Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.

Go down 
+4
nietsk
Andi
Aussie_Sam
pony65k
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pony65k

pony65k

Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Empty
PostSubject: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Wow Wow Wow!!!!

Crab a coffee guys and gals, this one's gonna be a long story.

I still can't believe this all happened. I'm so filled with emotion still that writing this makes me well up in the eyes. It was quite a long week leading up to the show. My wife Anura or "Anu" for short (sorry Pete, Andi & Sam, no "R" in the shortened version Wink ) gave me the little push I needed to take her to see her new favourite band again. Hey, what you gonna do?? I had to listen Laughing

Pete picked us up bright and early and off to the airport we went. My greatest disappointment and I do mean "greatest" was having to say goodbye to Pickin' Tania. Anu and I wanted her to come with us sooo bad as she's the most incredible lady you could meet, well besides Anu and my Mum of course Laughing Sitting in the plane waiting, waiting, waiting!!! Great way to start, a 45 minute delay for the flight. We finally got underway, the time was around 8:15 in the morning and what happens? Pete cracks his first beer!!! There's no way I could do that! Pete then changed from Pickin' Pete to Philosopher Pete and opened up my mind to his wisdom, but I still didn't have a beer. We go to Melbourne with no more delays and dropped our bags off at the hotel. Waiting at the hotel was a present I had delivered to the hotel that I wanted to give to the Cats, more on that later Wink We then headed off to a suburb in Melbourne called Brunswick where we had a monster of a Breakfast that literally lasted me the complete day!! We visited a guitar shop on the same street and found the most amazing thing. a 62-64 Fender Blonde Bassman in what I would only describe as in new condition. So Pete and I drooled over that while Anu patiently sat on a chair and watched these two grown men acting like kids in a candy store. We dragged ourselves out of the shop and made our way back to the hotel.

Anu and I went and did a spot of shopping at a factory outlet complex not too far from the hotel, while Pete went off and did his own thing. Anu and I came back to the hotel and relaxed. I did a spot of reading while Anu had a catnap. Pete came back with a guest.......Andi!!! The funny thing is, you see what people look like and read their posts, but you don't get a feel for what the person is like. When we met Andi, it was like seeing a friend you haven't caught up with for awhile. Their were plenty of hugs and at that moment you knew this was going to be a special night spent with special people. Pete and Andi took off to go meet Aussie Sam while we stayed behind as Anu was stilling trying to recuperate from the early start to the day. We finally took off to meet the Aussie Crew at a local drinking spot that was directly opposite from where the Cat's were playing. We walked up to the place where the Pete, Andi and Sam were sitting, as we got closer and were recognised, everyone had a huge smile on their faces. Magic was in the air! Wow, Sam, this guy is really cool!!! Anu and I have never felt this comfortable with people we had never met. Everything was feeling right. After a few drinks and photo's we headed over the road and joined the line around three hours before the concert. That my friends was a really long three hours!!! We got to meet Sam's better half (if that's possible) Caroline and his brother, both very lovely people. Poor Andi was starting to freak out as she still hadn't got her ticket and we were about ten minutes away from the doors opening and the show had officially sold out. Five minutes to go Andi wandered off again to the box office. A triumphant Andi returned with the biggest smile, she had her prize held tightly within her grasp and we were set to go.

The door opens and in we head. All of a sudden I stop, turn around to find Anu at the door talking with security. She got asked for ID. Sam reckons she totally froze and was visibly appalled!! We all finally made it into the venue and parked ourselves right in front of where Lee Rocker stands. A perfect view all round. Pete had trouble with some girl who was trying to weasel her way to the front. If you haven't read the story at the Adelaide show, Pete was very reluctant to let his Wife Pickin' Tania in front of him, so this chick was going nowhere!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Show Time!!!!!!

The curtain raised and the place went nuts!!!!! The Cat's launched into Rumble in Brighton and it was go!!! The energy from these guys was amazing, you'd think it was the first night of the tour, not the last. The next 1.5 hours was unrelenting, we were bombarded with power, energy and three guys who just absolutely love what they do. It's still indescribable, even after seeing them play in Adelaide. Here we were a bunch of instant friends sharing the most incredible night together, screaming ourselves hoarse and bouncing up and down like a basketball that Michael Jordan is running up the court with. I got slightly involved in a screaming competition with Andi. Andi played the game just enough too keep me interested and then just unleashed a scream that almost blew the glasses off my face. I thought if I tried to better that, my throat would hit Lee's bass, so I instantly conceded and said, "you win". The show kept on going and the Cat's energy just went up another gear. These guys had the crowd in the palm of their hands. The place was alive and pumping 'til the end. Pete, Andi and Sam all got a handshake/high five from Brian, unfortunately I couldn't reach, missed it by that much. Man, we were spent, but on such a high. We had just been given the greatest gift a band could give, but that was just the start.

We got out of the auditorium and hung around the side entrance where the Cat's were going to exit. We found out the Cat's weren't coming out for about an hour, so we headed off to the Hotel they stayed at last time to do some reconnaissance. We were told they had cancelled their booking and weren't staying there. Unfortunately, Sam, Caroline and Sam's brother (sorry Sam, I forgot his name too) had to go and get Sam and Caroline's kids from the sitter. It was time to say goodbye. Thinking back, I was happy Sam and Caroline got to spend time with Brian and Julie, but after meeting them both, that happiness has increased tenfold. These people are really special people and I'm glad I got to share their stories and this experience with them (thanks Sam Very Happy). Pete, Andi, Anu and I headed back to the Cat's exit when we saw a lot of commotion. We got back just in time to see Lee and Slim get into one of the cars. I looked at the door and there was Brian, looking so fresh, you wouldn't have thought he'd played at all. I had my gift in my hand ready to present to Brian. I held it up and the Tour manager said I'll take that and it was gone. I looked at him with what I would think was disappointment on my face, or maybe shock. He said I take all the gifts, then he looked at it and said, "I know what this, very clever" and gave me a smile. I assumed that meant Brian was going to be given the gift, so I again focussed on Brian. Andi was on my left, all of a sudden Brian sees her and says, "Andi" and gives her a huge smile and hug. I happened to see Andi's face when Brian called out her name. It was priceless, like she was saying you know my name. So Brian was talking to Andi, standing very close to her and I was there watching it all happen getting the occasion look from Brian as he was speaking, he was sharing this conversation with everyone. At that point I had decided I was satisfied, I didn't need a photo with Brian, or even have him speak to me, my night was perfect. After Brian was done with Andi, there was Pete. Brian says, "Hey I know you, you're Pickin' Pete". I couldn't see Pete's face, but I could imagine it. I think Pete would have gone into shock, but I could hear him talking with Brian, so I knew he got over the initial shock quickly. Pete, you deserve it man, you are a champion bloke and as you agreed when I told you, you are a legend; I'm privileged to have shared this with you.

I could see the Tour manager moving towards Brian. Then he says, "Brian, this guy over here got you some cigars and read the message on the bag". Brian has a read turns in my direction and walks over and starts talking to me. He thanks me offers me his hand and tells me that he's started smoking again (hopefully not my fault!!!) and general chit chat, always making eye contact, smiling and showing genuine interest in whatever the hell it was that I was saying. I still can't believe this; it's like a dream. I brought my LP of Stray Cat's to maybe get it signed, but I wasn't going to ask or even ask for a photo, I couldn't ask Brian for anything more. Anu was standing next to me while this was all happening. That's where I was going to leave it until..... Anu takes the LP out of the bag and say," excuse me Brian I've never done this before but could you please sign this?" He says, "of course sweetheart" and happily signs the LP cover for her. Then... Anu offers her hand to Brian and thanks him for his brilliant music. He looked at her with her outstretched hand for what seemed like an eternity and then says, "Awww, thanks sweetheart, come here" and gives her a hug and a kiss!!!!!! We collected ourselves and then moved away to let Brian say hi to other people, well I had to drag Anu away, she was in shock and awe.

What happened next was really interesting. We stood on a bus stop bench to watch from above what was happening in the crowd (which was about 30 to 40 people). The whole time Brian was polite, patient and genuinely interested in the people he was talking to. One guy gave him a ukulele to sign, Brain asked if it's candy apple red and then starts playing it. We watched Brian for about twenty minutes interacting with the crowd. I always have had respect for the man and his playing ability. This was a side to him I've obviously never seen. The man is a true gentleman, treated everybody with respect, and always made eye contact. He never said No to anybody, but more than that, he enthusiastically said Yes to everyone. It took him about 45 minutes to move less than ten feet to his waiting car.

If you ever read this Brian, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You gave us an incredible show, and then you gave yourself to us. You didn't have to, you wanted to. I can't express what your music has meant to me over the years. It's an incredible gift you've given us and a gift I will willingly pass on to my children (when it happens). You're a true gentleman, good luck to you in all your endeavours in the future. I hope we showed promoters here that Australia loves Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker and Slim Jim Phantom. Don’t be a stranger Wink

To Lee and Slim Jim. I didn't get to meet you, but thank you for all the music and memories you've given to me. I hope we meet one day so I can thank you in person. Also, make sure you get a cigar off of Brian, there was one each for all three of you.

To Andi, Sam, Caroline, thank you for sharing the most incredible experience with Anu and I. This is something that we shared that will last forever, no matter where life takes us. I wish we all lived in the same area so we could catch up more often, but I'm certain we will see each other again and create some new memories. I'm proud and honoured to call you all friends.

To Pete, man where do I start? I've known you less than a year, but you've made a profound impact on my life. You and Tania are two of the most incredible people. To see you together and witness the deep love you have for each other is a privilege. You two have the most incredible family. I pray that Anu and I are as lucky. You're friendship is incredibly special and I know without you there, this experience would not have been as memorable as it was, thank you Pete.

To my beautiful wife Anu. I've told a lot of people how incredibly lucky I am to have you as my life partner and best friend, today I tell the whole world, I love you and thank you for making all my dreams come true.

Finally to everyone here, thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed my ramble. I really enjoy the company and people here, this is a community in the truest form, all joined together by our common love for all things Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker and Sim Jim Phantom. You guys are the rockinest guys in the galaxy!!!

René (pony65k)

Oh yeah, remember that 62-64 Fender Bassman I mentioned I saw at the guitar shop earlier? It gets delivered at the end of the week Very Happy bounce

Last edited by pony65k on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
Aussie_Sam

Aussie_Sam

Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Bloody beautiful Rene, loved reading it. Your a champion guy, Caroline is spewing she couldn't spend more time with all you guys, there will be a next time.

Sam.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Aussie_Sam wrote:
Bloody beautiful Rene, loved reading it. Your a champion guy, Caroline is spewing she couldn't spend more time with all you guys, there will be a next time.

Sam.

Thanks Sam, it was a sincere pleasure spending the time together. There will be and I'm looking forward to it. It'll be great sitting around a barbie, beer or JD in hand having a laugh.

You take care,

René

PS - should we call you Aussie Sam the Meat Man???
Back to top Go down
Aussie_Sam

Aussie_Sam

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Lol, Aussie_Sam The Meat Man will do...lol, kiddin.
Sam...
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:39 pm

You know what's funny, with all of us there for the same event, we all experienced essentially the same things - but we'll remember different different versions depending on where we were standing, what was said when, and how we were feeling - which means that between all of us we can tell the WHOLE story. I'll collect my thoughts and post them too in just a bit.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm

andi wrote:
You know what's funny, with all of us there for the same event, we all experienced essentially the same things - but we'll remember different different versions depending on where we were standing, what was said when, and how we were feeling - which means that between all of us we can tell the WHOLE story. I'll collect my thoughts and post them too in just a bit.

I definitely look forward to reading it. Love to get a different perspective Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nietsk

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 8:10 pm

great story. Thank you for sharing it!!
Back to top Go down
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:00 am

sounds like Anu is fast becoming a fan of Brian, Rene

Last edited by Kelley on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 am

Aussie_Sam wrote:
Sam...

Pete the Piss Pot......

Rene the man with the Small Bladder......

Andi the American..

Anu the Instigator........Hey, you have her to thank for the trip AND amp!!!
Back to top Go down
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories guys... brightened an otherwise pretty unhappy day for me so far. I'm hoping that someday i'll be able to thank brian and the cats, as well for all the great music, etc. Smile

cat
Cori
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:10 pm

kelleyM wrote:
sounds like Anu is fast becoming a fan of Brian, Rene
thank you for sharing your story!

She's already there Kelley. It was a real short trip.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
Aussie_Sam wrote:
Sam...

Rene the man with the Small Bladder......

Anu the Instigator........Hey, you have her to thank for the trip AND amp!!!

Great work Pete, tell the whole world why don't you Laughing Mate I can honestly say Anu has given me the most special life and that has nothing to do with the Cat's or the amp, but they're all nice bonuses along the highway of life.

A truly blessed Pony
Back to top Go down
matt

matt

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:28 am

Hey......!! all you lucky Aussie cats thanks for all the great storys
I was sitting here in a wee dream world reading them just trying to imagin
I was there thanks again all you guys and I hope the cats find the time to
do the missing UK and Dublin shows so I can have the chance to tell you guys
some of my storys. Rock on.....!!!!
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 am

[quote="pony65k"]Wow Wow Wow!!!!

If you ever read this Brian, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You gave us an incredible show, and then you gave yourself to us. You didn't have to, you wanted to. I can't express what your music has meant to me over the years. It's an incredible gift you've given us and a gift I will willingly pass on to my children (when it happens). You're a true gentleman, good luck to you in all your endeavours in the future. I hope we showed promoters here that Australia loves Brian Setzer, Lee Rocker and Slim Jim Phantom. Don’t be a stranger Wink

To Pete, man where do I start? I've known you less than a year, but you've made a profound impact on my life. You and Tania are two of the most incredible people. To see you together and witness the deep love you have for each other is a privilege. You two have the most incredible family. I pray that Anu and I are as lucky. You're friendship is incredibly special and I know without you there, this experience would not have been as memorable as it was, thank you Pete

René (pony65k)

Well, if this does get back to Brian, the photo I asked you to sign from your younger days was greatly appreciated by my 2 daughters. They can play the Stray Cat Strut riff on guitar and now are asking me to show them Tainted Love! Another legion of fans! Sorry Rene and Anu if my kids chewed your ears off last night! But they really like you both.....actually more Anu than you, I think!

And yes, I agree with EVERYTHING you say about. It is your priviledge! Hahahaha!!
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:20 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:
Sorry Rene and Anu if my kids chewed your ears off last night! But they really like you both.....actually more Anu than you, I think!

And yes, I agree with EVERYTHING you say about. It is your priviledge! Hahahaha!!

Mate, I had a ball last night!! ER & A were fine but you are right, but then everyone likes Anu more than me Wink and I had no doubt in my mind at all that you'd agree with me, no surprise there Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Don't worry Rene, if ya had a good time last night, you won't mind watching them one night for us! hahahaha!!

Please feel free to talk incredibly good about me now. After all, I am a legend!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.   Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pony's account of the final Stray Cat's show in Melbourne, 1st March 2009.
Page 1 of 1