Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BSO Live in Japan DVD

Go down 
+7
jonhope
Twenty Flight Rick
Setzerado
Amity
sidelake bob
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
Andi
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi

Andi

The BSO Live in Japan DVD Empty
PostSubject: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:06 am

I spent the day today getting organized, going through boxes and boxes of stuff in the guest bedroom, deciding what to keep, what to donate, what to toss. Not the most fun or exciting of activities - till I got to the box full of DVDs. As I expected, I found "The Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Extravaganza," which I was given last year AFTER Christmas and haven't yet watched. But I was surprised, excited and embarrassed to find "The Brian Setzer Orchestra Live in Japan," which I had been given as a gift a couple years ago, has never been opened.... and that I completely forgot I owned. I put it on the coffee table and resolved to watch it after I'd finished going through all my stuff. While I worked I poured myself a glass of Australia's best cask red plonk, then another, then another, and finally when I was done going through boxes, I sat down to watch the DVD.

This is one of the most exciting concert DVDs I have ever watched. And that's not just the plonk talkin'.

Health and personal issues make this a stressful time, but somewhere in the middle of "This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof" (only the second song on the DVD) I knew I was onto something special, and the broad grin on my face belied my absolute joy and excitement to be witnessing such an incredible performance - and hell, I own the damn thing! With the surround sound system and subwoofer cranked up, I was bouncin' on the couch, completely oblivious to the dogs barking outside, mesmerized by the television. The band was honestly on fire, every single member appeared to be having the time of their life. The camera work was stellar. Setzer was flawless. My only complaint, and it's only a minor and occasional quibble, was with the audio mix. During "Footloose Doll," with two slinky Vixens on stage, I would've liked their vocals to be a tad more present. Aside from that, I have never received such gratification from a video performance. I also own Harry Connick Jr: The New York Big Band Concert and Roy Orbison's Black and White Night- both of which are fantastic, but neither of which elate me like this did. Some say Setzer should hang up the Big Band. Even I said he should consider a jump blues-style combo. I take it all back after seeing this DVD, gimme more Brian Setzer Orchestra!

Then it was time for the solo and trio performances. I didn't look at the track listing on the back of the DVD, so "I Won't Stand In Your Way" was a genuine and pleasant surprise - and on a baritone guitar, no less! I'll be the first to admit "Mystery Train" is one of my least favourite rockabilly tunes (let's face it, lyrically, it's about as complex and interesting as oatmeal), but when performed by Brian, Mark and Bernie, the enthusiasm is positively infectious. In 2000 I also wasn't crazy about the "Vavoom!" treatments of "Pennsylvania 6-5000" and "In The Mood," but this DVD changed all that.

Then, thinking things couldn't possibly get any better, the band pulls out one of my all time favourite Sinatra tunes, "Get Me To The Church On Time," with a guitarless (yet still highly entertaining) Setzer - something very rare, that I realized I hadn't seen since 1995 when the Guitarslinger took to the stage of a corner bar in San Diego to sing "Mystery Train" with Hot Rod Lincoln, even though he had several beers in him. (Always the consummate performer, that night in So Cal he was willing to give the crowd the entertainment they wanted even if his fingers weren't!) This was completely different, as Setzer danced and gyrated and gesticulated in the absence of the big orange Gretsch.

The supercharged DVD ended with not one but TWO versions of "Rock This Town," one with the full on big band treatment, which found me in a thoroughly emotional state with tears shining in my eyes, followed by the 68 Comeback Special version - undeniably a completely different tune. Not yet having experienced enough, I had to watch the BSO documentary as well, to gain a little insight into the Japanese audience, the guitars and the time.

I don't know why I should be constantly surprised, yet somehow Brian Setzer time and time again manages to completely knock me out. Mr. Setzer, you can count on seeing me at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas to finally witness my very first BSO Christmas show, and that's a promise.

If you already have this DVD, watch it again and remind yourself of the gift that is The Brian Setzer Orchestra. If you haven't seen or don't own "The Brian Setzer Orchestra Live in Japan" DVD, do yourself a favour: GET IT.

Something tells me that very soon I'm gonna have to get meself a copy of "The Brian Setzer Orchestra - One Rockin' Night" as well - I have no doubt it'll be just as jaw-dropping as "Live in Japan."

And that's not just the plonk talkin'.

Last edited by Andi on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lord Vincent Blackshadow

Lord Vincent Blackshadow

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:46 am

All the BSO dvds are top notch entertainment. Cant be beaten. Even the songs that I dont particurlarly care for on cd , are thouroughly enjoyable on the live show dvds. The Brian Setzer Orchestra does put on a great show, no doubt about it.
I've only seen the BSO live , in New york ,back in April 1994. That day they played a few songs at a Sam Goodys store in Manhattan and then that night they played at Webster hall. I saw them both times.
Back to top Go down
sidelake bob

sidelake bob

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:55 am

Live in Japan is pure magic!
Back to top Go down
Amity

Amity

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 4:08 am

Andi you've convinced me and anytime Brian does Sinatra I am as giddy as a school girl. I have been to two BSO shows and am all revved up now for the third.

Incidentally I was cleaning out my garage the whole day yesterday and the only saving grace for me was playing my Brian Setzer tunes.
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 am

This DVD rocks !
All tracks performed by the big band are excellents even the ones I am not big fan of (like the Glen Miller covers) But, curiously, the part that I prefer is the trio one : first time since a long time ago Brian performed I Won't Stand In Your Way and, most of all, my favorite version of Mystery train.

A must have in all collections.
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 6:29 am

Andi I think it's great you've discovered this dvd! My only question is what the hell took you so long? Very Happy BSO is what brought me to the tent as a fan and is still my favorite of Brian's "bands". I agree with your point about the vixens vocals not being upfront enough. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof would have benefited from that as well.

Mystery Train - I've read several writers who have described this tune as Elvis's most influential track. I even have it in a box set devoted entirely to the blues! We can derail this thread with a Mystery Train discussion, but suffice to say the trio version rocks, and Mark Winchester is the best stand up bass player I've ever seen. Period.

The guitars - that dvd is what led me to acquiring a Purple Hot Rod! One Rockin' Night will make a great addition to your collection, but it's nowhere near as good as Japan. Night is an awesome document of early BSO, but to me it just doesn't come close. I was hoping that they would have shot/released one for the Wolfgang tour, but oh well...
Back to top Go down
Twenty Flight Rick

Twenty Flight Rick

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 6:30 am

I love the Glenn Miller covers.
Back to top Go down
jonhope

jonhope

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 7:10 am

Twenty Flight Rick wrote:

and Mark Winchester is the best stand up bass player I've ever seen. Period.

I agree 100% Very Happy

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afterburnerslive
RadiationSteve

RadiationSteve

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Andi, What an utterly FANTASTIC review! Done with such passion and sheer joy!......makes me wanna go watch it now (1.45 in the morning!)
Thanks for sharing this great moment with us.
And i totally agree with the remark that even songs we're not keen on on record are blindingly entertaining to watch and listen to on this dvd.
Surely one of the best music dvd of altime!
Back to top Go down
http://larrynormanpages.ning.com/
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed, Steve. Sorry if I was overly verbose, sometimes you just gotta share these emotions with people you know will get where you're coming from!

sunny
Back to top Go down
badkitty

badkitty

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:10 am

It's a great vid Andi, and I'm so glad you finally saw it. Brian's energy, enthusiasm and showmanship are in full force here, along side his incredible talent. The band plays really tight together, and the Vixens just add to the WOW factor. You'll love the Christmas Extravaganza as well. I actually attended that show at the Gibson, and thought it was pretty cool, captured for the ages. Do you have the "Rumble in Brixton." DVD? If not, get it; another gem! Smile
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:41 am

Rumble is definitely on the "to get" list badkitty, right after things settle down a little bit for me! It's tough to prioritize DVDs and CDs and the like when there are so many great LIVE shows to be experienced in the next few months, but I'll find a way!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 am

You do realize I have tortured my family with this DVD at least once a month since it first came out. Sometimes it is just left on replay for days on end. Smile

It keeps the insanity fresh..

Think I'll watch it again tonight..thanks
The BSO Live in Japan DVD Manson1a
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:50 am

I wonder whether Setzer would ever release on DVD these 2 BSO shows:

27 Oct 97 - Las Vegas
2 Nov 99 - Tokyo

I mention this because when "One Rockin Night" was advertised for release on briansetzer.com and I can't remember exactly the comment about the idea of releasing this show, maybe it was due to the huge amount of bootleg DVDs containing this gig and its popularity amongst bootleg collectors... Since the 2 shows I'm mentioning have been broadcasted on TV, I think that Brian could get the rights to release them....

I think it would be a nice idea, and some other TV broadcasts by Setzer solo and Stray Cats are coming to my memory too...

I am also thinking abut the posibility to released a DVD with all the Setzer clips , you know, The Knife, REbelene, I'm Only In It For The Honey, Sexy Sexy and some others by the BSO... that would be great for the fans.

What you think about this, folks??

PS - sorry Andi, if I've deviated a bit your topic, but I think this would suit this thread.
Back to top Go down
kbilly

kbilly

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:31 pm

that 'Vegas show, they were hangin loose and runnin wild. I may have to watch it again tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BSO Live in Japan DVD   The BSO Live in Japan DVD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The BSO Live in Japan DVD
Page 1 of 1