldn't it be great if Brian convinced Stray Cats to play Rockability at the 50th Birthday show? Slim Jim would beat those drums like they owed him money!

Blast Off - Gina - Such a unique song in the Setzer catalogue. I love the melody and Slim Jim's Peggy Sue lick.

Let's Go Faster - Gonna Be Your Rock - Kind of a guilty pleasure, especially since I heard the demo version with the "Heart of Glass" drum machine intro. Hard choice on an underrated album - I also like Keep On Running and Cross of Love (prefer the original Setzer solo B-side though.

Choo Choo Hot Fish - Please Don't Touch - Without question, the most difficult album from which to cull a favorite. I am torn between this and about 5 other songs. Before I heard the 68 Comeback Special's version of Mystery Train, I might have selected it. Beautiful Blues, Cry Baby, My Heart Is a Liar, Sleep Walk, Lust-n-Love all could have been at the top. Shoot, I love Dave Edmunds - it's now officially a tie. We'll call it "Cry Baby My Heart Is a Liar So Please Don't Touch My Beautiful Blues Because When I Sleep Walk I'm Stranded On the Corner of Lust-n-Love"

Original Cool - Lonesome Tears - Even better than Buddy Holly's version.

Brian Setzer Orchestra - Brand New Cadillac - There's a lot of really good songs on the album. But it's consistent to the point where there's no real standout tune for me. Brand New Cadillac, with its nod to Peter Gunn, gives it a nudge to the top. I know it's impractical to tour with a piano, but I really dig the BSO with keyboards.

Guitar Slinger - Every Time I Hear That Mellow Saxophone - Bernie Freakin' Dresel!

Dirty Boogie - Switchblade 327 - really close for me between this one and As Long As I'm Singin' - I'm a huge Bobby Darin fan because of Brian. I had two Darin CDs when I bought the 1st BSO CD. I now have over 40 CDs, including the first-ever CD edition of For Teenagers Only, which arrived today just as I was typing this. Will this twist of fate change my vote? Not today. It's still Switchblade 327 - the crossover from lounge to rockabilly big band is complete.

Vavoom! - Depends on my mood, but today, Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder) gets the vote.

Ignition! - Favorite album - all strong tracks - 8-Track is still my favorite.

Boogie Woogie Christmas - I love it when Brian gets all bluesy - Boogie Woogie Santa Claus, by a whisker over Santa Claus Is Back in Town. Incredible sax solo gives BWS the edge, as SCIBIT is handicapped by following Elvis Presley's version.

Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy - That Someone Just Ain't You - Brian's soulful vocal gives this a slight edge over When the Bells Don't Chime. I'm a sucker for vocal harmony.

Rockabilly Riot, Volume One - Put Your Cat Clothes On - This one should adorn any Setzer career retrospective. Bernie's subtleties in capturing the quirks of the original drum patterns, Kevin McKendree's pumping piano, Brian's enthusiasm and Mark Winchester's driving bass make this THE tune for me on Riot. My love for all things Carl Perkins help shape my opinion, but even if I'd never heard the song before, I would still say it's the standout track.

Dig That Crazy Christmas - Hey Santa! - I didn't really like this tune when I first heard the album, but I like the Dixieland breakdown in the middle of the song and despite all the "Hey Santas" the punch of the horns, and the overall high energy have changed my opinion. Angels We Have Heard On High is another one that has grown on me over time. It's hard to bring anything new to a Christmas album. These two songs definitely accomplished that.

13 - Everybody's Up to Something - I like the groove of the song. It runs neck-and-neck with Don't Say You Love Me as two of my favorites on the album. I really enjoy 13, and find it would be hard to listen to any tune without wanting to listen to the entire album. Even Bad, Bad, Girl. Even the Hennepin Avenue Bridge Song.

Wolfgang's Big Night Out - For Lisa - There's nothing quite like it in the Setzer catalogue - not even Jumpin' at the Capitol. Another essential for any Setzer compilation.

I can't wait to put this playlist together.

Rockability-billy
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:40 am

Stray 1 - Crawl Up and Die

Gonna Ball - Baby Blue Eyes/Wasn't That Good. Don't make me choose.

Rant and Rave - Rebels Rule. Gotta get me the unbleeped version.

Built For Speed - Built For Speed

Rock Therapy - Rock Therapy

(I don't know Knife very well - I need to spend some time with it)

Live Nude Guitars - Rosie in the Middle/Rebelene. Depends on my mood.

Blast Off - Nine Lives

Choo Choo Hot Fish - Lust N Love/Beautiful Blues. I'll avoid making it a 3 way tie with Cry Baby.

Let's Go Faster - Tight Black Leather

Original Cool - I like every song on it but I rarely listen to it. Will have to do so to figure out which one stands above the rest.

BSO - This one is really tough, this record is so important to me. Right now I'll just say Good Rockin' Daddy. But that wouldn't be fair to Lady Luck, Sittin' On It All The Time, September Skies, Brand New Cadillac, Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder and Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square. Sigh.

Guitar Slinger - Sammy Davis City. And House Is Rockin', Hoodoo Voodoo Doll, Johnny Kool, Mellow Sax, My Baby Only Cares For Me. Gah. This is getting silly.

Dirty Boogie - Dirty Boogie, Let's Live It Up, Jump Jive an' Wail, As Long As I'm Singin'.

Vavoom! - If You Can't Rock me, I think. I don't currently own it so can't say for certain.

Ignition - Dreamsville. Hands down. Though I am also very partial to Ignition, Santa Rosa Rita, Rooster Rock and Blue Cafe. And Hell Bent.

Riot - Too freakin' hard, they're all stellar. But I've always loved all versions of Red Hot, so I'll go with that.

13 - Really Rockabilly. Shut up, I love the attitude.

Wolfgang - Not sure, don't own it and haven't heard it all yet, but I really like One More Night With You.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am

I have to change my vote on Gonna Ball to Baby Blue Eyes - I actually didn't look at the tracks on that one, I just saw Rene's list and said "Yeah! Little Miss Prissy!" But Baby Blue Eyes definitely edges that one out.

I should probably look at the tracks, though, because now I'm just copying off Andi's paper!

Dunce-a-billy
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Little Miss Prissy - I had forgotten how great that song was until Tommy used it as the flash intro on the website a while back.

Rockability-billy

That was the best flash intro EVER!!!!!

Rickabilly wrote:
I have to change my vote on Gonna Ball to Baby Blue Eyes - I actually didn't look at the tracks on that one, I just saw Rene's list and said "Yeah! Little Miss Prissy!" But Baby Blue Eyes definitely edges that one out.

I should probably look at the tracks, though, because now I'm just copying off Andi's paper!

Dunce-a-billy

Go stand in the corner young man. But I was definitely right, Little Miss Prissy, don't bother arguing, it's just not worth it Laughing

René-a-pony
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please   The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The second 'special' comp - 1 track only from each please
Page 1 of 1