Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge, Brian Setzer Fans

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

bsetzer.com

Go down 
+52
Setzerado
Babs
Bear85
cosbird
Pirate Paul
Sharky
FrenchyCat
brucie68
rubydoll5
scatcatcnut
Drew Sugar1
vic
ScottS
Andi
crazy mixed up kid
Guitarmaniac
Twenty Flight Rick
MEMPHISSUN
laurent327
Davy Jones
webelvis
rockabilly guy
WildCat
Rockabilly Ross
donpepe
JC
Pistol Pete
pony65k
Aussie_Sam
Rocky Mountain Cat
sidelake bob
Tommy Maguire
Carbon Cat UK
Cristo
tvthewiredturtle
enjay07
nietsk
matt
Le Hub'
Hot Rod Girl
Kiki
Kid Setzer
Scatman
kbilly
Pinkpiratekitty
gretschoholic
Dave
Rickabilly
Brett
Hepkitten
Amity
Spanishdavid
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

bsetzer.com - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 pm

Pinkpiratekitty wrote:
kbilly wrote:
so if i get banned from the BS site and I get banned from this site does that make me a Double Rockabilly Rebel ?!
Woo Hoo! well all right. Count me in!

I think it would! The more places your banned, the more rebel you are I guess. Wink

Oh no! This isn't going to turn into a "really rockabilly" conversation, now, is it? Very Happy

affraid
hrg
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Hot Rod Girl wrote:
Pinkpiratekitty wrote:
kbilly wrote:
so if i get banned from the BS site and I get banned from this site does that make me a Double Rockabilly Rebel ?!
Woo Hoo! well all right. Count me in!

I think it would! The more places your banned, the more rebel you are I guess. Wink

Oh no! This isn't going to turn into a "really rockabilly" conversation, now, is it? Very Happy

affraid
hrg

Nah - just playing around clown
Back to top Go down
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:14 am

Hi all,
I just want to say this : for me, Tom Maguire has always done an excellent work on briansetzer.com and the site is still really really great. This said, his idea of making an "official" forum was not a good one, just because there was an official forum here on HDVDL since a long time.
Last thing, I inderstand when some people ("banned" from a fan site !) say that Tom is NOT Brian, he's "just" the guy from briansetzer.com.
Back to top Go down
matt

matt

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Rickabilly wrote:
Everything that made that website an invaluable resource for the fans is gone. Everything. It feels like the fans are being taken for granted, pushed away, or both.

The tireless work performed by Tommy on a near-daily basis made that site a cut above most other musician sites. I hope going forward, some notice is taken as to the value of the online community of fans, who have helped sustain Brian's career in the post-Dirty Boogie years. Fan interest in Brian's career continues year-round now, rather than just a couple of weeks before and after an album or tour. I suppose that presents some challenges, but on the whole, I think that's a positive thing.

I can already hear the insiders saying "the only thing fans are entitled to is the enjoyment of the music, be it an album or concert." Fair enough. But I have a lot of respect for the fans' loyalty through TWO Christmas albums and the incredible variety presented in the last three non-holiday releases: Rockabilly Riot, 13, and Wolfgang's Big Night Out. Fans with a more fickle and less refined musical pallette might have turned their back on Setzer. But I believe the comraderie amongst the fans who gather here and those who make the daily pilgrimage to the official site help to keep that flame burning.

Lately, it seems like someone is doing their best to extinguish that flame. I hope I'm wrong about that, but in case I'm not, I will offer this:

Be careful what you wish for.

Karma-billy

well said Rick your a clever guy ye nice thoughts put very well

but I think somebodys pissed Tommy off BIG time...!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
nietsk

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 2:51 pm

matt wrote:

well said Rick your a clever guy ye nice thoughts put very well

I agree with that but I have something I have to get of my chest. I had the idea that before the re registration Rickabilly, you where less critical. I am very pasionate with my things. I love setzer but on the other sidehave loads of things I (think I) need to complain about. (and there's my limitation of being dutch and so unable to express my self as subtle as some of you.) I found it hard to be critical on this forum (and on the other even more) because some people could not stand to hear anything 'not praising' about Brian. So I stopped it. In my head rab, you where one of those people. If I'm wrong with that I do appologise!! But I do like your posts on this matter the last weeks much more.. You stay nice but you let me know that it's not blind worshipping.. (not that I mean that that was so 'before' but now I get that idea more.. )

On the subject, I was waiting for some time now before posting but I think it's kinda strange that a couple of dates have been cancelled and the reactions I've seen so far, is it. Again, and I say it again so nobody will have to tell me, I don't think anybody owes me something. The absence of info appears to me as a radio sillence. I have the idea that Tommy used to be around all the time. After the tour was cancelled I didn't read anything from him. Same with Lee ('s site), he was doing a blog but has not shared something since 31? of august. Maybe it was nicer when they stayed in touch with all those people who try to stay in touch with them as they did to promote the tour.. This makes me think there is a reason for this reaction and that does not feel fair to me.

Just-my-humble-feelings-no-grieve-a-nietsk
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Nietsk--
I'm not sure if I'm understanding all of what you're saying, but I'm picking up that you're of the mindset "something just isn't right." (I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if I'm misunderstanding).
I agree with you...something feels weird around here and I can't quite put my finger on it either.
(fade in eery Stephen King horror movie music.....) No
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:25 pm

It does feel strange, the "somethings not quite as it should be" feeling. But when all is said and done, I'm grateful for the short time that the music player was up over on bs.com, and I'm grateful for this forum rising from the ashes of the hacker attack.

Take care all,
hrg
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:39 pm

enjay07 wrote:
Nietsk--
I'm not sure if I'm understanding all of what you're saying, but I'm picking up that you're of the mindset "something just isn't right." (I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if I'm misunderstanding).
I agree with you...something feels weird around here and I can't quite put my finger on it either.
(fade in eery Stephen King horror movie music.....) No

Maybe it's just the down feeling you have after an event is over? You've been waiting for it and now that it's over, you're a little blue?
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Nietsk,

Thanks for the complimentary words. I think you express yourself in English quite well.

This board is populated by Brian Setzer fans, as was the other board. It's only natural that 99% of the posts here are going to be praising Setzer/Setzer's music or defending him against someone's criticism. When criticizing, you can stand your ground if you like, or decide it's not worth the backlash and keep the negative views to yourself. I think the challenge for the critical points of view is that greater care must be taken to get one's point across without coming across as a bitter, whiny jerk. The positive posts are not held to remotely as high a standard. They can be quite simple, such as "Woo Hoo!" or "This album rocks!" What some people don't seem to understand is that it is possible to be a fan of most things Setzer and still have some opinions that are formed from something other than blind loyalty. Being critical of Wolfgang or 13 because they aren't "rockabilly" enough, for example, (I enjoy both albums, by the way) may accurately represent some points of view. But be prepared to read 7-10 posts passionately supporting an opposite point of view. Hopefully, they're defending their point of view without attacking the person with the opposing viewpoint.

The main difference between this board and the official board is that this board is moderated by fans who love Brian's music, but aren't put in the occasionally tenuous position of being an employee of Brian Setzer. I'm not commenting on what it's like to work for Brian or his management company, as I have no idea, but you have to understand that they are being paid to be loyal and fiercely protective of their employer and product. That alone makes it difficult to support an "official" forum with any sort of objectivity or freedom of expression. Most posts here, unless they're personal attacks on other members, are welcome, or at least not subject to immediate deletion.

I think not having a direct link to this forum from the official site helps immensely, as it tends to weed out the more impulsive people, who might blow into here just to cause trouble. I do miss having something new and interesting to read, watch, or listen to on the official website practically every day. It appears to me that Brian and his management have decided it's a bit of a chore maintaining such a personal connection to the fans, and so they have retreated into a mode where they keep the fans informed more strictly on a "need to know" basis. That's a shame. But they (not Tommy) own that site and can do whatever they wish with it. This "bud lite" version of the site, among other recent events has reinforced a couple of lessons from long ago:

1) Don't take anything for granted
2) Beware of porcelain Gods

Long live the Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge!

Express-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 9:32 pm

Rickabilly wrote:

2) Beware of porcelain Gods

I don't understand this saying... You mean, even Gods can break or have cracks in them when you get too close?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:39 pm

First of all, it has nothing to do with indoor plumbing.

The higher the pedestal upon which you place something, the greater the chance it will shatter when it falls.

If I dissect it too much here, the metaphor will undoubtedly lose its impact. But essentially, in the world of the "superfan," you have to be careful in your enjoyment of the music and the artist not to invest too much time building up your heroes who are merely human beings with extraordinary talents. They become "porcelain Gods," who will, in the eyes of the superfan, "shatter" the instant they "fall," or do something to disappoint you.

This notion is summed up rather nicely in Paul Weller's lyrics:

Beware false prophets - take a stand!
My fortune cookie cracked up in my hand,
More advice to fill up your head
More empty words from the living dead-
Who seek to explain what can't really be said-
And how disappointed I was
To turn out after all -
Just a porcelain God -
that shatters when it falls-

Too much will kill you - too little ain't enough
You shout my name but I'll call your bluff
Most who see me - see me not for real
We fake & fawn - play games 'til dawn

But I could see what you can see
And I hate too what you hate in me -
And how disappointed I am
To find me part of no plan -
Just a porcelain God -
that shatters when it falls

I shake it off and start again
"Don't lose control" - I tell myself,
Life can take many things away -
Some people will try - and take it all
They'll pick off pieces as they watch you crawl
And how disappointed I was
To turn out after all -
Just a porcelain God -
that shatters when it falls-
That shatters when it falls.

Of course, that's just my interpretation of the saying. Keep things in their proper perspective.

Fortune Cookie-billy
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 12:06 am

...and now your moment of zen

bsetzer.com - Page 2 Istockphoto_2593873_cleaning_the_toilet_taking_precautions
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 am

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
...and now your moment of zen

bsetzer.com - Page 2 Istockphoto_2593873_cleaning_the_toilet_taking_precautions

Ha ha! With two boys and a hubby....I think I need this getup! Very Happy

Put the lid down when you're finished!
hrg
Back to top Go down
enjay07

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:17 am

HRG & TV--
I have 2 boys as well (got rid of the hubby though...).
I've instituted what I call a "sit down house." Very Happy Those kind of scrubbin' days are over!

And for some odd reason...both my boys fight over who "gets" to scrub the toilet! I must've done something right!!! scratch
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am

enjay07 wrote:
HRG & TV--
I've instituted what I call a "sit down house." Very Happy Those kind of scrubbin' days are over!

And for some odd reason...both my boys fight over who "gets" to scrub the toilet! I must've done something right!!! scratch

..With 2 young sons 'n myself, my wife's on her own. We had to
teach her to stand n pee.

mwhahahahahahahahah tongue tongue
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 3:49 pm

tvthewiredturtle wrote:
enjay07 wrote:
HRG & TV--

so is that pic of you scubbing up after your wife? Laughing

And are you "praying to the porcelain god" (since we're talking about porcelain anyway)

Last edited by Pinkpiratekitty on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error - of course!)
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Pinkpiratekitty wrote:
tvthewiredturtle wrote:
enjay07 wrote:
HRG & TV--

so is that pic of you scubbing up after your wife? Laughing

And are you "praying to the porcelain god" (since we're talking about porcelain anyway)

hey how did you know what a musicians job at home is! Ironically I need to take care of that before
that lovely woman gets home from work. king
Back to top Go down
Cristo

Cristo

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:19 pm

You guys are too funny.

Rickabilly - I really enjoy reading your posts. I'd like to add my two cents; it seems like to me that there are too many illusions of perfection in life. I mean, the fact that I can realize that these illusions exist is an accomplishment, I think. I guess I'm applying this in quite a broad manner. What I mean is, if you really like something (or someone) - love, even - expecting it to be perfect is simply not realistic. It's just a fantasy, and once you accept that, the real appreciation and love really shines through. Once you bust all that 'perfect' nonsense outta your head, you can really start to love something.

I paraphrased that from somewhere. Poorly, too. Anyway, I believe in it.

Let's make it official: Of all my worldly possessions, the album "13" has been my favorite since I picked it up the day it showed up on the record store shelves. I could be whistlin' a tune off that album and step right over a $100 bill, and not even notice.
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 9:51 am

Hi All
I emailed Tommy the other day to ask what was happening with the Brian Setzer forum because it went off line after the Paris incident and this was the reply:

Question:
High Tommy
Are you ever going to get the forum up and running again????
Carbon Cat UK

Answer:
CC,
I have nothing to do with Brian Setzer or the Stray Cats websites anymore.
Cheers.
Tommy
----- Original Message -----
To: BrianSetzerSite@comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:32 PM
Subject: Setzer Forum????
Back to top Go down
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:02 am

Carbon Cat UK wrote:
Hi All
I emailed Tommy the other day to ask what was happening with the Brian Setzer forum because it went off line after the Paris incident and this was the reply:

Question:
High Tommy
Are you ever going to get the forum up and running again????
Carbon Cat UK

Answer:
CC,
Cheers.
Tommy
----- Original Message -----
To: BrianSetzerSite@comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:32 PM
Subject: Setzer Forum????

Wow. Wonder what happened. Hope Tommy's okay. Shocked
Back to top Go down
tvthewiredturtle

tvthewiredturtle

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:05 am

I hate to be one burrito short of a combo, but somebody elaborate on
the "paris incident". No gossip, just facts please. scratch
Back to top Go down
Brett

Brett

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 am

In Paris somebody of the crowd threw a knife (or a thing looking like a knife) on Brian Setzer. He didn`t like it (for sure) and said it. After that they played only one song (I fought the law) and show was over.
I donĀ“t think it was a real offense, but it was totaly stupid. French people really like the Stray Cats and now everybody is talking about the "Paris incedent".

But Tommy is out?
Wow...on his myspace all Setzer and Stray Cats links are gone.

@Tommy, if you read this: a lot of us fans really appreciated your work.
All the best to you and let us know how things goin for you.

Brett
(Jurgen)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rhythm56
Le Hub'

Le Hub'

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:46 am

Cheers.
Tommy
Shocked

With that kind of answer, for sure all his links (Brian Setzer, Stray Cats) are gone...
Back to top Go down
Rickabilly

Rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 am

I'm not sure how cool it is to post an email that Tommy sent only to you on this forum.

It seems as though a number of us have received this information lately, and I hope any conversation posted here focuses on well-wishes for Tommy and gratitude for all he has done in helping to build and maintain fan interest in the music of Brian Setzer 365 days a year for most of the last 10 years.

You can lament the things that are no longer part of the official site, and know that most anything good that remains is largely the fruits of his hard work. Brian's fans were tremendously lucky to have access to Tommy's talents. Brian Setzer, even more so.

Showing support for Tommy, by the way, shouldn't stop you from enjoying Brian's music. After all, that's what brought you here in the first place.

Personally, I came here because of Brian Setzer, but I stayed because of all the great people here who happen to be Setzer fans. And I might not have met a single one of you without the efforts of Tommy Maguire, who put together a great site and maintained that first "official" forum all those years ago.

Cheers, T!

Rick-a-Tommy
Back to top Go down
Carbon Cat UK

Carbon Cat UK

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Rickabilly

I know that the email was sent personally to me,but could see nothing that was vindictive or private in it that Tommy wouldnt want anyone to know,thats the only reason I posted the email as it was and didnt tell a story about it,so that folks could see the genuine article.
I think Tommy is a great guy and can never remember a time when he has'nt replied to my emails or threads on the forum. He did a fantastic job and seems like a real genuine guy. I just hope he's doin OK.
Will there still be a Brian Setzer.com???
I am glad that I have found this site because its great to talk to other fans again and catch up on whats going on out there in The Brian Setzer and Stray Cat World-abilly.
Sorry for being so uncool-abilly Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Regards
CC/UK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bsetzer.com   bsetzer.com - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bsetzer.com
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hoodoo Voodoo Lounge :: All things Setzer-