Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)

Go down 
+3
Rickabilly
gretschoholic
RadiationSteve
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Empty
PostSubject: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:12 am

I can't agree with half of these.....

Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:37 am

We've discussed Rolling Stone Magazine's "world's greatest guitarists" list before, and most of us were kinda disappointed that they "forgot" Brian Setzer. I'm not a permanent reader of RS, but I certainly don't trust them as experts on "the best/greatest" anything... Rolling Eyes

That said, I've got to admit this one is a bit closer to the truth as far as I'm concerned. It depends on what one puts into the phrase "greatest of all time", I guess... As for instantly recognizable voices, they've managed to come pretty close IMO (although John Fogerty and Johnny Cash should've been there too...), but if they're after technical vocal skills they should've at least removed Mr Zimmerman Wink

Anders
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 am

There are a lot of reasons Bob Dylan is an important artist in the history of rock music. His singing "ability" is not among them. The list actually had 100 singers named - their panel included more than 120 people, each asked to give their Top 20, which was then compiled into a Top 100.

Some of the names on the selection panel include Ian Astbury of The Cult, Steve Earle, David Crosby, Geddy Lee, Ronnie James Dio, Sam Moore, Ray Manzarek, Roger McGuinn, Brian Wilson, Robert Plant, and over 100 additional artists, journalists, record execs, etc.

My guess is they made the list about their musical heroes as much as they did their gifts as a singer.

How does it feeeeeeel-a-billy
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am

It was better when the rollingstone covers look like this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/straycats/photos/collection/photo/1
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:29 pm

The Cult were always one of my favourite bands, I have all thier albums. BUT Ian Astbury shouldnt be in a top 1,000 great singers not to mind top 100. As everyone knows my opinions are highly sought after by world leaders both political and religious. The movers and shakers of this globular entity have come to rely on my council for many important desisions. Rolling Stone though ,are a law unto themselves. Nah , they think they can create a top 100 list with out my say so. Why ,if we had the A-Bomb here in this country, I dare say ,they'd be looking for thier cubicle right about now.
I will now offer my wisdom on the matter. I will steer clear of the rockabilly genre in order that nobody accuses me of bias. I am a litigious S.O.B. and wish to provoke no one into years and years of court appearances.

1. John Lennon
2. Eddie Vedder
3. John Fogerty
4. Kurt Cobain ( check out the song "Anuerysm")
5. Brian Johnson (Back n Black era)
6. John Lee Hooker
7. Chris Cornell ( though I dont really like all his music)
8. Elvis Presley
9, Patsy Cline (Pure Heaven)
10. This is taking too much of my time. I could be whealing and dealing with the Dali Lamas cute secretary or chasing butterflys instead.
Ciao my kittens and cats

Last edited by Vincent Blackshadow on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Ian Astbury wasn't considered a singer on the list - those folks I listed were people who had a VOTE in who would ultimately end up on the list. Some, like Robert Plant and Brian Wilson, were nominated by their peers, but others, like Ray Manzarek of the Doors, were only voters and were never under consideration for this list.

Just so you're less confused with the voting panel vs. the actual list: Ringo Starr - voter, Paul McCartney - list

Remember to ask the Dalai Lama for his list when you see him...

Grasshopper-billy
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Reading the original post and then adding suitable comment is not my speciality.. Something catchs my eye and I just shoot,both barrels blazing and to hell with the consequences.
Once again Mr. Rillabicky, you have outed a major flaw in my character and I beg forgiveness bowing prostrate to your more advanced literary prowess. In future I will take the time to read the original post.

Last edited by Vincent Blackshadow on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm

No need for apologies, my good man. Or flattery. Or pottery. And I'll thank you to leave my prostate out of it. My physician gave me a clean bill of health, though I still think that sort of behavior warranted a dinner invitation.

He did suggest I emphasize a diet heavy in anti-oxidants, though. So I'm stocking up on strawberries, blueberrys, and e'en Astburys to remain "in the pink."

Beyond Good and Evil-billy
Back to top Go down
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Quote :
7. Chris Cornell ( though I dont really like all his music)

I think this is right, and brave. Let me explain:
I'm talking about the 'i don't really like all his music' bit.
There are artists who aren't my favourites, but i would have to at least consider them as top 20 of altime singers.
Frank Sinatra is definately one.
One of the 'Three Tenors' would be another. Hey it doesn't say 'pop' music singer!
I certainly feel that 'Bobby Darin' should be in the top 20!
Maybe even 'Tom Jones' - although he's not my cup of tea, i admirer his voice (and that's what this List should be about - vocal range and diversity)
So when i say it's right, i mean the panel shouldn't just be listing or voting for their favourites.....they should be considering all types of music, and artists that are vocally strong even if they don't personally like them.

How about that guy from The Platters'? What a voice! I've loved that group since 1977......I don't like Queen so Freddie Mercury (a bad pub singer to me) wouldn't be on that list. I've heard a few of their good songs (Queen's) done by female singers and they song pretty good! So the songs aren't bad, just his voice.
John Lennon is a great songwriter....(now i'm in trouble!).....but i wouldn't say he was an exceptional singer. Great harmonies with Paul. Very important group (the Beatles i believe!). I suppose this comes down to taste, but it shouldn't. It should be about who's the best 20 singers.
There are a load of unique sounding artists who don't make my heart pump, but maybe should be on that list. Not because they are great songwriters or guitar players, but because of their voices.
I'm not a Fan of Shirley Bassey......but she's got an outstanding vocal.
Most will know i'd put Elvis at the top of the list. I could write a book full of why.
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Yes ,Elvis should be at the top really but I was just ranting . Another absolutly stunning singer with a voice of silk is (cant think of his name right now) the Italian opera type guy, he's blind since birth I believe.,some one will know who I'm talking about. His voice is so unbelievably beautiful. I dont like much of that kinda music but this guys voice is Honey.
No, John Lennon was not a great singer but he had what I consider a perfect voice for what he did. I much prefer the Stones in thier heyday but Mr Jagger wasnt no singer.
My wife loves Freddy Mercury , I do too but not all thier songs.
Stevie Nicks had IT too one time but lost it along time ago.
Bob Marley wasnt a great singer but I think if it was obligatory to listen to him for a half hour every morning ,then there would be alot less grumpy people and war in the world.
I just came back from a few days visiting part of the World war 1 battle grounds and a bit of Marley might have calmed those guys down. Some tragic places we visited.
Technicaly good singers aint always the best, some really bad singers can just deliver the songs like no other ie. Bob Dylan and Hank Williams
I gotta go to work Ciao
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 2:14 am

Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
Another absolutly stunning singer with a voice of silk is (cant think of his name right now) the Italian opera type guy, he's blind since birth I believe.,some one will know who I'm talking about. His voice is so unbelievably beautiful. I dont like much of that kinda music but this guys voice is Honey.

Andrea Bocelli...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/builtforspeedband
frenchlmp

frenchlmp

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:24 am

gretschoholic wrote:
Vincent Blackshadow wrote:
Another absolutly stunning singer with a voice of silk is (cant think of his name right now) the Italian opera type guy, he's blind since birth I believe.,some one will know who I'm talking about. His voice is so unbelievably beautiful. I dont like much of that kinda music but this guys voice is Honey.

Andrea Bocelli...?

Adriano Celentano?
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 am

Andrea Bocelli is the guy I was referring to. Beautiful voice.
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 am

Billie Holiday & Ray Charles - can't get any better.
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 am

With all due respect to Andrea Bocelli, Luciano Pavarotti, Bing Crosby, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, etc ., they really aren't artists that fit Rolling Stone's demographic. If you simply opened the list up to the best technical singers, you'd have a slew of opera stars at the top.

This list focuses on the singers that impacted the artists on the judging panel, and like all lists, is highly subjective. I enjoyed the article for the essays some of the folks have written in tribute to the occupants of the poll.

Love Billie Holiday, by the way. I can't see her on the RS list, but she adorns any essential jazz vocalist list near the top.

I find it curious that the Everly Brothers have the disctinction of being the only duet on the list. Even groups known for their vocal skills like the Beach Boys single out Brian Wilson. The list is all well and good, but I'd rather listen to the music. Gonna go do that now.

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

Casey Kasem-billy
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:32 pm

That avatar pic is just too scary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)   The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 20 Greatest Singers of All Time ("ROLLING STONE" Magazine, 2008)
Page 1 of 1