Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?

Go down 
+31
Brent
Hot Rod Girl
Amity
WildCat
Budgie
crazy mixed up kid
Guitarmaniac
Daddio
Le Hub'
pony65k
sidelake bob
cosbird
Dave
wee mark
Kiki
Sharky
laurent327
Tommy Maguire
Andi
ScottS
Kid Setzer
Brett
Pistol Pete
scatcatcnut
Setzerado
Lord Vincent Blackshadow
gretschkat57
Jess
badkitty
Rickabilly
BSO_Rocks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 pm

cosbird wrote:
have just looked back on the headline of this post and have realised that a lot of people are going to be reading through this thread hoping to get gossip on T & B only to end up reading about imelda.... Very Happy Very Happy ..... the path to fame ehhh....

As it should be... Very Happy

Imelda May and Darrel Higham are everything that's right about rockabilly today. I could live off their music for months... except now Tommy has me all distracted flippin' through Monkees albums and now Adam and the Ants.

Nevermind the Ants and Monkees. Tonight, the streets are Mr. and Mrs. Higham's

Gettin' Higham-billy
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 pm

yeah man....Imelda is fantastic and well.....Darrel is a top-notch dood. Great player, great human being. They were on Jools Holland not too long ago and they knocked me out. Finally, some well deserved exposure for people who really deserve it!

Rockin' at the coconut top,
Tommy
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Imelda rocks !
Love Tattoo is a fantastic record somewhere between Rockabilly & Jazz.
"There's a rainbow 'round my shoulder and I'm in looooooooooooove !" (Sorry)
Back to top Go down
Daddio

Daddio

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Tommy Maguire wrote:
There are so many Adam tracks that I like....I love the first Ants record, "Dirk Wears White Sox", the "Kings" stuff is amazing....some of "Friend or Foe"....some of "Prince Charming"....all of "Wonderful" and "Vive Le Rock"...none of "Strip" (lol! hate that entire record)...."Manners & Physique" is superb and entirely different than all of his other work. I will say this....I think Matthew Ashman was a much more interesting guitar player than Marco is. Just my opinion though.

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of,
T

And would fright then be something not to ridicule?
I've always got Adam's back, man. He put it out for all to see and hear back in the day. When I was a kid, Gang of 4, A. Ant, Clash...heck, even
the Dead Kennedys, Talking Heads, well, you get my drift.
"Gokla hey" indeed!
"Blackfoot, Pawnee, Cheyenne, Crow! Apache, A-rap-a-hoe."
(I know you're singin' it now, man. And you know I know! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:22 am

You guys gotta see this one....The Monkees on the Johnny Cash show. Let it roll through the "Last Train..." silliness and watch Mike Nesmith sing "Nine Times Blue"....great stuff, in my ear anyway....(from 1:25 to 3:49)

Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:17 am

Thanks, for posting that link Dave.

Its a new one to me................But the visa card is out,for Imelda May, awsome sound, who is the bass player?

Wee Mark. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:34 am

Imelda May now ordered, from hmv.....................£7.99 free postage. Nae bad!

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 am

Tommy Maguire wrote:
I've been listening to loads of Richard Hawley lately and Boz Boorer's new CD, "Miss Pearl" is a cracker!

Very Happy

-Tommy M

Hey Tommy just been reading an interview with Boz and you get name checked as co-writer on a track - I hadn't realised - is very modest of you not to mention it!
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 am

heres the quote

Is the whole album covers or are some your own (B29/Dollar Short?)
B29 and Dollar Short were out on a Japanese 45 me and Tommy Maguire wrote B29 and Steve Hooker wrote Dollar Short, it's a mixture of covers and my songs
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 am

Scatcatcnut,
Modesty is the best policy, that's what I say! hahahaa!
-T
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 am

You know now, of course that all of us 'Tommy-ites' will be checking out your work!
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:10 am

Tommy, re Boz Boorer - what was division of labour - were you words or music or bit of both?
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 12:05 pm

I wrote the words in the mid 1990s. "B-29 (Droppin' Bombs on Your Heart)" is a love song written to the plaintiff, my ex-wife. Boz added the music in the late 1990s. It sat in his musical arsenal unreleased until he put it out as the b-side of a Japanese single (called "Dollar Short") in 2006. I found a copy in a Tokyo record shop in 2007 and was elated....but I should have thought twice before sharing my excitement with my Japanese hosts. Showing a crowd of people from Tokyo a single called "B-29" is not something I'd recommend doing. I was the ultimate American idiot that day.

-T
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 1:45 pm

You have quite the history, Tommy!

All this talk of the Monkees reminded me of something I read recently:

"Mickey Dolenz owned the third Moog Synthesizer ever commercially sold (the first two belonged to Wendy Carlos and Buck Owens); his performance on The Monkees song "Daily Nightly" (written by Michael Nesmith) was the first use of a synthesizer on a rock recording. He eventually sold his instrument to Bobby Sherman."

Any talk of the Monkees not having talent (or not being able to play any instruments) is pretty much baseless.

My mom was a big Monkees fan in 1967 and introduced me to them. I went crazy for them in 1986-87, just in time for their 20th anniversary tour. Sadly, no Nesmith.
Back to top Go down
Sharky

Sharky

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Tommy,

OMG the BUGGALOOS!!!!!!

I was so totally Sid and Marty Kroft -

I never missed any of them, but my favorite was "The Secrets of Isis !"

New Land of the Lost movie in production with Will Farrell as Marshall . . .
Back to top Go down
http://www.jerrylinger.com
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:09 pm

I don't know what's more shocking - that Mickey Dolenz owned the third Moog Synthesizer or that Buck Owens owned one of the first two.

Very informative thread. So, to catch up those who don't want to wade through the first 4 pages of this thread:

Tommy's unintentional political incorrectness regarding the B-29 song angered Yoko Ono, who was jealous of Mickey Dolenz's Moog synthesizer, so she sold Brian's White Falcon to Marco, who let Adam Ant pose with it on stage, and so now Tommy's busy writing and arranging songs for the Buggles tribute album, featuring Richard Hawley, Imelda May, and Boz Boorer. Meanwhile, Brian looks for lyrical inspiration to top the Dylan-esque Bad Bad Girl (in a Bad Bad World.)

Have I got that right? Or is it Seltzer?

Fact check-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:14 pm

I think it's Seltzer!!!

Let's get to the basics, I'll teach you how to play a burning guitar with your teeth^^
I love the Simpsons!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabillyguitarmaniac
crazy mixed up kid

crazy mixed up kid

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Mr T

FYI

As you are aware hes been doing a bit of work for Tony Christie of late....a bit of Sheffield Steel.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/arts_entertainment/music/interview+richard+hawley/2630967

CMUK
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 1:22 am

I don`t know about you lot, but i`m waiting for Tommy`s autobiography to come out !! He`s been everywhere, done loads, that will be one helluva interesting read !!

Dave
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 2:29 am

Crazy Mixed Up, thanks for the links. Great stuff. RH is always up to something. We spoke late on Monday night and he gave me some insight into how his new album is coming along. Can't wait to hear it. There are also plans for him to return to the States. Apparently, Starbucks used one of his tracks, can't recall which, on one of their compilation CDs and it's generated some interest. If America weren't tone deaf, artists like Rich wouldn't have to rely on yuppie coffee shacks for attention, but whatever it takes. Have you seen the film he's in with Faye Dunaway, "Flick"? Yeah...he's always up to something.

Dave, I will write a book someday...but it would be in everyone's best interest if I let some time go by. I need to forget some of the things I know.....lol

Sharky, are you serious about the "Land of the Lost" thing? That show still gives me nightmares! Have you seen the actress who played Holly lately? ouch.

Love from the City of Champions,
Dr. Shrinker
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:29 am

[quote="Rickabilly"]I don't know what's more shocking - that Mickey Dolenz owned the third Moog Synthesizer or that Buck Owens owned one of the first two.

Buck Owens by far!!!
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 5:02 am

Dave wrote:
I don`t know about you lot, but i`m waiting for Tommy`s autobiography to come out !! He`s been everywhere, done loads, that will be one helluva interesting read !!

Dave

All I know is that if there's ONE WORD in there about me ever cryin', it's ALL LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!

Always dry in the eye,
Budge
Back to top Go down
Tommy Maguire

Tommy Maguire

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 5:24 am

Friends....I would like to share with you a bit of my forthcoming autobiography.

Chapter 26: Stray Bats - Tears Are Shed at Roslyn Park

My desire to involve the guitar slinger's fans in our personal lives and make them feel special knew no bounds. This was never more in evidence than in 2004 when I insisted that a lonely fan, John "Budgie" Ritchie, join my rockin' friend and I for a catch at my local baseball park. What was intended to be a wonderful opportunity for Budgie to get to know the REAL Grammy winner was off to a great start. The smile on Budgie's face spoke volumes and I felt a bit like Oprah must feel when she buys a house for a poor family. The sun was shining in our hearts and in the sky.

Until the line drive...
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 5:31 am

Tommy Maguire wrote:
Until the line drive...

My attorneys are standing by.

Sharky?

Sol Rosenberg
Back to top Go down
Andi

Andi

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 5:52 am

I always wondered about those references to Budgie crying. Okay, who threw the bat at Budgie??

Budgie, you had every right to shed tears. That sh*t hurts!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?   Tommy M and Brian have parted ways? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tommy M and Brian have parted ways?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next